Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than get into the discussion that's already going on, I thought I'd post what I know about XMODE after 2 years of having the car. My info is first hand, I didn't have to read about it be able to share with you all.

I've found that when climbing steeper inclines that XMODE abandons you and the car cuts power.
This is from my first try with it. I tried to "crawl" up the hill and cut to the left through really loose stuff. You'll note I had to back up ever so much to get the car to go again.
climbing loose gravel

XMODE is king when climbing snowy hills. Keep in mind I put on BFG Mud Terrains when I play off pavement. Forgive the amateur filming.
snowy hill climb

As far as down hill. . . Many of you know that XMODE works at 12 mph and under. Indeed. But I've found that if you apply brakes, you can slow the speed of the car to whatever you like and it will hold that speed for you. (again, sorry about the rookie filming)
snowy down hill

I hope these little vids help folks understand XMODE a little better.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,296 Posts
Have you tried turning off TCS when power is reduced? I have experienced the lowering of power to reduce slippage, but so far have not been in a severe enough situation to turn off TCS. But have heard that worksj to maintain momentum.

Where I did have to use X-mode (teetering on 2 and 3 wheels climbing out of wash-outs), I did better than the lifted big tire trucks that had to use momentum and lots of spinning to get through. When I did my Mt Cheam ride, had to follow a column of trucks and could have gone much faster than them, if they would have let me pass them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 things...
I cringed at the 17 second mark in the first vid as you went over the large rock at the rt front area then again but less so at 21 seconds. both looked like they had the potential to ruin your day.
I didnt see an issue when you climbed out. Pretty steep, loose incline and you got into a couple small ruts and lost momentum and traction. Xmode isnt the same as low gearing in a 4x4 and shouldnt be expected to work the same. And you cant always beat physics.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, the front lip has taken some abuse alright. That was a year ago. lol

In order to get up the hill in the second pic, I had to shut everything off and get a couple of runs at it. It's much steeper than it looks. I wish I woulda had my wife film the decent with the XMODE on though.
IMG_9827.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,296 Posts
Yup, biggest problem I had off-road is approach angle with hitting the front bumper. Had to go through wash-outs at a side angle.

Wish there was a bumper/mod replacement that raised the from bumper a few inches with a back sloping skid plate extension. I don't like some of the current bumper cut-offs/replacements. I want to retain the good looks of my Crosstrek.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts