Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
225 Posts
I don't know why above forum members are talking about putting LED headlights in headlight assemblies that are not designed for them. It is super risky, dangerous and illegal in most jurisdictions I am aware of. It is not about the connection fitting for the bulb and it is all ok. It's simple, the headlight assembly needs to be designed for LED headlights. They blind the other drivers and can cause a serious accident/s. It has to be done right. Not like putting in LED dome or trunk lights. Subaru only has LED headlights in the models equipt with auto leveling for that reason. LEDs last a long time yes, but only as long as the car also remains on the road and is not wrapped around a tree.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know why above forum members are talking about putting LED headlights in headlight assembles that are not designed for them. It is super risky, dangerous and illegal in most jurisdictions I am aware of. It is not about the connection fitting for the bulb and it is all ok. It's simple, the headlight assembly needs to be designed for LED headlights. They blind the other drivers and can cause a serious accident/s. It has to be done right. Not like putting in LED dome or trunk lights. Subaru only has LED headlights in the models equipt with auto leveling for that reason. LEDs last a long time yes, but only as long as the car also remains on the road and is not wrapped around a tree.
This is very accurate. Coming from the Jeep world, where headlight replacement is a fact of life if you drive a lot after dark, you can't expect a replacement LED bulb in the OE reflector to be anything but ineffective.
But, you can't convince people of this, and at least it is a thousand times easier/cheaper to replace a 7" headlight vs the Subaru assembly.
People install aftermarket then say how incredible it is how far down the road the light shines. That is your first indicator they are bad. No matter how bright/white the light, it still has fo shine in the same pattern and distance as OE or the lights are dangerous. But, as with reflectors, no one wants to hear it. They just complain of being high beamed all the time.
As a person who drives at night a LOT, here in NH and Vt where the streetlights are miles away, I fully support 5000k LED as they help a ton to prevent "tired eyes" from yellow Jeep lights, but I fully support doing it right and safe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, you guys convinced me. No LEDs in halogen housings. Does anyone have an LED housing for the 21 Crosstrek that doesn't cost thousands of dollars?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
225 Posts
Ok, you guys convinced me. No LEDs in halogen housings. Does anyone have an LED housing for the 21 Crosstrek that doesn't cost thousands of dollars?

I suspect the LED bulb/housing, which involves auto levelling and auto adjust around corners, is running from the ECU so you might want to confirm it’s a simple plug and play or not. It is the whole motorised unit hooked up to the ECU I believe. And also fog lights are LED and motorised for the same model package too. Might be a bit more complicated than you think. I haven’t pulled it apart but just assuming.

You could always buy a Limited and put the Sports stuff from your donor on that model. Inc 2.5 if applicable. Might be easier. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
LED's last A LONG time.
i'm an electrician. they either do or they don't. i tell people to buy regular light fixtures with medium base socket and use a screw-in LED bulb. name brand screw-in bulbs are actually more reliable that fixtures with built in LED bulbs and if a screw-in bulb goes bad you replace it rather than the whole fixture

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts

The housings are about $800/side. As far as I understand it isn't plug and play in models other than the Limited. BTW - LED headlights were one of the reason I got a limited.

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
404 Posts
can’t answer on the different housings but another option that would be cheaper is replacing the factory “fogs” with something like the Diode Dynamics SS3 pods or Baja Designs Squadron.

I have the SS3s (I went with the sport fogs in yellow) & like them. they have several different light patterns fog, driving, combo, different lumen levels sport, pro, crazy bright & choice of color ie. white or yellow. there’s lots of info on their site & plenty of reviews/videos of them on Youtube. something silly like 7 year warranty also. install wasn’t to bad worst part was aiming them. DD usually has some kind of deal every holiday saves you a couple bucks anyway.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
At the end of the day it is a matter of your appetite whether to be fully legal or not. Branded LED bulb on stock housing typically does not created glare but it is still not street legal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I suspect the LED bulb/housing, which involves auto levelling and auto adjust around corners, is running from the ECU so you might want to confirm it’s a simple plug and play or not. It is the whole motorised unit hooked up to the ECU I believe. And also fog lights are LED and motorised for the same model package too. Might be a bit more complicated than you think. I haven’t pulled it apart but just assuming.

You could always buy a Limited and put the Sports stuff from your donor on that model. Inc 2.5 if applicable. Might be easier.
Oh I don't care about all that auto leveling and moving headlights and fogs and whatnot. I just want LEDs lol. I didn't want the limited, didn't want to pay for leather seats that I hate. Guess I'll just have to go with the brightest halogens I can find while still remaining US legal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried replacement LEDs for a 2021 Crosstrek Sport? If so, what kind did you get and how were the results? Did you end up keeping the lights in, and would you buy them again? These are the ones I'm looking at, but I'm open to suggestions.

Stupid *** Subaru didn't bother to put LEDs in all their cars. Who does that in 2021?!

I got mine from a website called diode dynamics. A little pricey but they have a 3 year warranty. The one for my C light burnt out but they just sent me a replacement. I’ve had these lights for over a year now

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
404 Posts
⬆ I have the DD lows & highs as well but I believe they have stopped selling them since they are now not street legal or never were or since they,them,the feds,lawyers or who ever decided whatever they decided?

they sent me a “recall notification” stating such & they would pay for my choice of halogens if I removed them. I chose not take them up on that sweet offer…

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Oh I don't care about all that auto leveling and moving headlights and fogs and whatnot. I just want LEDs lol. I didn't want the limited, didn't want to pay for leather seats that I hate. Guess I'll just have to go with the brightest halogens I can find while still remaining US legal

this is what i use

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts
I know I'll get flamed for this. Buy a pair of H11 LEDs. Mount them in the reflector housings vertically. Mount one at a time.
shine them on a wall from 20 to 30 feet. Make sure the height is the same. Drive at night, making sure the lows don't enter other cars windows. They should not interfere with other drivers ability to see. Post a video after they're properly adjusted. Good luck.

Reactions: FLCrosstrekker

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know I'll get flamed for this. Buy a pair of H11 LEDs. Mount them in the reflector housings vertically. Mount one at a time.
shine them on a wall from 20 to 30 feet. Make sure the height is the same. Drive at night, making sure the lows don't enter other cars windows. They should not interfere with other drivers ability to see. Post a video after they're properly adjusted. Good luck.
Intersting results. Very defined cut off, certainly not blinding inappropriately. I wonder if that is because they are projector housings on that Honda. I haven't looked at my wife's Sport, are the newer Subaru's halogen projector?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Intersting results. Very defined cut off, certainly not blinding inappropriately. I wonder if that is because they are projector housings on that Honda. I haven't looked at my wife's Sport, are the newer Subaru's halogen projector?

It is the bulb design of the chip placement defines this, this is the reason why I usually stick with reputable brand. Even on my H4 halogen non=projector casing, the Philips H4 led upgrade produce sharp distinct cut off that does not blinds other car windows.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts