Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
That said, I'd trade it all for a restomod of the AMC Eagle. Why? Hell, I dunno... I love older cars and love restomods more than new cars.
I'd like the best of both. A new, reliable, practical car like the Crosstrek and a fun car like an E-Type or early Lotus... 😸

Reactions: Montana Actual

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
98 Posts
I'd like the best of both. A new, reliable, practical car like the Crosstrek and a fun car like an E-Type or early Lotus... 😸
Agreed...but I want my first and second cars back.... 1962 MGA and a 1967 Healey BJ8, but only a nostalgic fantasy... I live in the woods, on an island and no garage or covered parking.
The Crosstrek will do me fine.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
Agreed...but I want my first and second cars back.... 1962 MGA and a 1967 Healey BJ8, but only a nostalgic fantasy... I live in the woods, on an island and no garage or covered parking.
The Crosstrek will do me fine.
LOL, I'm 6'2" and managed to squeeze myself into a Lotus Esprit a while ago. If I could do that now I doubt I'd be able to get out!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yep, we were specifically looking for a car with safety features and updated tech (e.g. AndroidAuto and CarPlay). Not AS/S though... 😸
To be honest, I really miss driving a manual but the safety features and the appearance and comfort of the XV were much more appealing than what was available in our price range. They say there's still around 300 new vehicles available with manual transmissions in Australia. Most of these are 4x4 trucks or luxury cars :(

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Metallic Grey
24 Posts
So I had my own close call with AS/S on Saturday. Went to the Post Office, and forgot to turn it off when I left. Was going to jump out in between breaks in traffic but AS/S had shut off the engine, and that hesitation caused me to have to abort - and the driver behind me almost piled into my tail.

Starting to reconsider spending the $100 for the AS/S defeat device now, as it's not the first time I've forgotten to turn it off, in my usual "startup sequence" and the first time it caused danger. :(

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Was going to jump out in between breaks in traffic but ...
Whoa, whoa, I need some details here. You were going to jump out of a car at a traffic light, leaving the engine running, sprint to the PO, then sprint back and hop back into the car when the light turned green?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whoa, whoa, I need some details here. You were going to jump out of a car at a traffic light, leaving the engine running, sprint to the PO, then sprint back and hop back into the car when the light turned green?
LOL no no. Sorry, fighting pain from a broken tooth right now, brain is not fully online. Was waiting to pull out of the post office after dropping off mail, wanted to jump into the traffic since there was a break in it - and AS/S pushed the "nope" button on me. Not a fan of this crap, so I guess I will investigate ordering and installing a defeater module

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
I think he meant pull out into traffic. He'd already left the post office...

Reactions: Kman

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
LOL no no. Sorry, fighting pain from a broken tooth right now, brain is not fully online. Was waiting to pull out of the post office after dropping off mail, wanted to jump into the traffic since there was a break in it - and AS/S pushed the "nope" button on me. Not a fan of this crap, so I guess I will investigate ordering and installing a defeater module
Oh man, yeah, that is so annoying. People complained about the shuddering on restart and at first I didn't notice these things but as I experienced it more the delay and the shudder on start got more annoying. We took a trip this weekend and I shut it of when I drove. I felt a little guilty, but it felt good. My wife drove on the way back, and she kept the AS/S activated and I got all OCD, and the delay and shudder all got maginified in my mind.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
79 Posts
IMHO, some need to reevaluate their driving habits... I know I did.

I went from a modified STi to a 2014 FXT. After years in cars that had 0-60s in the 3s and 4s I wasn't prepared for the FXT's CVT's lack of initial acceleration. Thinking I had plenty of room, I hit the throttle to turn left and would have been broadsided had the oncoming driver not hit his brakes in time, while I sat helplessly looking on.

From then on I factored in the realities of my FXT and never took windows in traffic that were not more-than ample, and have never had a close call again... despite having nothing but CVT transmissions in every car since the first one in the '14 FXT, including two WRXs and another FXT. At first I missed the instant power and acceleration of my previous cars, and felt compromised and slow. Then the reality dawned on me that although I had never had an accident, the difference was sometimes microseconds... a fact my wife never failed to remind me about.

It took driving my '19 Impreza for a couple of years for the lessons to fully sink in... how much and how often I gambled, and how little difference it actually made. Except for my ego. The Imp taught me patience... something seemingly missing in my life in general and especially in my driving. Now I don't miss the reckless behavior at all.

Some call it growing up. I must be a little later developing than I thought since I traded my STi for the FXT when I was 74. Better late than never. :)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
IMHO, some need to reevaluate their driving habits... I know I did.

I went from a modified STi to a 2014 FXT. After years in cars that had 0-60s in the 3s and 4s I wasn't prepared for the FXT's CVT's lack of initial acceleration. Thinking I had plenty of room, I hit the throttle to turn left and would have been broadsided had the oncoming driver not hit his brakes in time, while I sat helplessly looking on.

From then on I factored in the realities of my FXT and never took windows in traffic that were not more-than ample, and have never had a close call again... despite having nothing but CVT transmissions in every car since the first one in the '14 FXT, including two WRXs and another FXT. At first I missed the instant power and acceleration of my previous cars, and felt compromised and slow. Then the reality dawned on me that although I had never had an accident, the difference was sometimes microseconds... a fact my wife never failed to remind me about.

It took driving my '19 Impreza for a couple of years for the lessons to fully sink in... how much and how often I gambled, and how little difference it actually made. Except for my ego. The Imp taught me patience... something seemingly missing in my life in general and especially in my driving. Now I don't miss the reckless behavior at all.

Some call it growing up. I must be a little later developing than I thought since I traded my STi for the FXT when I was 74. Better late than never. :)
Same here. I was a pretty reckless driver in my youth and was able to afford some pretty powerful cars. Never a good combination. I wrecked a Capri 2.8i on a bridge in Devon and came within a few feet of going over the edge into the ravine. The county sent me a bill for new guard rails, LOL. Calmed down a bit after that and haven't had an at fault accident since.

Reactions: Kman and Fate

·
Registered
305 Posts
I understand the OPs situation. AS/S in shutting down the car does put you at risk especially if your reaction time beats the startup time. I’ll never own a car with it and if I was at the dealers and that’s all they had I’d want a price drop to cover the cost for the device to shut it of. The loaner I had, a Forester, had a very sluggish AS/S to the point I pulled over, called the dealer and complained. AS/S along with removing the actual Emergency Brake are the most insane things ever done to automobiles.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
Just called the dealer and they're only using 2.0L cars for loaners. I guess I can still experience the AS/S...

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Just called the dealer and they're only using 2.0L cars for loaners. I guess I can still experience the AS/S...
It will be summer soon in most parts of the US and we can turn on the A/C which will deactivate the AS/S I belive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It will be summer soon in most parts of the US and we can turn on the A/C which will deactivate the AS/S I belive.
I had A/C active when this happened. Or at least the led for a/c was lit up

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
995 Posts
Not always, but if there's a big difference in temp between intake air and the requested temps then it won't turn off the engine.

Here in PHX in the spring like today, it'll engage in the morning but not the afternoon. In the hottest part of summer I go days or weeks without it engaging. Of course I can't imagine not running AC, but I hear that folks in other states don't always use it.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
Of course I can't imagine not running AC, but I hear that folks in other states don't always use it.
The LA basin gets very hot in the summer. Woodland Hills recorded an all time high of 121F last year - a record for the region and on a par with Palm Springs and the desert communities.

Here in Santa Monica we're next to the ocean and it's more moderate. Warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. We don't have to blast cold air to cool the cabin, or warm it up.

I'm looking forward to trying a '20 or '21 with A/SS. Any tips?

101 - 120 of 127 Posts