Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2019 Crosstrek has 3mm left on the rear brakes (6mm left on fronts) after 30k miles. I'm reading discussions on how the rear brakes are engaged more often now to prevent nose dives and whatnot but I seriously only drive the car in the city and rarely slam on the brakes. I have 25 plus years under my belt of safe driving and this car is for family big city people mover driving only. There are lots of hills here in San Francisco sure but I don't feel brakes should be going after 2 years and 30k miles only.

Any thoughts or insights as to what else might be causing premature wear? I know rear brakes are easy and cheap to do but if its a warranty thing I want to catch it while I'm covered.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,502 Posts
Mine is at 32k and no where near needing pads. I would suspect a mechanical reason, or a driver using the brakes a lot. It's impossible for us to diagnose either from the internet, but since you're still in the 3yr/36k warranty, maybe have the dealership take a look. They might just give you free pads.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
So my 2019 Crosstrek has 3mm left on the rear brakes (6mm left on fronts) after 30k miles. I'm reading discussions on how the rear brakes are engaged more often now to prevent nose dives and whatnot but I seriously only drive the car in the city and rarely slam on the brakes. I have 25 plus years under my belt of safe driving and this car is for family big city people mover driving only. There are lots of hills here in San Francisco sure but I don't feel brakes should be going after 2 years and 30k miles only.

Any thoughts or insights as to what else might be causing premature wear? I know rear brakes are easy and cheap to do but if its a warranty thing I want to catch it while I'm covered.
Brakes (and clutches) are included under the factory 3 yr/36K mi warranty.

·
Registered
496 Posts
With AWD cars, they bias the brakes more heavily in the rear, vs a standard 2wd vehicle. The families old MY11 Outback needed brakes all-round at about 30+k. The rears were definitely shot compared to the fronts, but I just replaced everything(pads, rotors, fluid, all-round). This way you don't need to deal with it for awhile. City miles are hard ones(especially in hilly environments, dry surges pumps, etc...). Our 330xi gets city driven and it needs additional servicing due to this.
regards

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
Reactions: Marty1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is at 32k and no where near needing pads. I would suspect a mechanical reason, or a driver using the brakes a lot. It's impossible for us to diagnose either from the internet, but since you're still in the 3yr/36k warranty, maybe have the dealership take a look. They might just give you free pads.
Thanks. I’ll schedule an appointment. I better double check to see if they would charge if nothing is found.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
oh wow. Do they need to be having problems to be replaced? Or just ask and they’ll take care of it?
It depends on the dealer. Some will try to sell you blades when they know darn well they should be covered under warranty. It's worth asking when you're getting close to the end of the factory warranty.

The Warranty Manual is pretty clear:

Reactions: dbizzle22

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You wear brakes out faster driving in the city vs highway.
Makes sense now that I think about it. But not even 30k and down to 3mm seems excessive. Dealer says it'll cost me $45 if they don't find anything. I think I'm going to take the gamble despite having a feeling they're going to say there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
Specially OP is in San Francisco. All the up and down the hill. Subaru is well known for rear brake bias. My wife’s 2007 impreza wagon wear out first set of rear brake around 40k miles and we live in far west Chicago suburb. So far, her 2018 crosstrek is only 26k miles after almost 4 years and no need to replace the rear brake pads yet.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,524 Posts
Specially OP is in San Francisco. All the up and down the hill. Subaru is well known for rear brake bias. My wife’s 2007 impreza wagon wear out first set of rear brake around 40k miles and we live in far west Chicago suburb. So far, her 2018 crosstrek is only 26k miles after almost 4 years and no need to replace the rear brake pads yet.
30k is within the range, albeit the lower end. without calipers and knowledge of how the car is driven i can only add that the rears on my last crosstrek were replaced at 50k miles. i drove that car hard but i don't ride the brakes

·
Registered
860 Posts

If it roughly same thickness for both rear pads, then most likely is just the hill environment that cause more wear. The crosstrek rear pad is kind of tiny so with heavy usage it may wear faster since the Vehicle Stability System may also activate it during turning even without the driver hits brake pedal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
30k is within the range, albeit the lower end. without calipers and knowledge of how the car is driven i can only add that the rears on my last crosstrek were replaced at 50k miles. i drove that car hard but i don't ride the brakes
I don't drive hard at all or ride the brakes all day long.

The city streets I drive don't really allow for any more than 35-45 mph. Hills you're talking stop sign to stop sign driving so 20-30 max before its time to hit the brakes. If the rear brakes really do tend to go faster than normal due to size of pads, rear brake bias etc ... then I guess I'll just live with that. Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it roughly same thickness for both rear pads, then most likely is just the hill environment that cause more wear. The crosstrek rear pad is kind of tiny so with heavy usage it may wear faster since the Vehicle Stability System may also activate it during turning even without the driver hits brake pedal.
I'll keep and measure my old pads to see what the story is then.

Now it's time to search for what kind of non-performance minded brake pads and rotors folks around here like :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
When your warranty is up, if you buy pads at Autozone they have a lifetime warranty. Once you replace the first set of pads, you buy new ones and return the used for a full refund. I’ve done it on several vehicles for decades. I always get the best pads they sell. They have upgrades to ceramic pads also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
When your warranty is up, if you buy pads at Autozone they have a lifetime warranty. Once you replace the first set of pads, you buy new ones and return the used for a full refund. I’ve done it on several vehicles for decades. I always get the best pads they sell. They have upgrades to ceramic pads also.

What kind of a business model is that? Are they assuming you'll sell the car before you need another set?

·
Registered
131 Posts
What kind of a business model is that? Are they assuming you'll sell the car before you need another set?
Yep. I’d love to know the % sales that account for that. Probably single digits!

OP - brake pads are super easy to replace. I did my first set (including rotors) on my last crosstrek and I’m glad I’ve learned how to do them. If I were you I’d go buy some ceramics like @Butch_Coolidge said and set out to learn a new skill!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I’m not sure, but I haven’t paid for brake pads in a very long time. I keep my cars well over 200k. The pads wear well also. You get the choice of good,better, best. I always opt for best.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
I’m not sure, but I haven’t paid for brake pads in a very long time. I keep my cars well over 200k. The pads wear well also. You get the choice of good,better, best. I always opt for best.

Good for you! The marketing department probably calculated it on the average driver who keeps a car for 3 yrs/36K mi.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts