Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I unintentionally machine washed and dried Shrek's key and it still works! As a precaution I've disassembled it in order for the key's guts to totally dry out. <BTW My Crosstrek's name is Shrek>

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,249 Posts
Tonight I unintentionally machine washed and dried Shrek's key and it still works! As a precaution I've disassembled it in order for the key's guts to totally dry out. <BTW My Crosstrek's name is Shrek>
Wow, that's good to know! I replaced batteries recently (one was marginal, so I replaced both). There's a certain amount of sealing in there but I'm surprised it will handle a full cycle, LOL!

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,144 Posts
I've washed out a keyboard in the sink and it worked fine once dried.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,051 Posts
I took a swim in the ocean with mine in my pocket (Legacy key at the time). Worked just fine afterwards.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good to know! I went canoeing yesterday with mine in my pocket. Thought about leaving it somewhere dry but didn't. Didn't have to test it as the paddle was uneventful but at least now I know I don't have to be concerned about it!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,249 Posts
I've washed out a keyboard in the sink and it worked fine once dried.
LOL, I've done that too, after knocking a glass of wine onto it. The issue with electronics is whether there's any current flowing at the time it gets wet. If it's a wireless keyboard, just pop out the batteries.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wonder if Subaru sealed the key chip? They know what kind of people buy their cars (Subaru is very in touch with its demographic). Outdoorsy types do tend to get dirty and wet from all the outdoorsy stuff.
OP. I would let it air dry and then spray it with contact cleaner for electronics. After that, maybe smear some clear caulking around the edges before reassembling.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,446 Posts
A couple years ago I had a little wet mishap with my floatplane and had to swim after it (long story). Was in the water with all my clothes, FOB, watch, phone, etc, for about 15 minutes. When I got back to my airport, biggest concern was if my FOB would still work and unlock my car. But it did, and continued working ever since. Everything else did, too, so I got away pretty lucky.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
200 Posts
A couple years ago I had a little wet mishap with my floatplane and had to swim after it (long story). Was in the water with all my clothes, FOB, watch, phone, etc, for about 15 minutes. When I got back to my airport, biggest concern was if my FOB would still work and unlock my car. But it did, and continued working ever since. Everything else did, too, so I got away pretty lucky.
The wind blew it away while the anchor wasn't deployed?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The wind blew it away while the anchor wasn't deployed?
Yes, it was the wind, but nothing to do with an anchor. Here's the full story.

Flew into a remote alpine lake with glacier melt water (ie ice cold). When we were ready to leave, I left my plane sitting on the sand bar (after positioning it for a quick go) for a few minutes to help push a friend off in his plane. Meanwhile the wind caught mine and took it off the sand bar. I had a pax inside but he was not a pilot, so no help there. I first tried to swim after it, but couldn't catch it. The wind was sweeping it along the shore toward a point, so I waded along the shoreline as fast as I could toward that point. There I swam out to catch it as it was going by. It took all my might and stamina, but I caught it, just barely. By that time, I was so tired, and cold, that I had trouble climbing up on the float out of the water. Again, it took all my remaining strength, but I made it and into my plane. I promptly got it started and kept it away from the rocky shoreline. If I wouldn't have caught it there, might have been a very bad ending, at least for my plane. After it was going, that's when I really noticed how cold I was. My feet were totally numb, and had trouble working the rudder pedals at first, as they felt like blocks of wood. And I was shaking like crazy, took me about 15 min to stop,.. as I was flying. At least it was a hot day out, and I was able to warm up pretty fast.

I often take vids with my plane (3 vid cams mounted outside), and here is the actual youtube of this trip.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonder if Subaru sealed the key chip? They know what kind of people buy their cars (Subaru is very in touch with its demographic). Outdoorsy types do tend to get dirty and wet from all the outdoorsy stuff.
OP. I would let it air dry and then spray it with contact cleaner for electronics. After that, maybe smear some clear caulking around the edges before reassembling.
It was in the pocket of the cargo shorts I wore for mowing the yard. About mid cycle of drying and hearing unusual noises from the tumbling dryer, I decided to investigate. It was still in the shorts pocket and was almost too hot to handle. So I completely disassembled it and laid all the parts out over night. It's construction is quite robust I'll have to say. I think that the extended heat probably cooked all the moisture out including the micro switches. But spraying them with the electronics cleaner would have been a good idea. I'm not gonna disassemble it again just for that. It works.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it was the wind, but nothing to do with an anchor. Here's the full story.

Flew into a remote alpine lake with glacier melt water (ie ice cold). When we were ready to leave, I left my plane sitting on the sand bar (after positioning it for a quick go) for a few minutes to help push a friend off in his plane. Meanwhile the wind caught mine and took it off the sand bar. I had a pax inside but he was not a pilot, so no help there. I first tried to swim after it, but couldn't catch it. The wind was sweeping it along the shore toward a point, so I waded along the shoreline as fast as I could toward that point. There I swam out to catch it as it was going by. It took all my might and stamina, but I caught it, just barely. By that time, I was so tired, and cold, that I had trouble climbing up on the float out of the water. Again, it took all my remaining strength, but I made it and into my plane. I promptly got it started and kept it away from the rocky shoreline. If I wouldn't have caught it there, might have been a very bad ending, at least for my plane. After it was going, that's when I really noticed how cold I was. My feet were totally numb, and had trouble working the rudder pedals at first, as they felt like blocks of wood. And I was shaking like crazy, took me about 15 min to stop,.. as I was flying. At least it was a hot day out, and I was able to warm up pretty fast.

I often take vids with my plane (3 vid cams mounted outside), and here is the actual youtube of this trip.
WOW! Impressive! Which one of the group are you? Go ahead and say it: "The good looking one...." :cool:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
WOW! Impressive! Which one of the group are you? Go ahead and say it: "The good looking one...." :cool:
Of course the good looking one...:D I am the one that was saying "Brrr, it's cold in here."

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
LOL, I've done that too, after knocking a glass of wine onto it. The issue with electronics is whether there's any current flowing at the time it gets wet. If it's a wireless keyboard, just pop out the batteries.

I spilled a full plate of spaghetti with red sauce on one.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,249 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
@
Do the wheels on your plane have a mechanical retraction?
Hydraulic, but with a manual pump.Cheaper and more reliable than with an electric pump. Takes about 20 pumps on the handle, up or down. Works great.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,249 Posts
Around here "red sauce" typically implies tomato based sauce..
Just kidding, although I am curious. "Gravy" seems to be a New Jersey Italian American / Sopranos thing... 😸

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just kidding, although I am curious. "Gravy" seems to be a New Jersey Italian American / Sopranos thing... 😸

That ain't the slang here. But my roots are old American northern New England. Gravy is a meat based liquid thickened with flour. Various shades of brown. Red sauce or tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce are about the same thing, just differing in style.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts