Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Crosstrek "premium" (not limited, not sport, not base). Standard headlights. Anyone have any options for LED's that don't flicker when using the DRL's? I tried adding a resistor, but it didn't work. I went with these:

noticed the flickering, so I added this:

Still flickers, just less and it WAY too bright for DRL's. Not sure what is going on here.

Anyone have some plug and play advice that is confirmed to work with DRL's, that would be helpful. Even more helpful if it's an amazon link ;) But only if you know for sure they work.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 6spd
31 Posts
Good luck, I haven't found anything to fix this problem. I actually pulled my high beam LED's and am just using the old halogens. Still using the low beam LED's

·
Registered
607 Posts
noticed the flickering, so I added this:

Still flickers, just less and it WAY too bright for DRL's. Not sure what is going on here.
The link description says does not work with DRLs.

The reason the LED bulbs don't work is because the DRLs are the high beams powered by a lower voltage. A relay sends the high beam power through a resistor when they are on. The halogens just burn dimmer at the lower voltage. Your LEDs are probably flickering because there is not enough voltage to keep them lit. No harness, especially one with another resistor, is going to fix that.

They do sell LEDs that work at both voltages but they will be bright all the time, high beam and in daytime running mode. Here is one example:

Able to function for both daytime running light mode and high beam mode (high beam mode output will be the same as the DRL mode).

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
399 Posts
There is no real fix I researched endlessly for hours. Even found one guy that used the Motowhatever 2.0 that are supposed to work as a DRL & claimed no go. the reason they flicker is because Subi either runs the halogens at half voltage and/or alternates the current (AC LEDs are DC) through the BCM. I‘ve read both so I’m not sure which or a combo of both? can’t run a non dimmable LED at a lower or higher voltage it’s either on or off.

LEDs actually “strobe“ like a MoFo all the time to achieve the correct level of “dimness“ this is called PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) it‘s at a rate that is faster than the human I can process & the reason why if you watch certain vehicles on video the LEDs seem to flicker on/off cause the FPS (frame rate) is fast enough to catch both the on & off cycles of the LED (timing) good example of this is if you see the LED display of a gas pump from back up camera on the screen of your Trek it appears to be flickering.

as of now your options are

1. relocate DRL to another bulb location (ie. fog, turn, aftermarket C light, etc) good luck
2. be the first to figure out how to bypass/delete DRL (I’m sure it’s been done nobody wants to share)
if you pull the ebrake while it’s in gear the DRLs shut off might be a good place to start?
3. drive with headlights on
4. R/R LED highs with halogens

I’m old, lazy, & flat out don’t care anymore so I opted for #3 since they come on go off with the ignition anyway…

if you figure something better out let the rest of us know will ya

there’s several threads on here already with more info if you care but most of them end up going like this one. 🙄

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,797 Posts
I used 9011 HIR bulbs in my 2009 Crosstrek. They were German Phillips from Candlepower. They had to be modified to fit the 9005 position. I've been told that they are no longer available.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been driving with the headlights all the time, but I do enjoy the look of the DRL's during the day. Give's it an aggressive look. I'd really love some halogens like the limited models have, and that's what I will definitely go with on my next vehicle. Not paying to have customs made for this one.

But, I also drove early morning for the first time since installing and I gotta say, THEY ARE TERRIBLE! Wow. What a waste. I thought they looked pretty blue for "6500k" they are more like 8000k and the light is just awful. There is so much spread and unevenness it's basically brights on low beams. I had trouble seeing 2 deer in front of me and it was a very close call, and the deer were already out in the road, something I would have been able to see normally.

So this is a hard pass for this setup. I tried though. I'll be going with some regular decent bulbs from Sylvania or some similar brand like crazyhawk shared. Not the "standard" yellow, but as far away from blue as possible too. What a way to say "I'm an idiot with blue lights and I don't care about your vision" to oncoming traffic. Sorry, not me. I already aimed them down to compensate for the lift but these LED's are just junk. I'll post some pics of my "normal" upgrades when I get them. I will be going with the Diode fog lights though. They look great.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,629 Posts
2. be the first to figure out how to bypass/delete DRL (I’m sure it’s been done nobody wants to share)
if you pull the ebrake while it’s in gear the DRLs shut off might be a good place to start?

The first gen Crosstrek, there is a wiring harness plug forward of the right front tire. It you pull that, then no more DRLs. If you then want different DRLs, you have to work that out yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your dealer can disable Daytime Running Lamps. I asked mine to and they did free of charge.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
"What a way to say "I'm an idiot with blue lights and I don't care about your vision" to oncoming traffic. Sorry, not me"

I like the DRL's. I just returned the LED bulbs and I'll get some slightly brighter normal bulbs.

i hate "that guy". i said in a post a few months ago that "that guy" should be tased and jailed. pet peeve of mine along with dark front window tint :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, those are the ones I'll stick with. Had them before on every other vehicle I've owned. Until I get projector style headlights like the limited models come with, I'll stick to the normal lights. These setups are not meant for LED's. Drivers need to tone it down a notch and consider others on the road.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,797 Posts
Yea, those are the ones I'll stick with. Had them before on every other vehicle I've owned. Until I get projector style headlights like the limited models come with, I'll stick to the normal lights. These setups are not meant for LED's. Drivers need to tone it down a notch and consider others on the road.
On the NASIOC forum, they used H9 65watt bulbs in the lows, and Phillips 9011 HIRs in the highs. They are both halogen and have their filaments in the same place. They both put more light on the road. They have good longevity and have no problems with the DRLs. The 9011 have to be modified. Check with Candlepowers web site for the mod.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,797 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts