Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I wanted to write a small post about hauling a larger trailer with a crosstrek. There is not many testimonials for the 2018+ crosstrek on long hauls pulling a trailer, so I figured I would add mine here. My wife and I recently got hitched in Florida and we towed a 1964 Layton "Canned Ham" camper with us along the way.

Capture.jpg

Initially I thought this trialer only weighed about 800lbs, as the title reads. After doing a few test hauls, I took it to a scale in town and it weighed out to 1,460lbs. Being that the towing capacity of the 18 crosstrek is 1,500lbs, this made me a bit nervious, understandably. The plan was to take it from Northern Michigan down the the Florida Keys. That comes out to about 1,700 miles on the shortest route one-way. We planned to take out time getting home and stop at every state park we could on the way home.

As the initial testing went really well, I wasn't as much worried about moving the trailer as I was about stopping it, especially in the mountian passes that we would invevitebly hit on the way down and back. The tow rating has the crosstrek at 1,500 lbs with trailer brakes. For some peace of mind on my part, I ordered a drilled and slotted brake kit from BrakePerformace.com. Now I know what you're going to say, "this is not enough to replace trailer brakes," but after testing the vehilce with factoy brakes, I was confident that It could stop the trailer in a reasonable distance. Any assistance offered by the upgraded rotors and pads would be a plus. They had a special going on, all four corners with premium ceramic pads totaled $314.57.

Capture2.JPG

I will post a review on the brakes at another time.

I attached a Yakima basket on the roof with a full size steel wheel and spare tire ( current wheel setup: 17x7 Braid Winrace A Wrapped in Yokohama Geolandar AT-s 225 60/17). Aerodynamics were not at our advantage, but with the air dams, I like to think it helped direct wind over the top of the trailer. We had 3 smaller adults <180lbs, a chocolate Lab and a 3lb chihuahua (every pound counts). We had a tail car all the way down so we put most of our luggage in with them. We traveled I-75 south almost the entire way down, only to go off track to stay at a couple state parks along the way, Frozen Head State Park in northern Tennesee, and Myakka State park near Sarasota, FL. Along the flatter streches of road, I was able to maintin a speed of 65mph where we averaged about 19mph with the RPMs around 2,500-2,700. The mountian passes down I-75 through Kentucky and Tennissee were not bad at all, the weather was misty and 50-55 degrees so I was happy for the cooling aspect of the weather. Up the steeper passes, I would run down to about 50mph and try and keep the RPMs below 4k, staying behind semi trucks that were also running slower speeds.

Capture3.jpg

Capture5.jpg

Total, the way down we traveled about 1,800 miles and safely arrived at our destination. I kept an eye on the oil levels every gas stop, I never saw a change in oil level for the entire trip. Here is a photo of the setup at the wedding, it doulbed really well as a photo booth for the wedding shenanigans..

Capture4.jpg

The way home we lost an adult (he flew home don't worry) and the tail car, it was Just the wife and I and our pets. So we had a little weight loss that I was happy about. The plan was to take the eastern edge ofthe US all the way back to Michigan. This route was better as we stayed on smaller and less busy highways to adventure all the state parks we had planned out. Everything went smoothly. The toughest park of the whole trip was going through Ashville area up Highway 26. There must have been 50 miles of moutian pass after moutian pass. At times we would be at about 35-40 mph up the steep ones (once again behind semis). We hit a couple downhill grades of 10%. At the higher speeds, due to the height of the camper and tire carrier, braking wasn't much of an issue. The car didn't seem to really gain crazy speed on the downhill sections (air brake?). Only intermittent braking was needed and I never really had to ride them. Now, there were a few smaller roads that we traveled over to Interstate Breaks State Park (no pun). We took State road 63 from St. Paul VA to Breaks VA (the State Park). Holy cow, If you're ever in that area, Please, Take that road!!! Amazing. But here, at the slower speeds (under 55mph) winding through mining town upong minding town and under harder cornering, the brake kit really came in handy, at I saw us rise and fall 1000 feet in a very short ammount of time. After stopping for beer once towards the end, I could defenetly smell they were working hard.

The total milage of the trip came about to about 4,300 miles. I never had any any issues what so ever the whole trip. The Crosstrek feels as good today as the day that we left.

So there ya go, if you're thinking about it and are nervious as I was, just take it easy, watch your speed, keep an eye on those RPMs, keep a safe distance of cars in front of you, and above all enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
michiganmac, I left this thread and deleted the other one as this one had the pictures as pictures while the other thread had them as attachments.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
471 Posts
Hi All

I wanted to write a small post about hauling a larger trailer with a crosstrek. There is not many testimonials for the 2018+ crosstrek on long hauls pulling a trailer, so I figured I would add mine here. My wife and I recently got hitched in Florida and we towed a 1964 Layton "Canned Ham" camper with us along the way.

View attachment 289590

Initially I thought this trialer only weighed about 800lbs, as the title reads. After doing a few test hauls, I took it to a scale in town and it weighed out to 1,460lbs. Being that the towing capacity of the 18 crosstrek is 1,500lbs, this made me a bit nervious, understandably. The plan was to take it from Northern Michigan down the the Florida Keys. That comes out to about 1,700 miles on the shortest route one-way. We planned to take out time getting home and stop at every state park we could on the way home.

As the initial testing went really well, I wasn't as much worried about moving the trailer as I was about stopping it, especially in the mountian passes that we would invevitebly hit on the way down and back. The tow rating has the crosstrek at 1,500 lbs with trailer brakes. For some peace of mind on my part, I ordered a drilled and slotted brake kit from BrakePerformace.com. Now I know what you're going to say, "this is not enough to replace trailer brakes," but after testing the vehilce with factoy brakes, I was confident that It could stop the trailer in a reasonable distance. Any assistance offered by the upgraded rotors and pads would be a plus. They had a special going on, all four corners with premium ceramic pads totaled $314.57.

View attachment 289592

I will post a review on the brakes at another time.

I attached a Yakima basket on the roof with a full size steel wheel and spare tire ( current wheel setup: 17x7 Braid Winrace A Wrapped in Yokohama Geolandar AT-s 225 60/17). Aerodynamics were not at our advantage, but with the air dams, I like to think it helped direct wind over the top of the trailer. We had 3 smaller adults <180lbs, a chocolate Lab and a 3lb chihuahua (every pound counts). We had a tail car all the way down so we put most of our luggage in with them. We traveled I-75 south almost the entire way down, only to go off track to stay at a couple state parks along the way, Frozen Head State Park in northern Tennesee, and Myakka State park near Sarasota, FL. Along the flatter streches of road, I was able to maintin a speed of 65mph where we averaged about 19mph with the RPMs around 2,500-2,700. The mountian passes down I-75 through Kentucky and Tennissee were not bad at all, the weather was misty and 50-55 degrees so I was happy for the cooling aspect of the weather. Up the steeper passes, I would run down to about 50mph and try and keep the RPMs below 4k, staying behind semi trucks that were also running slower speeds.

View attachment 289594

View attachment 289598

Total, the way down we traveled about 1,800 miles and safely arrived at our destination. I kept an eye on the oil levels every gas stop, I never saw a change in oil level for the entire trip. Here is a photo of the setup at the wedding, it doulbed really well as a photo booth for the wedding shenanigans..

View attachment 289596

The way home we lost an adult (he flew home don't worry) and the tail car, it was Just the wife and I and our pets. So we had a little weight loss that I was happy about. The plan was to take the eastern edge ofthe US all the way back to Michigan. This route was better as we stayed on smaller and less busy highways to adventure all the state parks we had planned out. Everything went smoothly. The toughest park of the whole trip was going through Ashville area up Highway 26. There must have been 50 miles of moutian pass after moutian pass. At times we would be at about 35-40 mph up the steep ones (once again behind semis). We hit a couple downhill grades of 10%. At the higher speeds, due to the height of the camper and tire carrier, braking wasn't much of an issue. The car didn't seem to really gain crazy speed on the downhill sections (air brake?). Only intermittent braking was needed and I never really had to ride them. Now, there were a few smaller roads that we traveled over to Interstate Breaks State Park (no pun). We took State road 63 from St. Paul VA to Breaks VA (the State Park). Holy cow, If you're ever in that area, Please, Take that road!!! Amazing. But here, at the slower speeds (under 55mph) winding through mining town upong minding town and under harder cornering, the brake kit really came in handy, at I saw us rise and fall 1000 feet in a very short ammount of time. After stopping for beer once towards the end, I could defenetly smell they were working hard.

The total milage of the trip came about to about 4,300 miles. I never had any any issues what so ever the whole trip. The Crosstrek feels as good today as the day that we left.

So there ya go, if you're thinking about it and are nervious as I was, just take it easy, watch your speed, keep an eye on those RPMs, keep a safe distance of cars in front of you, and above all enjoy the ride.
Outstanding in your field...well that's what camping is about eh! Thanks for taking the time to report out. Congratulations on getting hitched! I learned a lot from your contribution although we have a much smaller pop up trailer. Let us know more about the brakes. As I understand brakes it isn't about their ability to stop you once or faster, but their ability to avoid fade and stop you time and again with a load.

In any case thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your detailed report. I may have missed it but do you have the 6 speed or the CVT. And did you downshift for additional braking?

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'd probably change the CVT fluid before winter after that kind of trip. Wow!

artosa

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies all.

Thanks for your detailed report. I may have missed it but do you have the 6 speed or the CVT. And did you downshift for additional braking?

Thanks, Gary
The crosstrek is a CVT. I didn’t use the paddles at all to engine brake down steep grades at all, if figured trans was working hard enough as is and..well I wanted to use those brakes I paid for lol. I realized shortly after taking that photo of the new brakes that the rotor was on backwards. They are directional so I had to switch them before bedding them/braking them in.

As I understand brakes it isn't about their ability to stop you once or faster, but their ability to avoid fade and stop you time and again with a load.
And yes, they help prevent fade bud I’d like to think they could stop me a little faster due to the cooling properties/higher grade pad. but I’m not an engineer. I didn’t experience any brake fade on the whole trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd probably change the CVT fluid before winter after that kind of trip. Wow!

artosa

Yeah I was pretty bummed to see that there wasn't a trans dipstick on the crosstrek, or a trans temp gauge readout anywhere. I'm sure finding a CVT change video for an 18 will be easy...

·
Registered
649 Posts
PITA for a flush! Maybe do a couple of drain and fills over six months, at least you just have miles under severe service, not years.

artosa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts