Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this car, but.....IF I have to get a new windshield every 4,000 miles, it will be on the used car lot pretty quickly.

This is ridiculous that the windshield cracks if a fly hits it. Driving home today, heard a light hit on the windshield....BAM....10 inch crack. Replaced the first one at 3400 miles. :mad:

I will be writing to SOA and complaining about it. I am also NOT going to go OEM this time around since I am now pretty much convinced that ANYTHING would be better than the Subaru OEM glass.

It's almost like you can flick your finger on the glass and it will crack. 35+ years of driving and I have NEVER seen a windshield so prone to cracking, chipping, etc.

Rant OVER.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
777 Posts
Damn, you're very unlucky, LOL! LOTS of owners complain about their windshield cracking. Makes sense why they're always being sued for it... I think whatever material Subaru is using is junk & should fund more R&D into their windshield.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,525 Posts
Let us know if you hear anything back from SOA!

Zero-deductible glass coverage isn't a thing here in Montana -- it's just handled as a comprehensive claim, which sucks for someone like me with a $1000 deductible and a car with cameras that would need recalibration. So the windshield makes me nervous ...

·
Registered
777 Posts

Zero-deductible glass coverage isn't a thing here in Montana -- it's just handled as a comprehensive claim, which sucks for someone like me with a $1000 deductible and a car with cameras that would need recalibration. So the windshield makes me nervous ...
Reduce it to $500 if the price difference isn't that huge. If you can't, you can start saving up that piggy bank in case it happens...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, you're very unlucky, LOL! LOTS of owners complain about their windshield cracking. Makes sense why they're always being sued for it... I think whatever material Subaru is using is junk & should fund more R&D into their windshield.
[/QUO

I have Farmers, and I have their zero deductible glass buyback policy here in NM, but you only get two windshields per year per covered vehicle. I'm not sure I can make it a year with only two windshields, LOL.

I am NOT going to go OEM glass this time. At this point I don't care what SOA says about their glass being optically correct for the eyesight. I'd rather they disable the eyesight if I can put a windshield in that will actually survive a grain of sand hitting it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reduce it to $500 if the price difference isn't that huge. If you can't, you can start saving up that piggy bank in case it happens...
Safelight quotes $1,139 for the windshield and a calibration, so yeah, I would also recommend you lower the deductible. Honestly, I went from $500 to $250 and the difference over a 6 month policy was minimal. Ask your company or agent to show you the difference between the different deductibles.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm curious if not using OEM will make a huge difference. After all, it's glass, right?

Who wants to place their bets: How many windshields will Scythe go through this year? 😂

·
Registered
777 Posts
Safelight quotes $1,139 for the windshield and a calibration, so yeah, I would also recommend you lower the deductible. Honestly, I went from $500 to $250 and the difference over a 6 month policy was minimal. Ask your company or agent to show you the difference between the different deductibles.
That's expensive, I wonder how much it costs in Canada? Probably $2,000 CAD if I'm guessing.

·
Registered
926 Posts
almost 110k miles on my crosstrek and not so much as a star on my windshield. that's a record for me

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who wants to place their bets: How many windshields will Scythe go through this year? 😂
Well, don't put too much money down. If there's a third before 20K miles, you will find this car on the used car lot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I just filed a complaint with NHTSA and I encourage everyone to do the same. :(

As much as I love the vehicle, it's ridiculous that their windshields are so prone to cracking.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
95 Posts
All the roads in my county are Chip Sealed. My last rig with 20 years and 250k had the windshield replaced once from a dump truck kick up in opposite direction and a couple of small chips that I just "lived with" from later incidents. Road work season hasn't quite gotten underway yet but I'm practicing driving with fingers and toes crossed..... somewhat uncomfortable.

·
Not a Canadian
2,577 Posts
This is ridiculous that the windshield cracks if a fly hits it. Driving home today, heard a light hit on the windshield....BAM....10 inch crack. Replaced the first one at 3400 miles. :mad:

It's almost like you can flick your finger on the glass and it will crack. 35+ years of driving and I have NEVER seen a windshield so prone to cracking, chipping, etc.
I've had this spot on my windshield going on 2 years. Whatever hit it as I was going down hwy 75 at 70mph toward Dallas was loud. But it has not cracked any further beyond the fracture originating from its lower left. I can't see it from the driver side and it doesn't affect eyesight. So why spend the money?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,657 Posts
Sorry you're having to deal with this. For us it's the opposite, with no windshield issues, compared to our older cars on the junk-laden LA freeways here. However, we've had two punctures so far, with the first requiring a new tire.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've had this spot on my windshield going on 2 years. Whatever hit it as I was going down hwy 75 at 70mph toward Dallas was loud. But it has not cracked any further beyond the fracture originating from its lower left. I can't see it from the driver side and it doesn't affect eyesight. So why spend the money?
View attachment 305630
Have you thought about using a repair kit? Chrisfix has videos repairing cracks in your windshield.

·
Registered
461 Posts
So this forum which is made up of Subaruphiles(?), and is but a tiny sliver of all the Subarus out there, has a few cracked windshields and "Subaru has crap glass" and we should write SOA? This is my 5th Subaru, first one back in '96 or '97(and the first 2 were in Vt) and now 3 here in FL and not a damn ding. Must be the glass they use,lol. I love forums.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So this forum which is made up of Subaruphiles(?), and is but a tiny sliver of all the Subarus out there, has a few cracked windshields and "Subaru has crap glass" and we should write SOA? This is my 5th Subaru, first one back in '96 or '97(and the first 2 were in Vt) and now 3 here in FL and not a damn ding. Must be the glass they use,lol. I love forums.
Anything else to add? ;)

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
158 Posts
Damn. My Crosstrek is coming up to 51,000 km and I'm on my original glass. I guess I've been lucky so far.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Damn. My Crosstrek is coming up to 51,000 km and I'm on my original glass. I guess I've been lucky so far.
Yeah, I guess it's luck of the draw. I've only ever replaced glass three times in 35+ years of driving. Twice on a Honda Fit (12 years old, 286k miles), and once (soon to be twice) on 21 Crosstrek Limited, with 8400 miles on it.

Both cracks on the first and second windshield are almost in the exact same spot.... halfway up the windshield, crossing from the right side A pillar horizontally across the windshield. If I had side by side pictures, I think most would think it's a picture of the same windshield.

I requested a quote from an Exoshield installer, so I may do that right after the new glass is in. Not sure it's compatible with eyesight or not, but at this point I don't care.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts