·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
610 Posts
With the new 2.5-liter four, you get more power and similar fuel economy.

yep.
With the new 2.5-liter four, you get more power and similar fuel economy.

underpowered cars like the current crosstrek are working at higher rpms a lot which isn't good for gas mileage or engine longevity.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Remember previously crosstrek was equipped with 1.6 petrol engine, it was underpowered. For 2l engine, it slightly underpowered due to ecu tuning, and it use 18 inch wheel in upper version. The 2.5l gas engine may make crosstrek more sporty, but 2l should be ok as long as the ecu and cvt tuning allow more aggressive tuning, which somehow they didnt do due to fuel economy and also perhaps cvt reliability reason. So for 2.5 the interesting part to see if the cvt is the same with current crosstrek or adopt the bigger cvt used on forester xt before, this may be the clue why the current crosstrek is not sporty that can be really due to current cvt can not handle bigger torque.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
yep.
underpowered cars like the current crosstrek are working at higher rpms a lot which isn't good for gas mileage or engine longevity.
In normal driving the rpms are no different than my XT Forester. The FB20 has a higher stroke to bore ratio than the FB25 so it makes a higher percentage of torque at lower rpms than the FB25.

·
Registered
610 Posts
In normal driving the rpms are no different than my XT Forester. The FB20 has a higher stroke to bore ratio than the FB25 so it makes a higher percentage of torque at lower rpms than the FB25.
I don't even know what that means but I have been driving 50 years and I know the crosstrek is slightly underpowered and I have to floor it often to get sufficient power to say merge or pass. when I do the car revs to over 6k rpm and sounds like it's gonna blow up! so i'm not sure what you call normal driving.

I prefer vehicles that have more power than what is required for "normal driving".

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I don't even know what that means but I have been driving 50 years and I know the crosstrek is slightly underpowered and I have to floor it often to get sufficient power to say merge or pass. when I do the car revs to over 6k rpm and sounds like it's gonna blow up! so i'm not sure what you call normal driving.

I prefer vehicles that have more power than what is required for "normal driving".
Well I'm 74 and have put on a few miles. You have to just use more of the accelerator pedal in the Crosstrek that's it plain and simple. A couple times a week I intentionally let it bounce of of the red line. Mine sounds great at that rpm. It should not rev over 6K...mine shifts just a tad below 6Krpm. I really do not see it under powered (and bear in mind I own an XT)....but thats just me. Others like you will disagree..I understand where you are coming from.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,186 Posts
This is interesting and may be why my 2020 2.0L Crosstrek feels at least as punchy if not more so than my 2009 2.5L Outback did. No complaints here about the 2.0L Crosstrek power.
I think Subaru did a very good job of matching and tuning the CVT to the engine. Mine is very smooth and surprisingly peppy, too, and no complaints at all about power. Drove it up to some pretty high altitudes in the Sierras on my trip, and it handled it like a champ. And then down deep into Death Valley. Only complaint there was the brakes fading, and had to use more engine braking.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Mine is an MT. Maybe that's another reason I have no complaints about power?
MT is fine as long as you know how to drive it (shift when needed). Some lug it too much in the higher gears and then complain about power.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
236 Posts
MT is fine as long as you know how to drive it (shift when needed). Some lug it too much in the higher gears and then complain about power.
I never lug, I'm more of a revver. Lugging is terrible for an engine and I hate that low pitched moaning an engine makes when lugging. If you punch the accelerator and your speed isn't increasing, you're lugging.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I never lug, I'm more of a revver. Lugging is terrible for an engine and I hate that low pitched moaning an engine makes when lugging. If you punch the accelerator and your speed isn't increasing, you're lugging.
Yup, with a manual you need to know your max torque rpm, and use it for moderate power demands. And max rpm for max power,... rarely needed.

The CVT does a very good job utilizing the best rpm for the power demand at any given time. And it does it very quickly and smoothly. But I do like how quiet it is at 80 mpg, running effortlessly at 2400 rpm. I think that is how it achieves better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
236 Posts
Yup, with a manual you need to know your max torque rpm, and use it for moderate power demands. And max rpm for max power,... rarely needed.

The CVT does a very good job utilizing the best rpm for the power demand at any given time. And it does it very quickly and smoothly. But I do like how quiet it is at 80 mpg, running effortlessly at 2400 rpm. I think that is how it achieves better gas mileage.
2400rpm at 80mph is quite low, but I presume that rises even on very slight upgrades. In 6th gear at 75mph I'm running below 3000rpm which I think is pretty good for such a small engine. Where the CVT's shine is that they are capable of getting the engine rpm's at exactly the right point all the time rather than having to compromise for any particular gear.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pay attention to how the cruise control pushes the acceleration when I have it on and try to match it when I am driving it without ACC on. I always think the computer is tuned for best acceleration and mpg. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
368 Posts
Most of my driving in urban areas. To date a bit less than 25.5 mpg for 20,000 miles (measured by actual fuel put into tank). The Subaru has mileage has been noticeably less than epa rating of 27 mpg urban. My Corolla, for whatever reasons, used almost exactly the mpg the epa estimated over 120,000 miles of the same driving. My only Subaru but I would expect less mileage than epa stated numbers. Does anyone know if the new engine uses similar GDI fuel delivery system to the 2.0 L engine?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.