Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried replacement LEDs for a 2021 Crosstrek Sport? If so, what kind did you get and how were the results? Did you end up keeping the lights in, and would you buy them again? These are the ones I'm looking at, but I'm open to suggestions.

Stupid *** Subaru didn't bother to put LEDs in all their cars. Who does that in 2021?!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Stupid *** Subaru didn't bother to put LEDs in all their cars. Who does that in 2021?!

Pretty much every manufacturer does it based on trim. Lower models typically do not get LEDs due to cost.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Base price is also an extra $2500 over the Crosstrek. I don't want the LEDs. When you are out of warranty and one fails, it's huge bucks to fix. Drove in the dark with years on the Crosstrek Halogens without any issues. As mentioned elsewhere on here, the newer cars with the big screen need to be turned down a little so it doesn't blind you at night.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Has anyone tried replacement LEDs for a 2021 Crosstrek Sport? If so, what kind did you get and how were the results? Did you end up keeping the lights in, and would you buy them again? These are the ones I'm looking at, but I'm open to suggestions.

The housing for LEDs and haligan are different because of the optics. Putting LED bulbs in a housing made for haligans never work correctly and are also illegal

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
210 Posts
The housing for LEDs and haligan are different because of the optics. Putting LED bulbs in a housing made for haligans never work correctly and are also illegal
Further to the posts from @sheldon and @Montanan, most OEM LEDs setups have the ability to auto level out based on the angle of the car due to load. So that they do not blind the other drivers.

This is from the 2021 Crosstrek/XV manual 3-76:

The LED headlights produce more light than conventional halogen headlights. When the vehicle is carrying a heavy load and the headlight beams are angled upwards, the driver of an oncoming vehicle may experience glare. To prevent this, the automatic headlight beam leveler adusts the headlights to the optimum height automatically depending on the load the vehicle is carrying.

If you go and put aftermarket LEDs headlight bulbs in the halogen housing and do not have the auto leveler (in the higher spec models) well do I really need to say what might happen if you blind the driver of the car on the other side of the road...

I have seen a few cars where this was done and it is like driving into high beams. Particularly with SUV/work 'trucks' or utes when they are loaded up in the back with heavy work gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Further to the posts from @sheldon and @Montanan, most OEM LEDs setups have the ability to auto level out based on the angle of the car due to load. So that they do not blind the other drivers.

The LED headlights produce more light than conventional halogen headlights. When the vehicle is carrying a heavy load and the headlight beams are angled upwards, the driver of an oncoming vehicle may experience glare. To prevent this, the automatic headlight beam leveler adusts the headlights to the optimum height automatically depending on the load the vehicle is carrying.

If you go and put aftermarket LEDs headlight bulbs in the halogen housing and do not have the auto leveler (in the higher spec models) well do I really need to say what might happen if you blind the driver of the car on the other side of the road...

I have seen a few cars where this was done and it is like driving into high beams. Particularly with SUV/work 'trucks' or utes when they are loaded up in the back with heavy work gear.
I wonder if the Crosstrek Sport has auto leveling headlights... Something to look into I guess

·
Registered
200 Posts

I am pretty sure this an Aussie only party trick.
I have seen other tricks mentioned there that we in US don't have, such as different intensity for high beams, though maybe it is the same thing as adjustable levels.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Interesting. I was completely unaware of this, ty
Sure enough, it's in my wife's manual. Now if only trucks came with this feature. When towimg trailers etc they aim to the sky. Awesome feature, go Subaru

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I was completely unaware of this, ty
Sure enough, it's in my wife's manual. Now if only trucks came with this feature. When towimg trailers etc they aim to the sky. Awesome feature, go Subaru

What trim level does your wife have? I'm getting a Sport and I looked online at a similar car to the one I'm getting (mine should be here 2nd or 3rd week in July) and that one doesn't say it has auto leveling headlights

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
My '18 Limited has headlights that turn slightly into the direction you are turning. Nice as it lights up a bit more of the road that you can't see when making a sharp turn...well I like 'em anyway. They also level out when I'm carrying the kayak or pulling the pop up trailer. Give them a couple years and they will be able to see into the future. I dunno.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,534 Posts
My first gen '17 is old school. The fog light will light up in the direction you are turning when headlights are on. Quirky and very Subaru, but something I still get a kick out of.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What trim level does your wife have? I'm getting a Sport and I looked online at a similar car to the one I'm getting (mine should be here 2nd or 3rd week in July) and that one doesn't say it has auto leveling headlights

No LED available on Sport, Owner's Manual covers all trim levels. Limited is the only one with LED's, not sure of standard (I think) or optional though. I would guess standard if it comes with nifty tricks like that though.

·
Registered
2017 XV Limited. Replaced wimpy lighting with Diode Dynamics inside & out. E-trailer 2” hitch.
13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XV Limited. Replaced wimpy lighting with Diode Dynamics inside & out. E-trailer 2” hitch.
13 Posts
An additional consideration. We put (Diode Dynamics) LEDs on my wife’s 2017 Crosstrek. Plenty bright, but at least on the ‘17, the high beams are also the daytime driving lights. When halogens are in there, they shine at a reduced level. But, the LED brights were always on at full bore during the day. [An even more vexing issue was that the LED low beams were found to trigger (after exactly eight minutes after turning them on!) the TMPS warning light and chime. After numerous trips to the dealer, the chief mechanic finally determined that the LED‘s power supplies for each lamp were generating an EMR field.] About this time came the decree from the NTSB outlawing LED headlamps. I’m satisfied that the low beams are aimed correctly, and we decided that we can put up with the TPMS error message — unless I decide to test a pair of mini Faraday cages. Additionally, the low beams are a nightmare to access, and I like >10,000 hrs of LED life vs. <400 hours with halogens. So, I left the LED low beams in but yanked the LED high beams.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Base price is also an extra $2500 over the Crosstrek. I don't want the LEDs. When you are out of warranty and one fails, it's huge bucks to fix. Drove in the dark with years on the Crosstrek Halogens without any issues. As mentioned elsewhere on here, the newer cars with the big screen need to be turned down a little so it doesn't blind you at night.
LED's last A LONG time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts