Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,511 Posts
Good for you! The marketing department probably calculated it on the average driver who keeps a car for 3 yrs/36K mi.
most people use a mechanic. if a mechanic is working on a car i don't think most people will attempt to supply a low-cost item like brake pads. for sure "that guy" will, and in the trades we have a name (s) for him

·
Registered
835 Posts
most people use a mechanic. if a mechanic is working on a car i don't think most people will attempt to supply a low-cost item like brake pads. for sure "that guy" will, and in the trades we have a name (s) for him
My mechanic also drives a 16 Trek. He’s always allowed me to bring my own oil, air filters etc. If I can get an upgrade to ceramic brake pads, and take an active role in maintaining my vehicles I don’t think it’s an issue. I had an 04 Mazda 3 before my Trek. I went about 90k before having to replace pads, and close to 200k before I needed rotors. I’ve shared some tips with my guy, and he appreciates getting all the work on three vehicles in my household, and as many referrals as I have given him. He’s recently sold me Nokian tires for two vehicles for about $500.00 out the door. Way better than the factory ones, IMO. We consider ourselves lucky to have someone looking out for us, and actually sent a gift when his wife recently had a baby. My car is the one anyone or any dealership wants. But they aren’t going to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,511 Posts
My mechanic also drives a 16 Trek. He’s always allowed me to bring my own oil, air filters etc. If I can get an upgrade to ceramic brake pads, and take an active role in maintaining my vehicles I don’t think it’s an issue. I had an 04 Mazda 3 before my Trek. I went about 90k before having to replace pads, and close to 200k before I needed rotors. I’ve shared some tips with my guy, and he appreciates getting all the work on three vehicles in my household, and as many referrals as I have given him. He’s recently sold me Nokian tires for two vehicles for about $500.00 out the door. Way better than the factory ones, IMO. We consider ourselves lucky to have someone looking out for us, and actually sent a gift when his wife recently had a baby. My car is the one anyone or any dealership wants. But they aren’t going to get it.

you're a rare case butch. sounds like you have a special relationship with your guy. most people do not supply their own parts and what's more most mechanic shops don't allow it

·
Registered
835 Posts
you're a rare case butch. sounds like you have a special relationship with your guy. most people do not supply their own parts and what's more most mechanic shops don't allow it
Agreed. We have a long relationship, and I never took liberties. He suggested it to me. And all my friends who I’ve referred rave about the guy. It’s tough to find an honest guy who cares about his customers these days. Most dealerships want to change your winter air in your tires for summer air.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Agreed. We have a long relationship, and I never took liberties. He suggested it to me. And all my friends who I’ve referred rave about the guy. It’s tough to find an honest guy who cares about his customers these days. Most dealerships want to change your winter air in your tires for summer air.

Sadly, it's getting harder for the independents as cars get more complex. The investment just for one brand in diagnostics and special tools can be enormous...

We have a great guy in Venice whom we've used for 14 years. He installed the hitch on our Crosstrek last week.

Reactions: Butch_Coolidge

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
A reminder that downshifting when heading down hill will reduce the amount of braking that is required, thus reducing wear on the brake pads.
I've seen arguments that this causes more wear on the engine and transmission and that since brake pads are cheap to replace they are a better option. I don't have an opinion one way or another. FWIW, I often switch to manual and select a lower gear when descending from the mountains (also prevents the brakes from overheating in the summer) but wouldn't routinely do it during normal driving.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Sarang

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,795 Posts
Good for you! The marketing department probably calculated it on the average driver who keeps a car for 3 yrs/36K mi.

Right. Most people will pay a little premium for the quaranty. and then never use it. So it's a marketing ploy. They write off the little loss they take. But if you do use it, then the store gets a customer for other sales.

·
He wasn't there!
1,795 Posts
I've seen arguments that this causes more wear on the engine and transmission and that since brake pads are cheap to replace they are a better option. I don't have an opinion one way or another. FWIW, I often switch to manual and select a lower gear when descending from the mountains (also prevents the brakes from overheating in the summer) but wouldn't routinely do it during normal driving.

Thoughts?

This comes down to whether the grade is long and steep enough so that overheating the brakes is a real concern. If it is, downshift. If it's not cars don't need to downshift. Unless it's icy, in which downshifting gives you more control than braking. The Mt Washington tourist road, for example, tells you to use low gear over and over again. Trucks have to downshift in places that cars do not, due to the mass that needs to be slowed.

You wear brakes out faster driving in the city vs highway.

I have 5mm left on brakes with 30k miles of mostly city driving.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
He wasn't there!
1,795 Posts
....and you'd have more if you did mostly highway driving. :)

I'm guessing Connecticut is not as hilly as San Francisco is. That's just a wild guess on my part. ;)

That depends where in CT. And where in SF, for that matter. SF isn't that hilly for most of the places most people drive. Neither is CT.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
That depends where in CT. And where in SF, for that matter. SF isn't that hilly for most of the places most people drive. Neither is CT.
Yeah, I've lived in the SF Bay Area and CT. It's only parts of downtown SF that have the crazy hills you see on postcards. It was also pretty flat where I lived in CT, in the Westport area but I went skiing in the mountains there.

Reactions: Cutlass

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
271 Posts
There are lots of hills here in San Francisco
That depends where in CT. And where in SF, for that matter. SF isn't that hilly for most of the places most people drive.
Assuming from the OP's original post, he drives a fair amount in the hilly areas, or he wouldn't have mentioned it. :)

·
He wasn't there!
1,795 Posts
Assuming from the OP's original post, he drives a fair amount in the hilly areas, or he wouldn't have mentioned it. :)

I live a couple 100 feet above what's 1/2 mile from me as well. CT and hills is an old joke too.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Here is a vague explanation from internet. Please take it with a grain of salt.
I noticed this: "If you get a replacement, your warranty will also cover the replacement part for the longer of 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty period."

Doesn't seem like you can keep going back and getting free new ones for as long as you own the vehicle?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I noticed this: "If you get a replacement, your warranty will also cover the replacement part for the longer of 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty period."

Doesn't seem like you can keep going back and getting free new ones for as long as you own the vehicle?
The remainder of lifetime warranty seems like lifetime.
Though I do laugh at the idea of the term though. Once part fails, it's life is over....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
The remainder of lifetime warranty seems like lifetime.
Though I do laugh at the idea of the term though. Once part fails, it's life is over....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ha, ha, yes, this sure is a weird one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
3 mm is getting down there, letting them run too far down can cause other issues and higher costs. Caliper pistons do not always like going back in when they come out too far, rotors can get destroyed if the pad gets too far gone.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts