Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think it's the switch in glass to accommodate EyeSight that makes this a pain financially.
Had my first windshield replacement 2 months after buying my 2018 Limited.
It's a pain. Ugh.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, I was really pissed when I started this thread, but I have cooled down a bit. I have a new windshield coming in tomorrow, and found a tint place in town that can put Clearplex on it, so that is the route I am going to go.

I'd rather have a new Clearplex film put on every 12-18 months than get a new windscreen every year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Subaru seems to be prone to it though...
Some of it is angle. If it was tilted and more aerodynamic it would be less of a problem.
This is one reason why, here in AZ, I don't buy cars with razzmatazz in the widshield. Too expensive to replace. Low deductibles don't help; you just pay for it with higher premiums. Insurers aren't stupid and there is no free lunch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 got a chip crack from stone kicked up from a dump truck on a exit ramp. i looked down at the milege 642 miles. Fixed $100 deductable Safelight in NJ. It took 2 months to get glass from Japan. No more nicks and turned in at 35,000 miles last sept for a 2021 with bigger engine same color cool khaki grey and loaded it up with leather and top stereo. The Sound system is great. I think the 2018 was a little better handling and braking. but may be a difference in tires. I think glass is thicker on 2021 as there is less highway noise

·
Registered
42 Posts
Safelight quotes $1,139 for the windshield and a calibration, so yeah, I would also recommend you lower the deductible. Honestly, I went from $500 to $250 and the difference over a 6 month policy was minimal. Ask your company or agent to show you the difference between the different deductibles.
That is not bad compared to what was quoted in Southern California. You should go to NHTSA website and lodge a complaint. Enough of the complaints with lead to investigations and could pressure the manufacturer to issue a recall.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,373 Posts
Cracking windshields have been on the increase since the introduction of acoustic glass.

Reactions: XVerse

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love this car, but.....IF I have to get a new windshield every 4,000 miles, it will be on the used car lot pretty quickly.

This is ridiculous that the windshield cracks if a fly hits it. Driving home today, heard a light hit on the windshield....BAM....10 inch crack. Replaced the first one at 3400 miles. :mad:

I will be writing to SOA and complaining about it. I am also NOT going to go OEM this time around since I am now pretty much convinced that ANYTHING would be better than the Subaru OEM glass.

It's almost like you can flick your finger on the glass and it will crack. 35+ years of driving and I have NEVER seen a windshield so prone to cracking, chipping, etc.

Rant OVER.
Silly ranting at Subaru and making out its model specific. Subaru arent in the windscreen business and by their windscreens from the same vast manufacturers as other makers. Breaking windscreens or not has more to do with the owner and their driving environment. A few years ago I broke two in 6 months on my Toyota truck, once because of my own stupidity and once collecting debris from a logging truck going the other way. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on instead of looking for someone to blame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love this car, but.....IF I have to get a new windshield every 4,000 miles, it will be on the used car lot pretty quickly.

This is ridiculous that the windshield cracks if a fly hits it. Driving home today, heard a light hit on the windshield....BAM....10 inch crack. Replaced the first one at 3400 miles. :mad:

I will be writing to SOA and complaining about it. I am also NOT going to go OEM this time around since I am now pretty much convinced that ANYTHING would be better than the Subaru OEM glass.

It's almost like you can flick your finger on the glass and it will crack. 35+ years of driving and I have NEVER seen a windshield so prone to cracking, chipping, etc.

Rant OVER.
All I know is that we hardly drive any miles at all, mostly at low speed, so much so that folks on this forum did not believe the mileage on our 2018 OB. But, within the first couple of months of ownership we got a gall in the windshield. In days of yore, when we drove literally a couple hundred thousand miles, we only got 1 gall in the windshield, although most of that was freeway driving, in various parts of the country.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Silly ranting at Subaru and making out its model specific. Subaru arent in the windscreen business and by their windscreens from the same vast manufacturers as other makers. Breaking windscreens or not has more to do with the owner and their driving environment. A few years ago I broke two in 6 months on my Toyota truck, once because of my own stupidity and once collecting debris from a logging truck going the other way. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on instead of looking for someone to blame.
The glass mfrs make the glass according to the customer's (Subaru's) specifications. Subaru might ask for particularly lightweight glass to get better fuel economy, or clearer glass so eyesight works better, or any number of other parameters that might make the glass weaker as a tradeoff for some other engineering need.

In addition, Subaru might press the mfr particularly hard on price, leading to a lower quality result, for example by changing a QA criterion, so a larger fraction of production passes QA.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I would agree with you if I was hit by a large rock. I didn't even hear whatever hit the windshield - I heard it crack. No, my radio was not loud...I don't believe it was even on at the time.

Whatever the case, both my glass guy and my insurance rep say that windshields in modern cars are more prone to cracking, chipping and breaking. This isn't a only Subaru problem, but according to those that repair and replace windshields in MY area....Subaru's are notorious for it. (Note: I live in a State where people drive a lot of Subaru's....pretty common brand in these parts).

In any case, I will have the Clearplex film put on the new one which should help avoid a quarterly trip to get the windshield replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep. The more I think about it, the more I am considering trading it in for my second choice.

