Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to clock 36K mile on my Trek and had decided to take it in to the dealer for the corresponding service per the owners manual. The price of the service would have been $599! :oops: I cancelled the appointment and asked only for the multipoint inspection which can be accomplished in their express lane without an appointment. I change my own oil and air filters. This schedule of theirs seems to be a money grab. One of the items for the 36K service is a brake fluid change. Like WTF! Over my 60 years of driving and owning cars I have NEVER changed my brake fluids and have NEVER had any brake problems with any of my cars including those with high mileage. And YES I understand that the characteristics of brake fluid can change over time due to heat. But is a fluid change really necessary? Based on my experience, NO!

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
995 Posts
Have you done instrumented tests? Did you know brake fluid absorbs water? Have you ever had to ungunk caliper pistons or rebuild/ replace them (I know the answer, just making a point).
Is it absolutely necessary to change the fluid? No, but it is preventative. Do it yourself, it's super easy.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Have you done instrumented tests? Did you know brake fluid absorbs water? Have you ever had to ungunk caliper pistons or rebuild/ replace them (I know the answer, just making a point).
Is it absolutely necessary to change the fluid? No, but it is preventative. Do it yourself, it's super easy.
It's a difficult one person job. Easy to add air, and need bleeding after.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
340 Posts
Yeah stealership's service departments are obscenely overpriced, dishonest about what is "needed", and sometimes just lie outright. This isn't new.
I brought my Legacy in for an alignment after I replaced the struts, only to have the service adviser tell me I urgently needed to pay them to replace my struts because they had completely failed and it was dangerous to drive.

Changing brake fluid is kind of a pain, but you can do it yourself with some basic tools for much cheaper.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
109 Posts
...........One of the items for the 36K service is a brake fluid change. Like WTF! Over my 60 years of driving and owning cars I have NEVER changed my brake fluids and have NEVER had any brake problems with any of my cars including those with high mileage. And YES I understand that the characteristics of brake fluid can change over time due to heat. But is a fluid change really necessary? Based on my experience, NO!
I will have to say that in the past I have never flushed out brake fluid in all the years of owning cars & trucks. It wasn't even listed in the manual as a PM item. In reality it got flushed when you bleed out the brakes with a brake job. Plus there was no ABS on any of my older vehicles which equals simplicity. Common sense will say keep an eye on the fluid and use discretion on what needs to be done. Our '14 model car still has the OEM fluid and is as clear as can be. So far I have never had to add fluid either over the 60k miles driven thus far. So I will not flush it until it needs brake pads.

I did have a '53 chevy pickup that I pulled out of the woods. Brake fluid was black - so I did flush it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good call.

Most of the stuff on the maintenance intervals are just inspections anyways so they don’t do a whole lot of actual service.

You can get your brake fluid tested for moisture content to find out. Chances are it will last you 100k/10years. If not much longer.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,850 Posts
Good call.

Most of the stuff on the maintenance intervals are just inspections anyways so they don’t do a whole lot of actual service.

You can get your brake fluid tested for moisture content to find out. Chances are it will last you 100k/10years. If not much longer.
Decades ago when I was was taking my Jags to tracks for fun, I had high performance brake pads and fluid (which had to be changed frequently). Can modern everyday brake fluid really go 100k/10years and not build up enough moisture to cause brake fade when you're heading down a mountain?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure about mountains, my car has stock brake fluid that is 8 years old and 107k miles.

I don’t live near any mountains so not sure. If you do go through mountains probably best to get it tested or just change it. Yourself.

·
Registered
'16 Subaru CrossTrek Limited w/Tech
66 Posts
You can do (or not) what you want with your car. Though I would caution you against using 60 years of car ownership as any gauge. Cars today verse a car from even 10 years ago (let alone 60) are entirely different beasts in a ridiculous number of ways!

My question: Is your car under any type of warranty? Quickest way to have Subaru and/or the Dealer flip you the bird when a warranty issue comes up; is them finding you don't bother to service the car as prescribed by Subaru. At that point, you may find $599 was effectively a automotive bargain bin deal of the year!

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My question: Is your car under any type of warranty? Quickest way to have Subaru and/or the Dealer flip you the bird when a warranty issue comes up; is them finding you don't bother to service the car as prescribed by Subaru. At that point, you may find $599 was effectively a automotive bargain bin deal of the year!
In 16 days or in just 547 miles the car goes out of warranty (3 yr 36k miles). So at this point it really doesn't matter. I change my O I L and filters religiously. When it comes to the car needing new brake pads I may consider changing the fluid at that time but it won't be the dealer doing the job!

BTW huge advances in fluids and lubricants have come about over the years. They are far more robust than 60 years ago. I would think that in the case of brake fluid, we'd have a much better product better able to endure its harsh environment..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well you know dealerships make money on service and accessories...

I like to swap brake fluid every few years when I do my diff/trans (on a manual car) fluids. I have a motive bleeder but have also done a gravity bleed without any issues. The brake pedal feels stiffer afterward, whether that's mental or actual who knows. I switch back and forth between blue and gold brake fluid so its easier to tell when the newer stuff has made its way through the system.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
995 Posts
Well you know dealerships make money on service and accessories...

I like to swap brake fluid every few years when I do my diff/trans (on a manual car) fluids. I have a motive bleeder but have also done a gravity bleed without any issues. The brake pedal feels stiffer afterward, whether that's mental or actual who knows. I switch back and forth between blue and gold brake fluid so its easier to tell when the newer stuff has made its way through the system.
Which blue do you use?

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,715 Posts
DIY for WAY cheaper and peace of mind that it's been done.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Crap, I was hoping you found a new blue!
As far as I remember, DOT ratings only allow for clear/amber color?

When the Blue got banned, it was selling on the secondary market for CRAZY money.
Yeah stupid me, I just used up my last unopened can of blue last time around.

There have been discussions on other forums regarding dyeing the normal brake fluid. I'll probably go to my old default of emptying the reservoir with a turkey baster/syringe and just pushing enough new fluid in until it looks clean from each caliper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts