Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek / 1968 Beetle
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
See, that's the thing. I was told the opposite of that, but this was my initial instinct as well. I have Geico for insurance, and actually called them to "unofficially" report it and ask questions of what to do, and the agent I spoke to told me to contact the at-fault drivers insurance first so it goes against her coverage. They said this would be my best bet to get what's owed to me as far as diminished value since I paid 24k for my trek, and a replacement is now 29k. This would also keep me from having to pay my own deductible and raising my own rates which is a hard pill to swallow when I'm totally innocent in this situation. Again, this is what was told to me from the agent I spoke to.

· Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
402 Posts
See, that's the thing. I was told the opposite of that, but this was my initial instinct as well. I have Geico for insurance, and actually called them to "unofficially" report it and ask questions of what to do, and the agent I spoke to told me to contact the at-fault drivers insurance first so it goes against her coverage. They said this would be my best bet to get what's owed to me as far as diminished value since I paid 24k for my trek, and a replacement is now 29k. This would also keep me from having to pay my own deductible and raising my own rates which is a hard pill to swallow when I'm totally innocent in this situation. Again, this is what was told to me from the agent I spoke to.
Such is our current reality. If you are the faultless victim of property damage/loss, personal injury, assault, theft, or fraud you are pretty much guaranteed to become a victim, twice-over. First by the incident itself; then a second time by the remediation terms and legal processes that will be used to sanction you for daring to be an unwilling, affected party to the incident. There's a term for that ... prosecution by process.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
So, some good news and some frustrating news. Insurance is well underway, but it's a slow process as we all know..

Just when I thought the issue was resolved last week, it suddenly wasn't... The other driver was deemed to be at fault (no surprise there), and the car was considered totaled by her insurance after an appraisal. That was the news I wanted to hear, because I did not want a heavily compromised car back after a collision like that. I don't care how well the repairs would have been completed. On Thursday, her agent called me and told me I could get my wheels and tires off of it, and I was so excited to get my check, and proceed towards purchasing a new Cool Gray Khaki replacement.

Then my excitement ended when her agent called me back to inform me that the other driver's policy only covered up to $25,000 in damage or replacement of the car. Since my car was appraised at just under $29,000 this was obviously an issue. This caused me to have to get my own insurance now involved to cover the full value of the car, and then they will go after the other driver's insurance to subrogate the $25,000. This also meant the entire process of "investigation" and appraisal had to re-start. I am just hoping that my insurance also deems it a total loss, and I can get that check in time for my new Trek's arrival on the 30th of this month...

In the meantime, at least I get to go get my wheels and flaps today after work, and I got a 2019 Limited as a rental! (Trying hard to find silver linings here). As far as the rental is concerned, the Limited headlights are not as great as I expected them to be. Pretty unimpressed with the power of the 2.5 as well. I truly cannot feel a difference between this thing and my old 2.0 in terms of torque or acceleration. Granted, I used to own a nearly 350hp WRX, so these cars all feel slow to an extent in comparison.

Will update when I have something to share. Wish me luck so I can get that Cool Gray trek in the driveway!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
402 Posts
Would your total loss appraise higher if those wheels and mudflaps were still on your wrecked Crosstrek? What "rolling stock" is under it now for the re-appraisal?

May the Pleiades (basis for Subaru's 6-star emblem) shine brightly upon you! ;)

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Would your total loss appraise higher if those wheels and mudflaps were still on your wrecked Crosstrek? What "rolling stock" is under it now for the re-appraisal?

May the Pleiades (basis for Subaru's 6-star emblem) shine brightly upon you! ;)
From what my adjuster told me, likely not. In fact if I didn't claim them in time, I'd lose my shot at them once it's written off, so I couldn't risk that.

I did get to go rescue my wheels yesterday. The flap brackets up front were toast, so I just took the flaps only all around. Hopefully RallyArmor sells mounting kits separately. Additionally, one of my brand new Toyo's is sliced all around the sidewall from being pushed hard back into crinkled metal of the fender/door hinge area. I ordered a replacement and will be getting it mounted this weekend so I can throw the methods on my wife's Forester in the meantime. I plan on turning that receipt into insurance as well.

Otherwise, no updates, but I will keep all posted!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Small but exciting update for everyone:

I found out on Friday that the car has been declared a total loss, and the settlement offer was very fair! They towed the car away on Friday as well, so it's gone for good now.

Luckily their settlement offer will give me a really nice down payment for the new Trek! (Helps make up for the interest rates that have doubled since I bought my 2021) I was also able to get the damaged Toyo replaced, and temporarily threw the Methods on my wife's Forester since she lost her Crosstrek wheels to the totaled car. Her car will receive the new Crosstrek's wheels when it comes in.

Nothing to do now except wait for my check and for my new Cool Grey Khaki baby to come in!

Last picture I took of the car. Feels a little sad and bittersweet knowing it's gone now.

Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Small update:

The entire insurance process is officially over now! I've been paid and am just waiting for my new car to get to the dealer. It is unfortunately running a few days behind their expected arrival date. My salesman said he thinks it should arrive tomorrow (Saturday) so we shall see.

Sidebar: I was almost tempted to cancel my deposit and switch it onto a 2023 desert khaki special edition. I had no idea that color had come back. I thought about it a few days, and the black mirrors and door handles really bothered me, so I decided to stick with the cool gray khaki.

Since I have no Crosstrek photos to currently share, how about a photo of my Bug that I lowered last weekend?
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well I finally have a Crosstrek update!

I got a call from my salesman yesterday afternoon letting me know that my car had come in, so naturally I got there as fast as I could. The process was nice and easy, and I am now the proud owner of a 2023 Cool Gray Khaki premium!

The car made it 1 hour under my ownership before the wheels were swapped out.. :LOL:

When I got to the dealer, they had it prepped and sitting out front!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

As of this morning, this is the only picture I've taken, but I am loving it! I think the crossbars and Methods really complete the look. Now I need to get my Rallyarmors on there and tint my fog lights.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Took a non-driveway picture yesterday afternoon. I LOVE this color! I ordered new headlight bulbs, yellow led fogs, yellow vinyl for the fogs, and new flaps. I'm quickly trying to get the car back to exactly how my 21 was when it was slain.. :LOL:

Fun side fact: The 2021 TPMS sensors work on the 23! I assumed I'd have to get them re-programmed but nope. Put my Methods on the car, and the sensors immediately worked and are reading properly. Too cool!

Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Not the world's most exciting update, but I was able to get a new hardware kit from Rally Armor so I could install my old flaps on the new car. I also installed some yellow lamin-x on my fogs, and upgraded all front lights with what I was running before (led low, yellow Hella high/DRL, yellow LED fogs)

Also took some time and ceramic coated the car so the new paint was protected from the incoming road salt and winter harshness. Loving this car!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Tire Vehicle Wheel Grille Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

41 - 52 of 52 Posts