Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
Again, not going to debate it, just going by what most people are going to do, and also depends on their pets demeanor. If my dog was spastastic and couldnt sit still, jumping onto my lap, or back and forth front and back, yeah i would restrain him. hes not an issue for me, therefore not an issue driving. Is the dog less safe, i dont know. I think the harnesses and accompanying leash arent going to do much for the dog in an accident, other than give massive whiplash and a neck injury. He comes up front sometimes to sit on the heat, normally before i start driving, its not his normal spot. Its not Armageddon in my car.
Most people that have their dog harnessed do it because they cant sit still. I would argue the short seat belt/leash you see in stores is not made for safety of the dog.
Not going to debate it, then you do, LOL!

That's fine, you have your opinions, as do I. Mine is that dogs are safer when restrained, like humans, and where I'm from it's basically the law. Do as you will...

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Let's end the personal comments, please.
Not intending to be personal. The OP is asking how to transport a 65lb dog. I don't think that letting the dog jump back and forth between the back and front seats is good advice, at all, for the safety of the dog or the front seat passengers, in an accident. Depending on the collision, an unrestrained 65lb dog would likely go through the windshield so arguments against a harness are moot at that point...

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,001 Posts
And that statement's already been made multiple times, so we can let it go now ...

·
Registered
2021 Sport
38 Posts
well that escalated quickly and assumptions that i vouched for a dog jumping back and forth regularly are unfounded. Heck i was merely making a funny statement that my old man dog likes seat heat so sometimes he sits in front.. I guess i figured the OP had made the decision it was best for the dog be in the back, and how should i protect the back, and i was focusing on her options for a cover. it seemed thats where the OP was focused right or wrong. I like pet hammocks.
Once again i wonder why i answer questions, because more often than not someone takes one part of an answer and runs away with it.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
You wrote: "However, in my dogs old age he has taken a liking to seat heat so he jumps up front often these days."

My opinion (and the Highway Code, where I'm from) is that animals should be restrained, just like humans. Your comment indicated that it was OK for a dog to not be restrained. I happen to disagree with that, and especially when giving advice on the issue on public forums. If you had an infant or toddler would you let them crawl around inside the car, unrestrained? That's why there are laws for that...

·
Registered
2021 Sport
38 Posts
Ugh. Done. I’m going to go on a ride, tie my dog to the bumper, kid on the roof and cool off. Good luck op. You can message me with any questions for hammock size

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,001 Posts
I’m serious, Astro, let it go. Any further dead horse beating in this thread will be deleted…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is the setup I use. If you look closely you can see the "Backseat Bridge" under the hammock. I also have the tether go over the back seat so it doesn't get wrapped around my labs legs. I keep it adjusted so she can lay down or go from window to window but not jump into the front.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Brown Light Automotive design Luggage and bags Grey

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 65 pound dog. thinking of buying a quilted bucket seat protectors. My dog always sat in front seat. Back seat seems more safe. Any suggestions. What are the dimensions of the back seat only. Not including the cargo area. Thanks Robin
I’m on the road 5 days a week with a large working dog. For his safety he is crated but it means I have no back seats, his crate is large.
My mother had a Newfoundland who took up the entire back seat of her car, he was harnessed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 65 pound dog. thinking of buying a quilted bucket seat protectors. My dog always sat in front seat. Back seat seems more safe. Any suggestions. What are the dimensions of the back seat only. Not including the cargo area. Thanks Robin
We bought this one to use in our 2021 Crosstrek for our 80 dog & he is still growing. It works great. Amazon.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a standard size seat cover from Active Pet on Amazon and it fit my 2021 Crosstrek very well. I have been pleased with the protection and my dog likes it as well. It cleans up nicely and it was $37. I have been pleased with everything I have bought made my Active Pet.
They also have a new one that has a window between the 2 seats. But the one below is what I bought and both Tipper and I are happy!

Dog Back Seat Cover Protector Waterproof Scratchproof Nonslip Hammock for Dogs Backseat Protection Against Dirt and Pet Fur Durable Pets Seat Covers for Cars & SUVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078L2MWR...abc_JK355JSKNBQBSSYRZDVK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

21 - 34 of 34 Posts