It's a great running car, but I'm not going to deal with a $1200 windshield replacement every 4 months. Outback, Forester, etc forums have very similar stories, and then there is the lawsuit over Subaru windshields.

There's something wrong here, and Subaru can deny it all they want, but the common thread is easily cracked windshields.
The dealer was very clear in explaining the eyesight system and described the windshield replacement package option. I opted for the coverage, it makes sense (up to 20 replacement windshields included). Did they not go over the program with you at delivery time?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Wasn't offered, but a LOT of insurance companies do not offer windshield coverage in this state (NM). Your dealer may have offered you a dealer backed coverage, but I don't believe SOA offers anything like that (but again, might be state dependent.)

I guess I would have to question a 20 windshield replacement package. Given that the average cost to replace these things is over $1K, you are talking about a package that covers $20K of replacements.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
14 Posts
2 months old and less than 3k miles on my 2021 Sport, and I'm now sporting a 7" crack on the lower driver's side of my windshield. I'd leave it and just deal, but the crack is just on the edge of my eyesight. Plus, I know it's there. Not looking forward to the replacement.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
2 months old and less than 3k miles on my 2021 Sport, and I'm now sporting a 7" crack on the lower driver's side of my windshield. I'd leave it and just deal, but the crack is just on the edge of my eyesight. Plus, I know it's there. Not looking forward to the replacement.
I'll be honest, I used the glass co the dealer uses for the first one. They scratched my paint, got mud inside the vehicle (as in, on the carpet, on the seat, dash, etc.) and the seal around the windshield didn't look right. NEVER again.

The glass company I used on my Honda did the second one. Looks like it was factory installed. (y) I had the option to use OEM or Pilkington. Decided to go OEM again, but this is the last time I put OEM glass on the vehicle.

Other than driving it home, I haven't driven the Subaru since. I have an appointment to get the Clearplex installed on the windshield, but it's not until 15 June. To avoid having to have the windshield replaced a third time, other than a short trip up the street, etc. I won't drive it until I take it to get the CP installed on the glass. :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have almost 24K miles - virtually all hwy on my 2021 and no cracks yet.

I do wax the windshield occasionally with Klasse auto wax which can be used on glass and fiberglass etc.

I think that this wax helps deflect the rocks and everything.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I have almost 24K miles - virtually all hwy on my 2021 and no cracks yet.

I do wax the windshield occasionally with Klasse auto wax which can be used on glass and fiberglass etc.

I think that this wax helps deflect the rocks and everything.
I ceramic coat my car to include the windows. I really just think its more about where you live, how many drivers are around, etc. Both of my cracks started from the outside edge of the window moving towards the center.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a $0 deductible the whole time I owned my F150 for 4 years and went through 3 windshields. The 3rd one had a crack and I gave up. It was not noticeable and not worth the hassle. When I got the Subaru, the dealership offered a lifetime replacement for $700, along with GAP and all the other extended warranty stuff I got. So I took it. The main reason I did not get that 4th windshield was even with USAA - a great insurance company who I have had for a very long time now, since at least 2006 - they stopped honoring the $0 deductible for windshields in Montana. This place is hell on windshields. So bad that even if you never have a chip, you can expect a replacement within 5 years just due to debris making your windshield look spotted even after a clay bar treatment and waxing. From my experience, it also has a lot to do with your specific vehicle. My f150 cracked and chipped the same area every time - with the exception of the rock chips that ALSO happened. So It was most likely structural too. No vehicle is perfect. But I agree with you Scythe, these windshields are SUPER thin because of the sensors and eyesight junk. Factor all these things in and it's just a disaster that Subaru needs to figure out. Honestly, when I was told the thickness of eyesight glass compared to regular glass I was ready to walk, and they offered the replacement package so I stayed. Still not sure if that was the right decision, but I also suspect there is no winning in some locations and windshields are definitely going to be a common issue no matter the make or model.

Also, USAA used safelight each time, and I swear those guys use a matte spray paint to clean the windows before installation. The second one on my F150 has specks all over the inside. I tried magic erasers, clay bars (yes, on the inside) and alcohol. Tons of stuff. I even scrubbed it with a teflon pad and a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. It never came off entirely. The next one I took a break at work while they did it and cleaned it myself - which pissed the guy off, I could tell - but I didn't care.

I am at 3k miles already and hear them all the time. The rocks hitting glass while driving. It happens more often from oncoming traffic - and 99% of the time from trucks with big *** tires and no fender extensions. I have been hit by a rock that bounced 3 times and I was at a very good distance behind a truck though. But again, no mudflaps. Usually, I am all for the state staying out of it and even hate the fact that I need to register a vehicle that I own to the state every year, but when it comes to this stuff, states need to require mudflaps, limit tire protrusions beyond the wheel wells, inspect vehicles yearly, and tons more. That was one reason I actually liked CA. The downside, is shady mechanics charging $100 for a gas cap. But if it keeps my windshield alive, it's not my fault someone isn't bright enough to find a cheaper gas cap or pass emissions tests without being taken advantage of.

Don't even get me started on the annual drivers license fees and classes that should be implemented too. /rant

41 - 60 of 61 Posts