Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
Yes, it was the wind, but nothing to do with an anchor. Here's the full story.

Flew into a remote alpine lake with glacier melt water (ie ice cold). When we were ready to leave, I left my plane sitting on the sand bar (after positioning it for a quick go) for a few minutes to help push a friend off in his plane. Meanwhile the wind caught mine and took it off the sand bar. I had a pax inside but he was not a pilot, so no help there. I first tried to swim after it, but couldn't catch it. The wind was sweeping it along the shore toward a point, so I waded along the shoreline as fast as I could toward that point. There I swam out to catch it as it was going by. It took all my might and stamina, but I caught it, just barely. By that time, I was so tired, and cold, that I had trouble climbing up on the float out of the water. Again, it took all my remaining strength, but I made it and into my plane. I promptly got it started and kept it away from the rocky shoreline. If I wouldn't have caught it there, might have been a very bad ending, at least for my plane. After it was going, that's when I really noticed how cold I was. My feet were totally numb, and had trouble working the rudder pedals at first, as they felt like blocks of wood. And I was shaking like crazy, took me about 15 min to stop,.. as I was flying. At least it was a hot day out, and I was able to warm up pretty fast.

I often take vids with my plane (3 vid cams mounted outside), and here is the actual youtube of this trip.

Maybe you need a bigger float plane.

Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl

Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Rolled the kayak in shallow water, little tiny waves, dumb move and realized my keys weren't protected in my life vest, pocket full of salt water and keys. Dried it out out in the sun, it worked fine when we got back to car. Later I put the fob in a bowl full of raw rice as I heard that was good thing to do. The keys were fine. Not sure about the rice, but it was probably ok too.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts