Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I wanted to share something I just did for relatively cheap. I found a reddit post detailing changing out the 6.5" head unit from a 2019 premium to an 8" head unit from a limited without navigation. I happen to have a 2019 premium and wanted to make it happen too. At one point I found an 8" head unit from a limited without nav, but when I received it, the knobs and a button were broken, so I returned it and waited. Just recently I found a listing on car-part.com for a 6.5" head unit out of an 2019 Impreza Sport, but when I looked closer at the photos, it seemed to be an 8" unit. The salvage place couldn't tell me the exact part number of the head unit, but it seemed like it should work anyway- 6 speakers for the audio with no upgrades and no nav. (I called my local dealership parts department and asked them to check the vin for me.) I only paid $142 + $25 shipping for it! Once it arrived, I found a QR code sticker on the back that contained the part number, the exact part I was looking for from a 2019 limited trek. I referred to the NHSTA bulletin that the redditor linked in their comment on the post for the part numbers. Everything has worked for me so far (android auto, Sirius, backup camera, etc). The touch screen seems as responsive as my old one. There's a small scratched area on the bottom edge, but it's easy to ignore. I'm really pleased with the purchase, it was so much cheaper than paying ~$1000 for a new head unit. Cheaper than the shift plate and boot upgrade even. The car was definitely meant to have a screen this big. Oh, and it updates over wifi! The 6.5" head unit did not do that.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering wheel Audio equipment

·
Registered
108 Posts
Done the same thing on my ‘18 with a write up on this forum! It’s truly amazing how much it improves the interior.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One of those things that's def. on my list. But I'm going to have to find a pristine one. any marks would turn me off.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Base
18 Posts
Hi All,
I have a base 2021 CVT Crosstrek, with the 6.5 inch screen. I would love to upgrade it to the 8 in screen but I'm getting a little confused about the part numbers. So I am basically looking for an 8 inch screen for either a:
  • 2017+ Impreza without Navigation
  • 2018+ Crosstrek without Navigation
What are the specific part #'s for these? Also, would my '21 base have the Black Box? If not, does that have any effect on the installation?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
632 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi All,
I have a base 2021 CVT Crosstrek, with the 6.5 inch screen. I would love to upgrade it to the 8 in screen but I'm getting a little confused about the part numbers. So I am basically looking for an 8 inch screen for either a:
What are the specific part #'s for these? Also, would my '21 base have the Black Box? If not, does that have any effect on the installation?

Thanks everyone!
Only look for 2019 and up for both models because that is the 3.1 and not the 3.0. 17-18 is the 3.0, and 19+ is the 3.1. They are not cross compatible. I do not know what the pn’s for these are as I retrofitted my ‘18 with a 3.0. I’d take your radio out and check if you do, and if so make sure the one you buy has the same type of plug in’s as your car does.

My retrofit

Radio info

·
Registered
235 Posts
Which model is this one,
86201FL67A? And you didn't need any of the other aux, or xm cables. Was just plug and play from the 6.5" right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Which model is this one,
86201FL67A? And you didn't need any of the other aux, or xm cables. Was just plug and play from the 6.5" right?
That is the radio that only works with the Harmon Kardon audio upgrade from what I understand (the Navi radio). That PN is the 3.1 radio for 19 and up. I personally needed a new usb hookup for the CarPlay, but that was for the 3.0 (only 18 Crosstreks). Everything else is 19 & up

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is the radio that only works with the Harmon Kardon audio upgrade from what I understand (the Navi radio). That PN is the 3.1 radio for 19 and up. I personally needed a new usb hookup for the CarPlay, but that was for the 3.0 (only 18 Crosstreks). Everything else is 19 & up
Says 8" w/out nav. But the harman upgrade may be a thing..

Stereo Deck. HARMAN. Radio Control Unit. Fits Crosstrek, Impreza 8 display, w/o navigation, limited.

·
Registered
108 Posts
86201FL77A

This is what you are looking for. The amp on the Imprezas differs from the Crosstrek’s. This pn displays the “premium plus” more Crossteks than just one meaning it is compatible with the trek’s amp. I think it’s one of those things where Crosstrek’s 8” works with the Impreza’s amp, but the Impreza’s 8” doesn’t work with the crosstrek’s. I initially got a radio from an impreza and the audio didn’t function for that reason.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,661 Posts
Says 8" w/out nav. But the harman upgrade may be a thing..

Stereo Deck. HARMAN. Radio Control Unit. Fits Crosstrek, Impreza 8 display, w/o navigation, limited.
Lots of folks here confuse Harman Industries who build the HU with Harman Kardon which is an audio upgrade, bundled with nav on the 8" HU. So you can have a Harman HU that does not have HK or nav.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll post up when done. I'm going to be doing the Billetworkz short shifter bundle, and figure I'll take care of this while I have the console apart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Which model is this one,
Hey I'm so sorry I'm late getting back to this thread. This is the exact part number I used. It is the 8" head unit that is in the 2019 limited trim without navigation. I took a chance and ordered the head unit from an Impreza Sport and expected it to be part number 86201FL68A, but it was the 67A.

This was helpful to me: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150922-9999.pdf

I needed no new cables or anything. 100% plug and play. Just remember to reuse the black box that sits on top of your original head unit because I guess it's specific to your VIN.

Also, update, it's been some weeks and it's been working great still. The only thing- I disconnected it from my wifi because I was sick of the pop up telling me the software is up to date every time I leave from or return home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is incorrect. 86201FL670/86201FL67A is the 8" HU part number for a 2019 trek with 6 speakers (no HK audio upgrade) and no navigation. And also a 2019 Impreza Sport with no audio upgrade nor nav if my experience is the norm and not an exception.

I am unsure about part 86201FL77A, but it may also work for 2019+. I wanted to stick to my own model year to avoid any compatibility issues I'm unaware of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All,

Thanks everyone!
I found the same type of service bulletin that I used as a guide for the part number for the 2021s here. I imagine the part you would want is 86431FL65A. It actually doesn't seem like there is an Impreza option for 2021 as both 8" HU options have an HK amp? I suppose you could use the other 2019+ 8" non-nav HUs as dmiles suggested. I just googled for that service bulletin, so now you're only missing the one for 2020.

The only thing is, I'm not sure what happens with the audio with an 8" HU on a base model because I don't think the base has the 1" dash speakers. It may be not a plug and play situation?

I would guess you have the black box/Starlink thing like all HUs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey I'm so sorry I'm late getting back to this thread. This is the exact part number I used. It is the 8" head unit that is in the 2019 limited trim without navigation. I took a chance and ordered the head unit from an Impreza Sport and expected it to be part number 86201FL68A, but it was the 67A.

This was helpful to me: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150922-9999.pdf

I needed no new cables or anything. 100% plug and play. Just remember to reuse the black box that sits on top of your original head unit because I guess it's specific to your VIN.

Also, update, it's been some weeks and it's been working great still. The only thing- I disconnected it from my wifi because I was sick of the pop up telling me the software is up to date every time I leave from or return home.
The 18 I have did not work with the old black box. For some reason the Starlink system absolutely freaked out (red light flashing constantly as if I was calling them etc.) so I put one from an 8" in and it worked fine...gonna have to make a few changes to the write-up for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2022 Crosstrek Sport on the way. I didn't get option pack 22. If I can find the radio with part# 86201FL670, will that work on the 2022s or was something changed again?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2022 Crosstrek Sport on the way. I didn't get option pack 22. If I can find the radio with part# 86201FL670, will that work on the 2022s or was something changed again?
I would assume something has likely changed again...anyone on here done a retrofit on a 21/22? Similar to what @Bumbleface said, you likely want to get one from your year or something really close to it. For you, that would be either the 21 or 22. However, on Subaru's part website, it seems the pn hasn't changed from the 86201FL670/67A. So you could try and take a chance with an older one if you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would assume something has likely changed again...anyone on here done a retrofit on a 21/22? Similar to what @Bumbleface said, you likely want to get one from your year or something really close to it. For you, that would be either the 21 or 22. However, on Subaru's part website, it seems the pn hasn't changed from the 86201FL670/67A. So you could try and take a chance with an older one if you want.
I went looking for the part number on Subaru, found it. But when I added 2022 to the mix, I got the red box saying it doesn't work. Maybe it hasn't been updated yet, as the cars are just getting here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts