Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. I was keen on the forums for my first six months, and now I'm back and I have two questions. First, was the Crosstrek 2018 included in the CVT warranty extension or not? If not, what gives?

Second, is the advice in this video sound?
Great video! Never knew that the choice of chain was for size efficiency rather than strength.

If you're looking to learn more about your CVT this is another video I think people would benefit from seeing. This guy has some of the best Subaru content.

I was always under the impression that I should be looking to be changing the CVT fluid, but in the video listed, he basically says, don't worry about it until after the warranty is up, and additionally says that if anyone breaks that seal on the CVT, that the warranty is void.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,109 Posts
Lots of posts about this here in other threads. Do a little searching. CVTs now have a 100K warranty. Also, the US warranty manual doesn't say to change the fluid and the intervals go over 120K miles or so...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
711 Posts
Second, is the advice in this video sound?
I can't imagine the CVT warranty being void if a Subaru dealer performs the CVT fluid change. Interestingly, Subaru Canada REQUIRES that the CVT fluid be changed at 100,000 kilometers (62,137) to maintain the extended warranty. What is good for the goose is good for the gander so I plan on changing my CVT fluid, at a Subaru dealer, at 60k miles.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,109 Posts
I can't imagine the CVT warranty being void if a Subaru dealer performs the CVT fluid change. Interestingly, Subaru Canada REQUIRES that the CVT fluid be changed at 100,000 kilometers (62,137) to maintain the extended warranty. What is good for the goose is good for the gander so I plan on changing my CVT fluid, at a Subaru dealer, at 60k miles.
Just curious why you would do that, as you're not in Canada? Whether your CVT goes out at 110K miles or lasts 200K you'll never know if the fluid change at 60K would or would not have been the best thing to do.

As with the difference in engine oil recommendations between North America and Europe, I really wish we could get to the bottom of this to make more informed decisions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great video! Never knew that the choice of chain was for size efficiency rather than strength.

If you're looking to learn more about your CVT this is another video I think people would benefit from seeing. This guy has some of the best Subaru content.

I couldn't help but notice the absolutely disgusting air register behind him

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
711 Posts
Just curious why you would do that, as you're not in Canada? Whether your CVT goes out at 110K miles or lasts 200K you'll never know if the fluid change at 60K would or would not have been the best thing to do.

As with the difference in engine oil recommendations between North America and Europe, I really wish we could get to the bottom of this to make more informed decisions.
I just don't believe in lifetime fluids. If there was a risk of harming the CVT by a fluid change, SOA would not recommend a fluid change at 24,855 miles (40,000 km) in the US for CVT's that tow. So it seems reasonable and prudent to me to replace the fluid at about 60k miles if you don't tow. Subaru Canada's requirement (100,000km) only reinforces my belief. Also, I recently discussed this issue with my local Subaru dealer's service department and they recommend a CVT fluid change at 60-75k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts