Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to a stop at a light where I needed to turn. The green arrow came on and I took my foot of the brake and tried to yank the wheel left and for a split second it felt like the wheel was locked! Then things became normal again.

I was puzzled for quite a while before I decided that what had happened was that the engine had stopped at the light and I had yanked the wheel before the power steering had come online again.

Has anyone else experienced this before.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base 6MT PYP
23 Posts
Yet another reason I am so happy with my 6MT. I'm sure I'm missing out on x mode, But the auto stop would drive me insane. I'm sure it's also not great on starter motors, unless there's been a huge breakthrough in starter motor technology. But I'm sure nothing has changed unless auto manufacturers have started using brushless starter motors.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this before.
Yes. I'm thinking the steering lock on AS/S is a further safety feature so if you're rear ended when stopped at an intersection you can only be pushed slightly forward rather than into the path of oncoming traffic. I tend to keep my hands on the wheel at all times and I've felt the steering correct/lock when the AS/S turns off.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Was it like the 9:13 mark of this video? Just curious...
Yes yet more subtle for me because I usually keep the wheel pointed straight ahead at intersection anyway (part of my driving instructor's safety tips indoctrination along with keep your hands on the wheel) and has remained with me for life.
How about for you @Kman ?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
LOL - yeah. First time it happened I was like "Aaww ****! What now?"
I rather like all the digital displays now especially when I engage the Adaptive Cruise Control. The displays tell you when the car is using true braking over engine breaking, hasn't yet detected the lead vehicle when I've already decided it's time to brake, etc. It was daunting having so much tech at first but now it's great.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
LOL - yeah. First time it happened I was like "Aaww ****! What now?"
I rather like all the digital displays now especially when I engage the Adaptive Cruise Control. The displays tell you when the car is using true braking over engine breaking, hasn't yet detected the lead vehicle when I've already decided it's time to brake, etc. It was daunting having so much tech at first but now it's great.
Both of our cars were over ten years old when we got the Crosstrek. It replaced a 14yo Lexus, which was so high tech it had a cassette player! 😸

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
90 Posts
I forgot to hit the button after a quick stop one time. I back out of my spot pulled maybe 2-3 feet forward and had to stop again, someone walking. When they were clear I went to go and felt that “oh my car shut itself off, because it jusy does that now”.
A few times I decided to try and actually use the “feature” and it never works 🙄. I was driving and saw a train coming ahead, perfect I will have to stop and wait a while, may as well save some gas. I hit the button to turn As/S back on and proceed to the crossing and stop, no engine shut off, wheels straight and nothing else weird that I could tell but the engine ran. A few trips through a drivethru, same thing it didn’t work 🙄. However if I forgot the button and stop at a stop sign leaving my neighborhood it shuts right off in a split second ha.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
The first time I encountered it was a rental Audi in the UK a couple of years ago. Forget about trying to merge into a roundabout... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes. I'm thinking the steering lock on AS/S is a further safety feature so if you're rear ended when stopped at an intersection you can only be pushed slightly forward rather than into the path of oncoming traffic.
I don't believe that the steering actually locks, like when the key is pulled out of the ignition. That would be extreme badness.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
98 Posts
I'm quite sure that there's no 'steering lock' associated with AS/S, it's just the loss of power steering....and a reminder of why great grandad's jalopy, even with it's ridiculously narrow tyres, had a steering wheel ~2ft diameter.
Who you calling GREAT Grandpa !!!!! ;)
I was out of College before I had a car with power steering. 3 on the tree and a dimmer switch on the floor were the norm. Biggest debate was "hand over hand" or "wheel shuffle".

1 - 20 of 127 Posts