Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I noticed this issue with my AC two or three days go. When my fans are on and on recirculate (or not even on recirculate for that matter), I press on the AC button and it turns on, but, I hear a high pitched squeak that won't go away. I noted this to my Subaru service advisor yesterday when having my car serviced (60K), and he wrote the concern down but never found anything. Tried my AC on the way home and the squeaking made itself known. Any ideas?? Thank so much!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The situation: When your air conditioner turns on, the outside unit makes a very loud screeching noise — like metal on metal. The sound persists until the unit shuts off. Most likely cause: The fan motor bearings are shot. If this is the case, you'll need to have your fan motor replaced.

If your unit is making a high-pitched squealing noise, the issue is usually either the belt connecting the motor to the blower has slipped or the bearings on your condenser fan's motor. Most newer air conditioners don't use a belt system, so if your unit is older, that is likely the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts