Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would write a short review of my Hybrid experience in an effort that to help anyone out there that may be lurking and thinking about purchasing a Crosstrek. Sorry if this gets long.

I recently purchased a Crosstrek Hybrid and now have over 1500 miles on it, I am averaging 32.8 mpg based on actual not the computer.

I have a long commute, over 30,000 miles per year, I commute backroads, hills, stop and go traffic, and all out highway. I also live in an area that will feel the brunt of winter.
This is my first Subaru, up until now I have owned VW's for many years. My initial plan before I bought the XV was to wait an get the new 2015 VW Golf diesel.
I was fortunate to start my research at a dealer on a weeknight that was empty and I test drove a number of Subarus. The only thing I didn't like about the gas only Crosstrek was I found the cabin to not be as quiet as I would have liked compared to my previous VW's. When I started talking numbers with the manager he mentioned that he really could not "deal" much on the Crosstrek because they sell as soon as they hit the lot. He did mention however that they have a few Crosstrek hybrids he could make a really nice deal on. I drove one and found the cabin to be quiet and the added power to be a nice addition. I left that dealer with some basic numbers and started to do more homework thinking that I may be able to get the hybrid with the same features as a gas Crosstrek without paying as much of a premium.
I visited 2 other Subaru dealers and found the same thing. No good deals on the gas XV but willing to really deal on the hybrid. All 3 dealers I visited said the same thing, they were slotted to sell more hybrids but are lucky to sell one a month. I ended up paying not the $3000 premium for the hybrid but only $800 more than the best price I could negotiate on the gas XV that was similarly equipped. (not exactly the same options but close.) I also got 0.9% financing vs. 2.9% for gas only. In the end the finance manger mentioned what I was hearing before, that they have to deal on the hybrids because they sit on the lot too long. I have been watching the dealers inventory that I purchased from and they have the same hybrids on the lot that they had when I purchased. (about a month ago)

A few things that I have found over the last number of weeks:
I read that some people don't like the stop start, I don't have any issues with it. It starts immediately and smoothly for me every time. I also read a review about it "wandering" on the highway. I could not disagree more. I find it solid on the highway even in some winds. The hybrid is quiet and has the power range I need. I have the basic stereo and it is fine. Easy to pair bluetooth, my music, pandora, and Sirius work like a champ. The speakers are really just average though. I can see why people would replace them.
I have taken it off road and it is fun, amazing what it tackles with ease. You can really get some awesome mpg numbers in stop and go traffic if you use a light foot and a little common sense. I think the size of the vehicle is perfect, my family of 4 and our gear fits fine and it makes navigating a busy parking lot a piece of cake. It also fits me well, I am very tall with a 38" inseam and have just enough leg and headroom. I don't have the moonroof, I lost too much headroom with it.
I am very pleased with my first Subaru and would encourage anyone looking at a Crosstrek hybrid to negotiate hard with the dealer and maybe it will work out well for you too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm surprised the hybrids are staying on the lot there vs regular. I would venture that folks aren't test driving them both to compare, because I've said it before-- it's night and day difference. Or... folks see "hybrid" and they think it's supposed to get great gas mileage compared to the other, then when they read the stats and see a very small increase compared to price they probably rule it out.

What Subaru should do is campaign that the hybrid system in this vehicle is meant for increased power, not fuel savings. Anyway, in Wisconsin they seem to be selling quite well.

Fortunately, there were other options/upgrades I wanted which offset the "hybrid package" cost bottom line for me, so to say I paid $3k for the hybrid system isn't necessarily accurate.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,602 Posts
The hybrids are mostly sitting on the lots out here, too, pretty much the only XVs that are. If I were shopping for a car now, for me the issue with the hybrid would be the lack of a spare tire ... not having one is pretty risky for someone who drives in rural areas a lot, and if I carried my own spare it would eat up too much of the cargo space. If not for that, I'd give the hybrid an extremely serious look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What Subaru should do is campaign that the hybrid system in this vehicle is meant for increased power, not fuel savings.
I would agree with this. The saleswoman I purchased from mentioned specifically that. She was selling the car more on the quieter cabin and increase in power. (2 things that I wanted) I actually had one Subaru dealer salesman tell me I would get Prius like numbers for MPG, he told me I would average high 30's. I didn't return to that dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a helpful thread...can somebody please enlighten me and tell me the numbers on the power of regular crosstrek vs hybrid? I'm wondering if my Prius even matches the power in the regular
Crosstrek...probably not :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I appreciate your review Vanaroo. I'm considering a Crosstrek in 2015 (looking at both hybrid and non-hybrid), and was wondering about any difference in time or cost of their respective maintenance schedules?

P.S. I too was interested in the VW Golf Turbo Diesel, but I need higher ground clearance where I live.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Power: 148hp (regular) vs 160hp (hybrid)
Torque: 145lb-ft @4200 rpm (regular) vs [email protected] rpm (hybrid)

The regular Crosstrek has 1500 lb towing capability; the hybrid models are not recommended for towing (by subaru).

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Nice review. Even though the hybrid has added power (torque really) at usuable rpms and the interior seems to have been quieted a bit it would still be a hard decision not to get the gas XV for 3 reasons that are specific to my needs: 1. No spare .. I believe every car should have a spare in case of emergencies. 2. Towing capacity - for whatever reason the Hybrid is not rated for towing and 3. The wheels!! - to me the gas XV wheels fit the look of the car perfectly and really adds to the overall appearance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate your review Vanaroo. I'm considering a Crosstrek in 2015 (looking at both hybrid and non-hybrid), and was wondering about any difference in time or cost of their respective maintenance schedules?

P.S. I too was interested in the VW Golf Turbo Diesel, but I need higher ground clearance where I live.
I asked about the scheduled maintenance at the dealers I visited and was told the same thing at each place, the schedule is essentially identical to the gas version. The same salesperson that told me the car would get Prius mpg numbers also told me the hybrid battery needed to be "cleaned" once a year. In doing my homework I could not find that confirmed anywhere. I did not buy from that guy or that dealer, he was kind've a turd anyway.
I can't say enough how much I am enjoying my first Subaru. I am concerned about the spare tire and have seriously thought about rigging up something to carry one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again for all your info Vanaroo! I think getting a "donut" spare wouldn't be that big of a problem, but I don't have any knowledge of that :)

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
544 Posts
The Sport/Limited has 182hp (176 lb-ft torque at 4400rpm), but who's counting since he referenced a post from 7 years ago... huge difference? Not so much.

Sport/Limited 0-60 7.8s (16.0s 1/4 mile) (motor trend)
Did Motor Trend's figure-eight course in 27.9s (plug-in hybrid did it in 27.3s)

Plug-in Hybrid 0-60 8.3s (16.6s 1/4 mile) (car and driver)
- 452lbs heavier than the Sport (also near 50/50 weight distribution given the battery location)
-148hp combined, torque is 149 lb-ft from 0-1500rpm and 134 lb-ft at 4400rpm (subaru's website)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts