Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TorqueNews reports:

"...when the third-generation model arrives in 2023, it will get a new turbocharged engine, if reports from Japan are accurate. The report says both the Crosstrek and Impreza will be powered by a new 1.5-liter direct-injection turbocharged Boxer engine that will replace the current FB20 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated engine."

"Also, look for Subaru to drop the 6-speed manual transmission in 2023 Crosstrek models and only offer the subcompact SUV with a Lineartronic CVT automatic transmission. Subaru will offer all trims with standard EyeSight driver assist technology."

source: The New Subaru Crosstrek Gets A Power Upgrade - Its Next Big Move Is A Turbo

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
151 Posts
Does this mean they'll retain the 2.5L NA engine in the upper trims? I know it's all conjecture at this point but is that what's being implied?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Torque News is just click bate. So much of the stuff they say is BS. Thus I wouldn't bet much on the accuracy of the is article.

Reactions: HeyChris and Sarang

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
69 Posts
Yup. All Western media articles stem from that vague Japanese one. Allegedly, 148hp. I wonder though about the long-term reliability of small turbo engines.. will they sustain 250 000km with no repairs such as the N/A ones? If it's confirmed, I think I'll get a 2022 Crosstrek to have the last MT on the market..

Besides, Torque News repeats a common error. It can be argued that the current Crosstrek is in its 3rd generation, not 2nd. The first one was the Impreza XV (from 2010+)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I wonder though about the long-term reliability of small turbo engines..
I would be leery of the tiny turbo engine. It sees much more stress due to RPMs and forces needed to get it its zip hence more wear. I listen to Scotty Kilmer who has some good stuff most of the time. He has a negative take on tiny turbos in general for the reason I stated and it makes sense. I'll take the naturally aspirated larger engine and enjoy it for a longer time.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
480 Posts
I'm not a fan of Kilmer but I do have similar concerns about small turbos. They have to run richer under boost and aren't very hot weather friendly. I'd be more interested in a Toyota type hybrid setup in a Crosstrek to give it more oomph, but of course that's unlikely. If the RAV4 prime had better AWD and capability, I'd lust after it more.

But I'm also satisfied with the 2.0 and CVT.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,470 Posts
I'm not a fan of Kilmer but I do have similar concerns about small turbos. They have to run richer under boost and aren't very hot weather friendly. I'd be more interested in a Toyota type hybrid setup in a Crosstrek to give it more oomph, but of course that's unlikely. If the RAV4 prime had better AWD and capability, I'd lust after it more.

But I'm also satisfied with the 2.0 and CVT.
Yeah, I can't wait to see the breakdown of 2.5l versus 2.0l for the '21s. There sure seem to be a lot of people posting here about the Sport but I suspect there are lots of people who aren't car enthusiasts buying the 2.0l who are happy with it and not posting on this forum.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,204 Posts
Discussion reminds me of one of the reviews I saw of the Mercedes Metris minivan. Which has a small turbo engine. The review of the engine was.... Not at all good.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
69 Posts
As Okie and Sarang said.. long-term wear & tear could (will?) be an issue. The fuel economy gains could be very well offset by maintenance costs. To each their own, but if someone wants to keep a car 10 years with no issues, I'm quite convinced the FB20 will be more reliable than the first years of the FB15(?)turbo.

The old EJ22 was indestructible. The EJ251 and 253 were quite solid, save for the gaskets . Heck, for all the bad press it got, my 2008 with the EJ253 lasted 11 years and 250 000 km till HGs blew last year. NOTHING else was replaced in the car save for the clutch, brakes, belts, bearings, and some rubber bushings. All wear items, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There sure seem to be a lot of people posting here about the Sport but I suspect there are lots of people who aren't car enthusiasts buying the 2.0l who are happy with it and not posting on this forum.
I AM a car enthusiast and am happy with my '18 2.0L although who isn't thrilled with additional acceleration?. Last month I squirted a can of CRC intake cleaner into the intake and a tankful of gas with the Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. The engine is quite smooth, quiet and quite peppy.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,697 Posts
Yeah, I can't wait to see the breakdown of 2.5l versus 2.0l for the '21s. There sure seem to be a lot of people posting here about the Sport but I suspect there are lots of people who aren't car enthusiasts buying the 2.0l who are happy with it and not posting on this forum.
I doubt Subaru is going to give us a precise breakdown by trim level, but yeah… It would be really interesting. The article below says that Subaru is expecting the 2.5 engine to account for 50% of this model year’s sales:

Anecdotally, I’ve spent a lot of time lately looking at dealer websites, both for my own purchase and while helping a friend look for a new Crosstrek. The 2021 Premium models are getting easy to find, but the Limiteds are in short supply. I’m guessing those are getting purchased as soon as they arrive at dealerships.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
151 Posts
I AM a car enthusiast and am happy with my '18 2.0L although who isn't thrilled with additional acceleration?. Last month I squirted a can of CRC intake cleaner into the intake and a tankful of gas with the Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. The engine is quite smooth, quiet and quite peppy.
I've been wondering something and your post reminded me. I know our Crosstreks take 87 octane but is it advisable to put in a tank of 91 (highest we have here in Arizona) every once in awhile? Will it help with anything or could it possibly hurt?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,485 Posts
I've been wondering something and your post reminded me. I know our Crosstreks take 87 octane but is it advisable to put in a tank of 91 (highest we have here in Arizona) every once in awhile? Will it help with anything or could it possibly hurt?
91 octane won't help, but won't hurt, except your wallet. Most important thing is always to use Top Tier gas, which has cleaning agents which will help keep your injectors clean.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
151 Posts
91 octane won't help, but won't hurt, except your wallet. Most important thing is always to use Top Tier gas, which has cleaning agents which will help keep your injectors clean.
Okay, thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I doubt Subaru is going to give us a precise breakdown by trim level, but yeah… It would be really interesting. The article below says that Subaru is expecting the 2.5 engine to account for 50% of this model year’s sales:

Anecdotally, I’ve spent a lot of time lately looking at dealer websites, both for my own purchase and while helping a friend look for a new Crosstrek. The 2021 Premium models are getting easy to find, but the Limiteds are in short supply. I’m guessing those are getting purchased as soon as they arrive at dealerships.
Last week I decided to test drive a 2021 Sport. I was impressed enough with it to trade in my 2017 WRX. There were many reasons for doing this, but chief among them were ground clearence(moved to northern Idaho and being able to use regular gas again). I had a 14 TOP premium, loved every Thing about it EXCEPT the power. Mine had the CVT. I was thrashing that poor 2.0 with the paddle shifters Just to get SOMETHING out of it. The new Sport with the 2.5 has the power to get out of its own way without over winding the crap out of it. It is no WRX, but it dosen’t have to be. The sport mode gets it up and moving! I’m still under 1,000 miles, so nothing over 4,000 rpm for now, but it is quite satisfying. I will miss the WRX some, but I am happy with the Crosstrek as I was the last time. Not having to worry about blowing up a turbo or engine is worth it.
One funny thing is, I have bought four Subaru’, not one of them was originally delivered to the dealer that I bought it from. So if your dealer dosen’t have what you want, they must be doing dealer trades for 21’s already. That was something that wasn’t done in the 80’s with Honda’s when I sold them.
P.S. I’m on dirt road now, so, black or dark grey dosen’t work any longer, hence my going with a white one.......

Reactions: Phil76 and Cutlass

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One funny thing is, I have bought four Subaru’, not one of them was originally delivered to the dealer that I bought it from.
Same here with all three Subarus that I have purchased in the last ten years and it didn't seem to raise pricing any.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,470 Posts
Same here with all three Subarus that I have purchased in the last ten years and it didn't seem to raise pricing any.
When I was researching the problem we had with ours, the crappy immobilizer that a dealer had installed, it turned out that the dealer we bought it from was the THIRD one, so two dealer trades before we got it.

As for the engine in the '23 I was sure they wouldn't put a bigger engine in for '21 and yet here we are. Maybe there will be an all electric Crosstrek?

·
Registered
162 Posts
As for the engine in the '23 I was sure they wouldn't put a bigger engine in for '21 and yet here we are. Maybe there will be an all electric Crosstrek?
I wasn't expecting the 2.5 either but it made me decide to buy, as to what '23 will bring, who knows? I see they dropped the hybrid model for '21 so maybe Subaru is done with hybrids and '22/'23 will see an electric only model.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts