Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,282 Posts
28,500. Got it December of 2016. I joined this list a few months before to hear all ins and outs and was the first on the list to order a 2017. I wanted to get exactly what I wanted. And I did.

Reactions: Ajwmoore95

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
28,500. Got it December of 2016. I joined this list a few months before to hear all ins and outs and was the first on the list to order a 2017. I wanted to get exactly what I wanted. And I did.
Good on you! That’s not many miles at all! I got mine two years ago and already have 96k fur to a lot of transition jobs. Do you think it would be wise to trade for the 2021 now? Or stick it out with the 2017?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,282 Posts
I would stick with the '17. Very reliable and then if you really want a new one, wait for the next gen, most likely '23.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I would stick with the '17. Very reliable and then if you really want a new one, wait for the next gen, most likely '23.
That’s sound advice. Thank you. I just hope the transmission stays healthy on me. Don’t knowwhat mileage XV transmissions are known to go at

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
It makes me wonder, what could the next gen of crosstrek possibly look like or add? The second gen was such a great update aesthetically, and even more so now with the ‘21, and now the trek has a 2.5 engine, that it’s hard to think what they could come up with next. Maybe it’s just me, but thinking about what the third gen of crosstrek will look like keeps me up at night sometimes lol

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,885 Posts
It makes me wonder, what could the next gen of crosstrek possibly look like or add? The second gen was such a great update aesthetically, and even more so now with the ‘21, and now the trek has a 2.5 engine, that it’s hard to think what they could come up with next. Maybe it’s just me, but thinking about what the third gen of crosstrek will look like keeps me up at night sometimes lol
BEV...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Battery electric vehicle?

This might sound a little extreme, I don’t know if I’d go for one. I like being prepared, and if an EMP was shot over our skies I don’t know if a BEV would be the best. Then again, there are so many things ran by computers in cars now that any vehicle that’s even not BEV may not work.

is this a guess of yours, or do you have some reliable source?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Battery electric vehicle?

This might sound a little extreme, I don’t know if I’d go for one. I like being prepared, and if an EMP was shot over our skies I don’t know if a BEV would be the best. Then again, there are so many things ran by computers in cars now that any vehicle that’s even not BEV may not work.

is this a guess of yours, or do you have some reliable source?
There have been a few industry articles about Subaru working with Toyota to create a fully electric SUV but I haven't seen one yet that specifically mentions the Crosstrek. However, they do want to eventually go fully electric on their entire lineup:

If an EMP was shot over our skies I think we'd have more to worry about than Android Auto or CarPlay not working... 😸

·
Registered
28 Posts
I keep seeing “next gen will come out in 2023” but I just don’t see that happening with the advent of the global platform in 2018 for the crosstrek. Maybe a mid cycle refresh but I don’t see a new design coming on a new platform until at least 2025-2026. Manufacturers keep their platforms longer and longer, and I believe this will especially be true of the Subaru global platform as it’s designed to accommodate ICE,HEV, PHEV and BEV powertrains (therefore future proof without the need to redesign when these powertrains are introduced to market).

Also, all of Subaru’s vehicles (except the BRZ) will be based off the SGP when the WRX/STI are finally remodelled, so coming up with a new platform will mean changing the ENTIRE lineup once again. The cost to develop a platform like the SGB being in the billions of $, and with economic uncertainty such as we’ve never seen in our generation on the horizon, I’d be very surprised if Subaru spent another couple of billions developing a brand new platform just 5-6 years after the first SGB car came to market. Especially considering that they’re still transitioning models to the SGP in 2020 (outback) and will do so in the next couple years with WRX/STI.

Long post, but I just don’t see that happening. The Crosstrek will be in its current form until at least 2025-2026 save for mild updates here and there (mid cycle refreshes). Maybe an STI version? :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
There have been a few industry articles about Subaru working with Toyota to create a fully electric SUV but I haven't seen one yet that specifically mentions the Crosstrek. However, they do want to eventually go fully electric on their entire lineup:

If an EMP was shot over our skies I think we'd have more to worry about than Android Auto or CarPlay not working... 😸
True. Very true

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

I wonder if this will be something close to what the next gen XV will look like

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
That looks cool! Great approach angle, too...😸

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I keep seeing “next gen will come out in 2023” but I just don’t see that happening with the advent of the global platform in 2018 for the crosstrek. Maybe a mid cycle refresh but I don’t see a new design coming on a new platform until at least 2025-2026. Manufacturers keep their platforms longer and longer, and I believe this will especially be true of the Subaru global platform as it’s designed to accommodate ICE,HEV, PHEV and BEV powertrains (therefore future proof without the need to redesign when these powertrains are introduced to market).

Also, all of Subaru’s vehicles (except the BRZ) will be based off the SGP when the WRX/STI are finally remodelled, so coming up with a new platform will mean changing the ENTIRE lineup once again. The cost to develop a platform like the SGB being in the billions of $, and with economic uncertainty such as we’ve never seen in our generation on the horizon, I’d be very surprised if Subaru spent another couple of billions developing a brand new platform just 5-6 years after the first SGB car came to market. Especially considering that they’re still transitioning models to the SGP in 2020 (outback) and will do so in the next couple years with WRX/STI.

Long post, but I just don’t see that happening. The Crosstrek will be in its current form until at least 2025-2026 save for mild updates here and there (mid cycle refreshes). Maybe an STI version? :)
Lots of good points there. Perhaps those mid cycle refreshes would be worth the wait, though it’s hard telling what could be added except perhaps more black cladding. Hoping the XV will get the rugged textured black cladding the outback has below the doors

·
Registered
136 Posts
Subaru global platform as it’s designed to accommodate ICE,HEV, PHEV and BEV powertrains
I find this difficult to believe after seeing how awkward it was for Subaru to fit the battery in the 2020 PHEV Crosstrek. If it was designed for this why did they have to raise the trunk floor to accommodate the hybrid battery? What will they do for a full BEV, eliminate the trunk space? Lol!

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
999 Posts
I find this difficult to believe after seeing how awkward it was for Subaru to fit the battery in the 2020 PHEV Crosstrek. If it was designed for this why did they have to raise the trunk floor to accommodate the hybrid battery? What will they do for a full BEV, eliminate the trunk space? Lol!
What's the alternative, leave a big empty chasm below the trunk floor, and a smaller trunk, because it's not a PHEV?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Eliminate the engine, transmission, gas tank... 😸

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eliminate the engine, transmission, gas tank... 😸
PHEV really is the least space efficient configuration!

The platform can also probably accommodate PHEV/BEV setup more practically in larger vehicles. The impreza/crosstrek are the smallest vehicles built on the architecture so more likely to have a "compromised" implementation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hard to believe, I know lol

I considered the PHEV for about 34 seconds, then I saw the trunk! (n)

101 - 120 of 126 Posts