Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
Yeah, I read about this part:

"Unfortunately, Subaru is at the San Andreas Fault end of the spectrum. It's among the worst in damping that engine vibration on restart. Why is that? We can't say for sure. It may have to do with the unique "boxer" engine that Subaru uses in which the pistons are horizontally opposed, creating greater side to side movement and more vibration. "

Did you see my poll?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I’m adamantly opposed to any gimmick that takes control of a motor vehicle away from the driver. Most law enforcement agencies will tell you, you must be in control of your vehicle at all times. When the AS/S shuts down your car, you lose steering and the ability to make a split second decision which in an emergency may be all it takes. I’ve driven BMW’s version and Subarus. Granted the BMW version was alot smoother I still found a solution through programming. Now some out there love all the gimmicks which tells me maybe youdont like to drive and want a toy. Well I love to drive and need a car that can respond in a split second and a car with AS/S is actually somewhat crippled. Subaru needs to give owners a way to permanently shut of AS/S even if it means a recall. I wont even get into the defunct emergency brake which is absolute insanity for any real driver. One last point for all out there loving self driving cars…Its obvious you dont want to drive, don't enjoy driving, or whatever…please consider the train, a cab or Uber. Some of us love to drive and getting you out of our way would be a blessing. :p

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
My only experience with it was an Audi A4 in the UK and it was horrible.

Reactions: EddieZ2

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, I read about this part:

"Unfortunately, Subaru is at the San Andreas Fault end of the spectrum. It's among the worst in damping that engine vibration on restart. Why is that? We can't say for sure. It may have to do with the unique "boxer" engine that Subaru uses in which the pistons are horizontally opposed, creating greater side to side movement and more vibration. "

Did you see my poll?
Wheres that poll hiding ?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
Vote early and vote often! 😸

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,504 Posts
An interesting observation: in the last two months I have brought three friends into my local dealership to buy Crosstreks. During each test drive I noticed the salesperson turning OFF the AS/S before starting up the car for the tester to drive. I think that says a lot about how the salespeople feel about it.

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
During each test drive I noticed the salesperson turning OFF the AS/S before starting up the car for the tester to drive.
Nitpick - it will disable only if they turn it off after starting, since it resets when you start. Also, if the car is still cold, it won't kick in.

When we went for a test drive, our person did not switch it off, since we started the car ourselves. When we test drove we were not worried by it because we've had experience with this feature in every rental car we've had and froms itting in our relatives cars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
An interesting observation: in the last two months I have brought three friends into my local dealership to buy Crosstreks. During each test drive I noticed the salesperson turning OFF the AS/S before starting up the car for the tester to drive. I think that says a lot about how the salespeople feel about it.
Right here…nailed it. On the loaner Subaru gave me, it was initially turned off. After speaking with a couple people at the dealer, they didn’t like it. If I’m going to be forced to buy it in a car, there needs to be a way to shut it off, permanently.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
Wow, that's bordering on fraud! Certainly misleading/false advertising...

I didn't know what A$$ was when I rented an Audi in the UK. The first time it "stalled" I thought there was something wrong with the car. I wonder how many potential customers going for test drives know what it is, how it works and why?

Reactions: Montana Actual

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,504 Posts
In two of the cases I mentioned AS/S and the salesperson said something like, Oh yeah you can easily turn it off.

Reactions: Montana Actual

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's the fault of the trailing driver for following too closely.
Wrong. It's such a new feature that it would USUALLY be the fault of the trailing driver, but such a hard braking and lack of room to get over (again, tons of scenarios here) could easily cause someone who was at a "safe" distance to rear end the auto braking vehicle. First thing that should be asked is, "Why did you slam on the brakes, you could have just let off the gas and slowed naturally"... and when responded with "my car did it for me" then it becomes the fault of the car. I agree though, because most insurance policies will see it that way, but when a dashcam comes into play with that statement, the blame can easily shift.

Also, I am one of the ones who was told "yea, you can just switch it off". I never restarted, they never said anything about it coming back on by itself. My assumption was these features were like they are in literally every other vehicle I have ever driven.

Man, I love my SUBIE, but they are trailing with some stuff. I also just read that older models with auto start would shut off when you open the door? lol... wtf? Oh man...

Subaru hates starters... or, loves your money for replacing/repairing them. INB4 the ones with 200k come in and say "bUt i NeVeR hAd A pRobLeM"... I'd like to believe they are durable, and even older starters I have pushed beyond 200k, but I highly doubt they are THAT MUCH more durable or even made specifically to last beyond anything outside of a normal short period warranty. That's how auto engineering works. It's too costly to build a vehicle that will last someone 30 years, or offer to fix it for them. Everything in this world is "limited". That said, I hope they do last that long. Right up until everyone is forced to turn their petrol vehicles into electric and you won't need em anymore :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
98 Posts
Wrong. It's such a new feature that it would USUALLY be the fault of the trailing driver, but such a hard braking and lack of room to get over (again, tons of scenarios here) could easily cause someone who was at a "safe" distance to rear end the auto braking vehicle. First thing that should be asked is, "Why did you slam on the brakes, you could have just let off the gas and slowed naturally"... and when responded with "my car did it for me" then it becomes the fault of the car. I agree though, because most insurance policies will see it that way, but when a dashcam comes into play with that statement, the blame can easily shift.

Also, I am one of the ones who was told "yea, you can just switch it off". I never restarted, they never said anything about it coming back on by itself. My assumption was these features were like they are in literally every other vehicle I have ever driven.

Man, I love my SUBIE, but they are trailing with some stuff. I also just read that older models with auto start would shut off when you open the door? lol... wtf? Oh man...

Subaru hates starters... or, loves your money for replacing/repairing them. INB4 the ones with 200k come in and say "bUt i NeVeR hAd A pRobLeM"... I'd like to believe they are durable, and even older starters I have pushed beyond 200k, but I highly doubt they are THAT MUCH more durable or even made specifically to last beyond anything outside of a normal short period warranty. That's how auto engineering works. It's too costly to build a vehicle that will last someone 30 years, or offer to fix it for them. Everything in this world is "limited". That said, I hope they do last that long. Right up until everyone is forced to turn their petrol vehicles into electric and you won't need em anymore :ROFLMAO:
Or until friends and family finally hold me down and take away my keys for good.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,358 Posts
I literally waited for the 2020 instead of the 2019 because I wanted the AS/S.
If AS/S was an option, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
995 Posts
If AS/S was an option, how much would you be willing to pay for it?
Good question. I'm not positive, but I'd imagine it would be part of a package if it was optional. That means that I'd also weight the value of the other options in the package if I even wanted them.

I think that by waiting for the 2020 I paid a little less than $500 extra for my premium vs what the 2019 would have been. So I'd say somewhere around $500 on the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
167 Posts
AMC Eagle, production August 1979 – December 1987, only four-wheel-drive passenger car produced in the U.S. at the time. The father of the crossover SUV.

View attachment 305506
Beautiful. I should have been more specific and knew someone would call me out... but plenty of makers have been doing it for years. I just respect the direction that Subaru is taking above most of them. That said, I'd trade it all for a restomod of the AMC Eagle. Why? Hell, I dunno... I love older cars and love restomods more than new cars.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts