Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
I used 9011 HIR bulbs in my 2009 Crosstrek. They were German Phillips from Candlepower. They had to be modified to fit the 9005 position. I've been told that they are no longer available.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
Yea, those are the ones I'll stick with. Had them before on every other vehicle I've owned. Until I get projector style headlights like the limited models come with, I'll stick to the normal lights. These setups are not meant for LED's. Drivers need to tone it down a notch and consider others on the road.
On the NASIOC forum, they used H9 65watt bulbs in the lows, and Phillips 9011 HIRs in the highs. They are both halogen and have their filaments in the same place. They both put more light on the road. They have good longevity and have no problems with the DRLs. The 9011 have to be modified. Check with Candlepowers web site for the mod.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
Good luck, I haven't found anything to fix this problem. I actually pulled my high beam LED's and am just using the old halogens. Still using the low beam LED's
You could try the 9011 HIR bulbs from posts #17 & #18 for the highs.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
I have been driving with the headlights all the time, but I do enjoy the look of the DRL's during the day. Give's it an aggressive look. I'd really love some halogens like the limited models have, and that's what I will definitely go with on my next vehicle. Not paying to have customs made for this one.

But, I also drove early morning for the first time since installing and I gotta say, THEY ARE TERRIBLE! Wow. What a waste. I thought they looked pretty blue for "6500k" they are more like 8000k and the light is just awful. There is so much spread and unevenness it's basically brights on low beams. I had trouble seeing 2 deer in front of me and it was a very close call, and the deer were already out in the road, something I would have been able to see normally.

So this is a hard pass for this setup. I tried though. I'll be going with some regular decent bulbs from Sylvania or some similar brand like crazyhawk shared. Not the "standard" yellow, but as far away from blue as possible too. What a way to say "I'm an idiot with blue lights and I don't care about your vision" to oncoming traffic. Sorry, not me. I already aimed them down to compensate for the lift but these LED's are just junk. I'll post some pics of my "normal" upgrades when I get them. I will be going with the Diode fog lights though. They look great.
Montana Actual did not get good results with the Sealight H11 LEDs. He did not post pictures.
I’m sure the members would like to see H11 LEDs with good results. Perhaps Diode Dynamics or Lasfit,

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
Hopefully Cutlass will respond. All of these LED companies say “ for off-road use only” for the low and high beams.
I used a DeAutokey HID kit in MY16. I used the 9011 HIRs in the highs. I contacted Nick at DD and received free freight. I used DD’s H11 SL1s 5000K in the fogs, and they widened the light.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
You could just do the low beams with DD for $150. You could get the Lasfit H11 for $40. If you don't like the Lasfit you could return them to Amazon. You could leave the high beam 9005 or replace the with German Phillips 9011s HIR from Amazon. On my 2016 Crosstrek, I used the 9011 with good results.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
The reason all the LED's flicker is because Subaru uses a PWM, pulse wave modulation, for the daytime running lights. Halogens react to this by appearing dimmer, but LED's will see full voltage pulsing on and off very fast. Nothing you can really do to change that.
I went down this rabbit hole trying to have off road lights automatically turn on, via a relay, with the high beams and not the DRL's. I was able to mostly achieve that by using a second relay tied into the parking lights circuit.
I wonder if a pi filter ( 2 capacitors and an inductor) would smooth out the 6 volts. That would be for the EEs to ponder.

Reactions: ogstuffedhotdog

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,431 Posts
Oh, there is no doubt that you can create am electronics circuit to filter it out. It was just too much of a pain for me to worry about. I did try using a relay thats latching voltage was less than 6v, but it still picked up the PWM signal.
What I wanted was to be able to have my A-pillar mounted offroad lights turn on and off with the highbeams. I hated fumbling in my forester to turn them off seperately when I came upon another driver. So I just made a simple logic circuit; If the parking lights are on (relay one), then the highbeams signal can then pass through to relay two, which is controlled by the highbeam signal, to turn on/off the offroad lights.
The only issue would be if you wanted to have just the parking lights on, but no headlights, then the DRL signal still gets to the offroad lights and they'll flicker. Not really an issue since I have a OEM switch that acts as a bypass, it has to be on to even allow the offroad lights to work. So it never happens in reality. Obviously the offroad lights are LED's.
I was not considering off-road lights. If there's a fuse for the high beams, either in the engine compartment or interior fuse box, use a fuse tap and relay to turn on the off-road lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts