Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021. What do you guys think?
I like the rugged front cladding.
Not a huge fan of the grill to be honest, looks smaller and the design is not as cool as the 2018-20. Grill certainly followed after the Imprezas refresh

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,304 Posts
Finally something official from Subaru. The yellow looks better here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm on the fence as to whether it's better or worse. I don't like that the center bar of the grill has moved upwards - that top opening is so small now it looks very unbalanced. Also not sure if like way the doors have two creases creating a triangle shaped depression. And the lower cladding on the sport model, where the two pieces come together, looks like it could be a real PITA to keep clean - looks like there's a channel there caused by overlapping pieces that would catch and hold dead bugs, but that could just be the camera angle making it look that way.

It's not that it's a bad looking car - just not sure I like it better than the current model. One of the things that I like about the Subies is that they're fairly simple and straightforward, and this is a little too busy. Current trend for Japanese auto makers is to go overboard on the styling cues (I'm looking at you, Honda Civic). To paraphrase one of the 'real' Top Gear hosts, it looks like the designer forgot to put the pencil down and stop designing.

(And I admit I get too into the details of design - drove my ex wife absolutely crazy pointing things like this out to her while on the road).

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
99 Posts
On face value I like it ... with that said I just leased my 2020 and if at lease end Subie offers the Crosstrek in a 6 sp standard I will get a new 2023 if not....If a manual is not offered I will either buy my lease out or even cross shop to another brand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you read about the seats? I have no idea if that’s going to more cloth or leather
I'm on the fence as to whether it's better or worse. I don't like that the center bar of the grill has moved upwards - that top opening is so small now it looks very unbalanced. Also not sure if like way the doors have two creases creating a triangle shaped depression. And the lower cladding on the sport model, where the two pieces come together, looks like it could be a real PITA to keep clean - looks like there's a channel there caused by overlapping pieces that would catch and hold dead bugs, but that could just be the camera angle making it look that way.

It's not that it's a bad looking car - just not sure I like it better than the current model. One of the things that I like about the Subies is that they're fairly simple and straightforward, and this is a little too busy. Current trend for Japanese auto makers is to go overboard on the styling cues (I'm looking at you, Honda Civic). To paraphrase one of the 'real' Top Gear hosts, it looks like the designer forgot to put the pencil down and stop designing.

(And I admit I get too into the details of design - drove my ex wife absolutely crazy pointing things like this out to her while on the road).
JK.Crosstrek I couldn’t have said it better myself. I have a slight case of ocd and tend to get nick picky with details too. Just because of the way the grill looks, unbalanced like you said, I may just trade my 17 for a 20 instead. I really like the balanced hex shapes on the 20 grill. Also the 21 looks like the front drops down at a slant slightly. I liked how the 18-20 face drops top to bottom. Gives it more of an edge. Not hating on the 21 though. What you said about sums it up in my mind

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,446 Posts
I know the Forester has a better approach angle than the Crosstrek, and this new one looks similar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also not sure if like way the doors have two creases creating a triangle shaped depression.
Shows how quick to judge I am.....this is unchanged from the 2020 sitting in my garage. I'll blame it on the yellow making it look uglier than my lovely lovely orange :geek:

I stand by my other points, tho....

·
Registered
2020 Pure Red Crosstrek 6-spd, 2019 DGM Crosstrek 6-spd
229 Posts
I love my 2019-2020 Premium wheels. Not crazy about the Limited. These look busier, but there isn't a decent still shot to judge accurately.

At least the fogs will be easier to wipe clean.....

Jake

Just saw a still shot in the Subaru media center - what were they thinking?

·
Registered
2020 Pure Red Crosstrek 6-spd, 2019 DGM Crosstrek 6-spd
229 Posts
I guess the gold one is a Sport model, the blue is Limited:

I'll stick with mine.

Jake

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of either of those wheels at first glance, though the Sport ones might look good in all-black. The other ones look like they have a repeating R on the rim, again just seems too busy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like the wheels, I like the plasma yellow, I like it all, but I still don't see enough reasons to trade my 2015 in for a new one. I love mine and it does everything I need it to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the wheels, I like the plasma yellow, I like it all, but I still don't see enough reasons to trade my 2015 in for a new one. I love mine and it does everything I need it to.
That’s a good and responsible thought process. How many miles you have on yours? I have a 17 but already have 91k on her. Don’t know if it would be smarter to trade now in case the transmission goes or something. I don’t know

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not feeling most of the updates to be honest. I especially don't like the new grill as much. Overall, I like the look '18-'20 better. I am, however, very happy they finally decided to offer a more potent powerplant.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not feeling most of the updates to be honest. I especially don't like the new grill as much. Overall, I like the look '18-'20 better. I am, however, very happy they finally decided to offer a more potent powerplant.
Yes! I’m not a fan of the new grill either. It kind of looks smaller and more squished together.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts