Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
(skip to 18:30 to see the result). Gosh, I'd love to see a full-size version of that (although it's probably inefficient as hell).
Ingenious. 馃槂 I vote for a full size model, too. 馃憤

Registered
I doubt Subaru is going to give us a precise breakdown by trim level, but yeah鈥 It would be really interesting. The article below says that Subaru is expecting the 2.5 engine to account for 50% of this model year鈥檚 sales:

Anecdotally, I鈥檝e spent a lot of time lately looking at dealer websites, both for my own purchase and while helping a friend look for a new Crosstrek. The 2021 Premium models are getting easy to find, but the Limiteds are in short supply. I鈥檓 guessing those are getting purchased as soon as they arrive at dealerships.
I was disappointed with the Sport model. For the money, if a person values safety features鈥擫ED headlights, Reverse Automatic Breaking鈥 the Sport isn鈥檛 an option. Also, compared to the Forester Sport with the same engine and all LED lights, the CrossTrek Sport doesn鈥檛 make sense financially.

Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
^ indeed. It would have been interesting to see the arguing and debate on where to position the 2.5 engine vs. the 2.0 in the trims. They could have just given the larger engine to the limited, but it seems they wanted to increase sales by offering an "as cheap as possible" alternative with the 2.5... hence the birth of the Outdoor (CAN) / Sport (USA) models.

That almost makes me want to start a rant on how the automotive industry lags terribly when it comes to offering customizable models as opposed to swallow-it-all trims. I understand that a moonroof, transmission or a de-icing windshield is not an "add-on", but headlamps, fog lights, grilles, heated mirrors / seats / steering wheel, mags, head units, speakers, satnav, cameras, and so on could fairly easily be selected when ordering a car, shifting some of the work from the factory to the dealer (who would install it on baseline models). The millennial and younger generation is used to clicking options and having personalized things - only a matter of time before it puts increasing pressure on car manufacturers. The trim I have is an incredible fluke insofar as I would have neither added or removed anything from it. Doesn't happen often, and what I want is not necessarily what the next customer wants.

Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
The thing is, a couple generations ago you could order your new car with a long list of individualized build options -- not just the handful of accessories that are mostly just tacked on at the port nowadays. Car builders moved away from that because it complicated the distribution channel too much. The current approach is much easier for them - and presumably more profitable, since it cuts manufacturing costs and also gets people to buy entire packages of options instead of just selecting a few of them a la carte.

Premium Member
just selecting a few of them a la carte.
Oh man, those were the days. I'm old enough that I remember being able to sit down with the salesman and just check the options you wanted and then the car would be built to your spec and delivered in a few weeks to a couple of months. Very few "packages" at that time.

Of course, dealers back then didn't maintain a great deal of inventory on their lots either.

Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
^ indeed. It would have been interesting to see the arguing and debate on where to position the 2.5 engine vs. the 2.0 in the trims. They could have just given the larger engine to the limited, but it seems they wanted to increase sales by offering an "as cheap as possible" alternative with the 2.5... hence the birth of the Outdoor (CAN) / Sport (USA) models.

That almost makes me want to start a rant on how the automotive industry lags terribly when it comes to offering customizable models as opposed to swallow-it-all trims. I understand that a moonroof, transmission or a de-icing windshield is not an "add-on", but headlamps, fog lights, grilles, heated mirrors / seats / steering wheel, mags, head units, speakers, satnav, cameras, and so on could fairly easily be selected when ordering a car, shifting some of the work from the factory to the dealer (who would install it on baseline models). The millennial and younger generation is used to clicking options and having personalized things - only a matter of time before it puts increasing pressure on car manufacturers. The trim I have is an incredible fluke insofar as I would have neither added or removed anything from it. Doesn't happen often, and what I want is not necessarily what the next customer wants.

That's actually a higher cost to the manufacturer. Which is why they mostly went away from it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts