Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not sure how many folks here have a 2021 (they juuust came out). We love our plasma yellow sport, it has a sunroof. And that seems to be the issue. There is a low whistling noise at speed. It is increased when we open the sunroof, and decreases when the sunroof is closed fully. However, the whistling sound persists even when the sunroof is fully closed. We are going to take it into the dealership to have it looked at. But being an avid auto cross and race enthusiast, I figured I would ask this for him since some people may know already the issue. Perhaps it is well-established? I did find two body plugs that were sitting in a a
There is a low whistling noise at speed. It is increased when we open the sunroof, and decreases when the sunroof is closed fully. However, the whistling sound persists even when the sunroof is fully closed. We are going to take it into the dealership to have it looked at. But being an avid autocross and race enthusiast, I figured I would ask this forum, since someone may know already the issue. Perhaps it is well-established?
I did find two body plugs that were sitting in A little baggie on top of the spare tire. I installed those body plugs. They both went on the frame just in front of the rear tires. That did not affect the noise at all. Thanks for your help!

I might add the whistle does get louder with speed. It came with cross bars, and I think these are on correctly (dealer installed, but not fool proof...) the front one dips down toward the front of the car, the rear crossbar dips toward the rear of the car (from side view)

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
153 Posts
The bar(s) could be installed backwards, I know the ones on my 2020 model are somewhat tear drop shaped and I have read a few post of people having a similar sound that you are describing and at least one of the bars was backwards. I am assuming the ones that come with the 2021 are the same ones as the 18-20.

Here is a link to the instructions, it has an image of the orientation for front to rear. Might be able to use that to check real quick.

I am also assuming you have the aero ones and not the aero extended ones.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
@Crosstrek Guy

Yes, I installed the crossbars on my 2017 crosstrek so I’m familiar with the way they should look. And I do believe they are the right direction, but I honestly have not paid that much attention since we got the car, simply because I have been swamped with work

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
114 Posts
I might add the whistle does get louder with speed. It came with cross bars, and I think these are on correctly (dealer installed, but not fool proof...) the front one dips down toward the front of the car, the rear crossbar dips toward the rear of the car (from side view)
The OEM aero bars on my 20 are extremely quiet. The thick part on both the front and rear cross bars face forward and thin part is the trailing edge. Your front bar is installed backwards.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome to read it was a simple fix.

I would not make it a big deal, even a light hearted conversation but would let the dealership know.
Yeah I’m not that type. I myself got them on backwards when I installed on my 2017. What I’m more ticked about is the 8” scratch I JUUUUST noticed below the passengers mirror!!!11!12!!!!!
Wife swears it wasn’t her, but she did go to Safeway today. It’s just paint.... Its just paint.... it’s just paint.....

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek (Pure Red)
1 Posts
The bar(s) could be installed backwards, I know the ones on my 2020 model are somewhat tear drop shaped and I have read a few post of people having a similar sound that you are describing and at least one of the bars was backwards. I am assuming the ones that come with the 2021 are the same ones as the 18-20.

Here is a link to the instructions, it has an image of the orientation for front to rear. Might be able to use that to check real quick.

I am also assuming you have the aero ones and not the aero extended ones.
I just checked my 2021 that I picked up yesterday. It made that whistling noise all the way home! AND... the front bar is backwards!!! The L is on the right and the R is on the left and the fat part is facing the back. Swapped it around and will see if it stops the noise on my way home this afternoon. I sure hope so. I can't take that noise!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue. By Google search, I found this site. I checked my car and noticed that my dealership made the same mistake, L is on the right side and R is on the left side. which result in the whistling. Damn, is there any way or any institution we can make compliant with?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Base
153 Posts
I had the same issue. By Google search, I found this site. I checked my car and noticed that my dealership made the same mistake, L is on the right side and R is on the left side. which result in the whistling. Damn, is there any way or any institution we can make compliant with?
Other than complaining to your dealership, assuming they installed them, you could complain to Subaru of America, I am not sure if those crossbars get installed at port or at the dealerships. You also have to remember that if it was done at a dealership its more than likely some tech who honestly doesn't care since they are stuck on PDI duties, etc...or somebody at port who doesn't really care either or its just an honest mistake since its an easy thing to mess up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts