Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2018 for 4 . months but never needed off-road in Texas, but in a few days will be in Skamokawa WA and will have to navigate up steep gravel lumber roads. Lumber trucks do it. I'm a bit nervous as I will be in the middle of nowhere- I have a great dog with me but she wont be able to pull or push me. Any advice? Is putting it in X mode all I need to know? I understand it deactivates if I go over 25 MPH which I just won't do. Do I still keep it in D mode or something else? If I go over a cliff the drop will be several hundred feet but the roads are 15 ft wide. I'm mostly used to city driving. The 8.7" clearance should be more than enough as the parts of the road I walked seemed in decent shape.

Any advice? I really have no options aside from driving this- and I could be over-reacting. Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never used X-Mode, but from what I recall reading in the manual it's for DOWNhill decent control, not UP. Not sure what, if any, benefit it would have going up hills.

If you meant that you'll be going up and down hills, then sure throw it on, just not sure it's going to do anything beneficial for you.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Make sure you have your back-country gear with you. Axe, shovel, saw, common sense, etc.

artosa

·
Registered
161 Posts
X-mode absolutely helps with uphill climbing. It adjusts throttle response to prevent sudden changes in wheel torque, adjusts the gear shift points, and changes the front/rear AWD power distribution to improve traction. I've found it very useful when ascending steep snow/ice covered roads, particularly when the road surface is uneven.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sorry I can't comment on X-Mode as we just got the 2019 Limited yesterday and haven't had it off paved roads yet. However, our old '07 Outback was all over Washington back roads and old logging roads as well as current logging country. We also have property up an hour outside of town in middle of no where with some nasty roads getting there. Aside from bottoming out in a few spots, the old Outback did fine about everywhere, even in some areas we probably shouldn't have been. I'm excited to test out the X-Mode in the new Crosstrek to compare the differences and see how it does. Parts of the Colockum are quite steep and very rocky just outside of town so we'll get a good feel for it this weekend. Learning to pick a good line is key and knowing where your tires are at all four corners as well as how the car behaves when you run a tire over an obstacle and which way it leans, etc. These Subarus do some amazing things and surprise a lot of people with their capabilities with a good driver behind the wheel. Just go slow and think it through if it gets too rough. Log trucks handle some pretty rough stuff but lose money if they can't deliver in time so they keep the roads pretty decent. I think you'll be well equipped with the car. Just make sure you have plenty of food/water should something happen. I keep a cut down full size shovel and a strap with me as well but usually only need those items in the winter with snow. Summer time is usually never an issue so long as you use common sense on where you're going. Enjoy your time here!

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hate to say it but from what you're describing, you are over reacting a little but by no means take that as a slight toward you. These are truly shocking little cars.

As artosa said always bring back country gear. I have to add carpet strips (or recovery tracks if you want to be fancy) to that list. They can really come in hand even over rock stuff, though they're best used in sand. Also if your'e out there alone watch a couple videos about self recovering techniques. The Xtrek is so small you can just about dig it about of any stuck situation.

Xmode is super beneficial for both descent and ascent as well as just crawling a line over rough terrain. In descent Xmode will hold the car at 12mph without you having to brake. If you want it to hold the car at a slower speed, use the brake to slow the car to the desired speed and then release the brake, the car will hold at that speed without you using the brake at all. In Ascent and crawl Xmode holds the cvt in a lower gear ratio but also softens the throttle response which makes climbing/crawling considerably more controlled. I've been figuratively crucified by my 4x4 buddies for saying this but its almost like having a crawl gear in a Subaru.

Yes I would suggest just leaving the car in D when using Xmode. You can fiddle around with putting it in manual and forcing it into a desired gear but at the end of the day its really more of a distraction when you would probably be best letting the car do that part of the thinking and focusing on the track.

Last month I did a several day trip following mostly logging and forest service roads through the Appalachians and the car was right at home. I only ran Xmode where I felt I needed it. Just like Mike said, logging roads are typically in decent to good condition and stock subies have been at home in these kinds of conditions for decades now. Not only do I think you'll be fine out there, I think you're gonna have a great time! If you see/do anything cool make sure to take some pictures and share with us. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that can only sanely get from one trip to the next by living vicariously through the adventures of others!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
X-mode absolutely helps with uphill climbing. It adjusts throttle response to prevent sudden changes in wheel torque, adjusts the gear shift points, and changes the front/rear AWD power distribution to improve traction. I've found it very useful when ascending steep snow/ice covered roads, particularly when the road surface is uneven.
We have a winner! This is exactly what I found after I got home with my new Crosstrek. Per the owners manual x-mode kicks off at 24mph. I tested it at a relatives farm and went everywhere the 4 wheelers went uphill and downhill using x-mode then again w/o x-mode engaged and you can definitely feel the difference. I kept it in manual mode in 2nd gear most of the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So we got a chance to use X-Mode in our 2019 Crosstrek Limited yesterday and I have to say I'm very impressed with this little car! Drove up to top of Poll Flats area in the Colockum up around 5400' up pretty rough rocky road scouting for elk. Great majority of the road is all rock varying in size with lots of washout sections and some pesky erosion control run off ditches. I was never able to get our '07 Outback up to the top of this road due to ground clearance issues and bottoming out the car with no way to maintain forward traction. I prefer slow crawl as much as possible but use momentum when necessary. The car 3 wheeled a bunch in several sections and was teetering on 2 wheels on opposing corners a few times crossing rough washout sections. The car spun out several times while crawling and we lost forward momentum just spinning out. After stopping and engaging X-Mode, it pulled the car through and out of these rough spots without issue. We still spun tires 3 wheeling and teetering in a couple spots, but X-Mode pulled us through and up, it was really pretty cool feeling it happen. I was actually amazed at how well the car did crawling up this road.

After hiking around a while and making the trip back down, I was a bit worried as it's a pretty steep grade and going down is very difficult if you're not geared low enough. Trying to go down in normal "D" mode was not happening- car just wants to run away. I played with manual mode a bit and put it in 1st though still not sure how this is supposed to work as there's really no gears I guess it just keeps rpm lower maybe? Anyway, 1st in manual was not ideal either as it still wanted to run away. This is where X-Mode shined. The road is very rough and rocky and steep- it took me a bit to figure out that I was on the brakes trying to hold the car back after engaging X-Mode so the car took over and we were literally crawling just a few feet at time. Almost annoyingly slow in fact as it was trying to essentially keep us stopped. We'd roll forward faster with the rocks sliding under us than what the car was doing. After playing around a bit I discovered what others have mentioned though I'm not sure on the actual speed part of it. If you engage X-Mode and let it go, then once moving touch the brakes, the car will slow to whatever you are trying to do with the brakes. Because it was so steep and I was trying to go so slow, it thought we essentially wanted to be stopped and I think that's what it was mimicking. Letting it roll a bit more at a couple mph, it was able to hold and maintain a nice slow steady decent without me riding the brakes. Granted it's still using the brakes for control, but I don't feel like I'm riding them which makes it much less stressful going down. I am VERY impressed with this car. This road is not one we'd normally take in the Subaru clear to the top and had never been able to get there before in the old Outback, but it's nice to know the Crosstrek can do it. This is probably the most aggressive road we'd take this car on as I have a Jeep for anything worse but it is still very cool seeing what the car is capable of. X-Mode is absolutely beneficial for both up hill and down hill and a very cool feature Subaru has done quite well with. I'm very impressed with this little Crosstrek and X-Mode is absolutely worth having if you venture off the paved roads.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yup, it is especially good where the trucks have spun out causing loose gravel/sand on a steep portion. I just push X-Mode and let it walk up those portions without fuss/mus straddling the holes and ruts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts