Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 pound dog. thinking of buying a quilted bucket seat protectors. My dog always sat in front seat. Back seat seems more safe. Any suggestions. What are the dimensions of the back seat only. Not including the cargo area. Thanks Robin

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,661 Posts
Back is definitely safer. Just go out and measure. The hammock style ones are great. They're pretty universal.
The cargo area is the safest, with a strong gate. In a front end collision, a 60lb unrestrained dog could hit the back of your head (or your passenger's) with the force of several thousands of pounds.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
Rear-end collisions are among the most common, and I've been rear-ended a couple of times over the years. In at least one of those crashes, if I'd had a dog in a rear cargo area he would have absolutely been killed. I would NEVER put a dog in the cargo area of a small SUV like the Crosstrek ... if it crumples even slightly in a wreck, the dog would be toast.

The front seat is not a great spot either, though, both for the dog's safety and because he's going to be a distraction. (And because he'll invariably hit the X-mode switch on his way in or out the door!). Best thing to do is have them in the back seat, ideally in a safety harness that can be buckled into the seat belt system. Back seat covers designed for dogs are pretty easy to come by in standard sizes, and they work on the Crosstrek just fine. The hammock-type cover will help keep dog hair out of the carpet and will make it less likely for small dogs to try to get into the front.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Rear-end collisions are among the most common, and I've been rear-ended a couple of times over the years. In at least one of those crashes, if I'd had a dog in a rear cargo area he would have absolutely been killed. I would NEVER put a dog in the cargo area of a small SUV like the Crosstrek ... if it crumples even slightly in a wreck, the dog would be toast.

The front seat is not a great spot either, though, both for the dog's safety and because he's going to be a distraction. (And because he'll invariably hit the X-mode switch on his way in or out the door!). Best thing to do is have them in the back seat, ideally in a safety harness that can be buckled into the seat belt system. Back seat covers designed for dogs are pretty easy to come by in standard sizes, and they work on the Crosstrek just fine. The hammock-type cover will help keep dog hair out of the carpet and will make it less likely for small dogs to try to get into the front.
All good points. The last time I had a dog, a 105lb Golden Retriever, I also had a Range Rover, and he travelled in the cargo area with a gate across the back seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found that using a "backseat bridge" (available on Amazon) with a pet hammock over it works best for me in my crosstalk; as it did in my 4Runner as well. The backseat bridge eliminates the space between the backseat and front seat backs so your dog has sure footing. By putting a pet hammock over that, it protects the seats at the same time. It might seem a bit redundant but by using this method along with the door protectors, when I sold my vehicle you couldn't tell I ever had a dog in it. I also kept my Lab in a harness tethered to the child seat anchor point in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
40 Posts
backseat, and a pet hammock is hard to beat. Easy to take in and out If you get muddy critters, easy clean is great. If you want a seat belt with harness can be used However, in my dogs old age he has taken a liking to seat heat so he jumps up front often these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backseat, and a pet hammock is hard to beat. Easy to take in and out If you get muddy critters, easy clean is great. If you want a seat belt with harness can be used However, in my dogs old age he has taken a liking to seat heat so he jumps up front often these days.
thank you. I love hearing everyones feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question regarding a hammock for my back seat for my dog.. I have a 2021 Crosstrek.Sport model. If anyone is using one of those hammocks in their Subaru,..what size? I called a company who makes the hammocks, and they said I should get an extra large. But a Crosstrek isn't that big of a car. So I need your guys opinions. thanks Robin

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Yeah but that's dangerous, could even be fatal, for the dog or you in a front end collision. Dogs, just like people, should be properly restrained in moving vehicles.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Adding a hammock has absolutely nothing to do with that; pet seat covers and hammocks are designed with cutouts at the seat belt anchor locations, so the pet (or human) can still be safely restrained. This is an important subject, and the posts here need to be informed ones.

As I've said, it's definitely good to keep one's pet harnessed to the seat belt system while in the car, mostly because an unbuckled pet (like an unbuckled human) is fairly likely to be ejected from a car during a rollover-type accident. That's a much more realistic worry than a pet injuring a human in a crash. Any untethered object - even a small one in the hatch area - has the potential to cause injury, and I'm guessing all of us have objects like that in the car at times.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Another question regarding a hammock for my back seat for my dog.. I have a 2021 Crosstrek.Sport model. If anyone is using one of those hammocks in their Subaru,..what size? I called a company who makes the hammocks, and they said I should get an extra large. But a Crosstrek isn't that big of a car. So I need your guys opinions. thanks Robin
The back seat of our Crosstreks is about 53" wide ... you can compare that against the dimensions the manufacturer lists. I think it's pretty likely that an extra large is probably a bigger size than you need. (A lot of those products are only offered in a single size, but of course if you have to choose among sizes you're better off getting one that's a little too big.)

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Adding a hammock has absolutely nothing to do with that; pet seat covers and hammocks are designed with cutouts at the seat belt anchor locations, so the pet (or human) can still be safely restrained. This is an important subject, and the posts here need to be informed ones.

As I've said, it's definitely good to keep one's pet harnessed to the seat belt system while in the car, mostly because an unbuckled pet (like an unbuckled human) is fairly likely to be ejected from a car during a rollover-type accident. That's a much more realistic worry than a pet injuring a human in a crash. Any untethered object - even a small one in the hatch area - has the potential to cause injury, and I'm guessing all of us have objects like that in the car at times.
I wasn't referring to the hammock, I was referring to the comment that the dog is free to jump into the front, so clearly not restrained...

·
Registered
2021 Sport
40 Posts
im not going to debate that its safer to have the dog in the back and harnessed. it is what it is at this point with my pup. Hes usually in the back, not buckled.

As Montanan said, most hammocks have cutouts for belts if you want, and some come with zippers so the seats can split. Some have cutouts for between the front seats, or some have a high area to TRY and keep the dogs in the back.

We use a ruffwear brand in our 21 sport. Has protectors for side of bench seat as well.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
im not going to debate that its safer to have the dog in the back and harnessed. it is what it is at this point with my pup. Hes usually in the back, not buckled.

As Montanan said, most hammocks have cutouts for belts if you want, and some come with zippers so the seats can split. Some have cutouts for between the front seats, or some have a high area to TRY and keep the dogs in the back.

We use a ruffwear brand in our 21 sport. Has protectors for side of bench seat as well.
I'm originally from the UK. Here's the law over there. It may vary here by state but I'm guessing you could still be sued if a dog caused an accident. I was thinking more of the safety of the dog and front seat passengers but there's this liability aspect, too:

Personally, I just think it's irresponsible to not restrain a dog, and endanger the dog, the passengers and other road users...

·
Registered
2021 Sport
40 Posts
Again, not going to debate it, just going by what most people are going to do, and also depends on their pets demeanor. If my dog was spastastic and couldnt sit still, jumping onto my lap, or back and forth front and back, yeah i would restrain him. hes not an issue for me, therefore not an issue driving. Is the dog less safe, i dont know. I think the harnesses and accompanying leash arent going to do much for the dog in an accident, other than give massive whiplash and a neck injury. He comes up front sometimes to sit on the heat, normally before i start driving, its not his normal spot. Its not Armageddon in my car.
Most people that have their dog harnessed do it because they cant sit still. I would argue the short seat belt/leash you see in stores is not made for safety of the dog.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I used to know a guy -- a local fireman, actually, who fancied himself as being pretty tough -- who'd always drive around town in his big ol' pickup truck with his wife's Shih Tzu on his lap, the dog's head out the window. That sort of behavior is definitely worth shaming, but in general I'd say that most canine passengers are way less distracting than most human ones are ... and way, way less distracting than electronic gadgets are, even when they're in hands-free mode.

Mine can be hyper when they know I'm taking them for a hike, but otherwise they're pretty much always just curled up on the back seat, snoozing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts