2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: StanTheMan

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
171 Posts
Buy what you want, but be aware that out of all Subaru models, this is the least reliable. In fact, Consumer Reports hammered this vehicle on reliability rating.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,536 Posts
Have they fixed them?
Yup, mostly. I still check that forum occasionally. If I was looking for a 7 or 8 seater SUV, it would still be tops on my list.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,875 Posts
For me, there's just something about an Ascent that feels completely antithetical to everything Subaru wants the public to believe it stands for ...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Why, it is just a bigger Subaru, and looks very similar to the smaller ones? I have taken it for a test ride when it first became available, and the interior was very similar to the Crosstrek, just a little roomier in back. It drove similar, although the 2.4 turbo definitely had more oomph... Depends what your needs are, for towing or hauling, esp if you have a family. But the Crosstrek is doing it for me, so need to step up.

When our kids were young, we got a mini van,... because we needed it.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,808 Posts
When our kids were young, we got a mini van,... because we needed it.
I don't think "needed" is the correct word, LOL! I grew up in the UK and somehow we all managed with small cars, usually one per family back then. No SUVs or minivans.

Subaru seems to be responding to a "demand" for big SUVs and didn't do it very well, initially.

Reactions: Montanan

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
337 Posts
I don't think "needed" is the correct word, LOL! I grew up in the UK and somehow we all managed with small cars, usually one per family back then. No SUVs or minivans.
Oh Yeah, needed is exactly the right word. Back in 1991 we needed a stretch mini-van on our regular 700 mile trips to Florida to visit in-laws. With one six and one seven year old plus my wife and me, the four captain's chairs and the bench behind them, along with the luggage space in our Plymouth Grand Voyager let us keep our sanity. So, needed is relative to the usefulness involved. Would it be possible to make a 700 mile trip in a compact car- sure, but how homicidal do you want to be after 15 hours-straight in a tiny car?
The distances involved in the USA vs. UK make a HUGE difference.;)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

Subaru seems to be responding to a "demand" for big SUVs and didn't do it very well, initially.
Well, with our kids, and their friends, the mini van (magic wagon) was very useful. And the back seat (3rd row) was removable, so very handy for cargo, too. It was a very practical vehicle for that time. And Lee Iaccoca saved Chrysler from going under back then with that vehicle. Soon thereafter, all the manufacturers had 7 seaters,... except Subaru, until now.

When I was a kid, we had a station wagon. And guess where the kids would end up... Seat belts weren't mandatory back then.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,808 Posts
Oh Yeah, needed is exactly the right word. Back in 1991 we needed a stretch mini-van on our regular 700 mile trips to Florida to visit in-laws. With one six and one seven year old plus my wife and me, the four captain's chairs and the bench behind them, along with the luggage space in our Plymouth Grand Voyager let us keep our sanity. So, needed is relative to the usefulness involved. Would it be possible to make a 700 mile trip in a compact car- sure, but how homicidal do you want to be after 15 hours-straight in a tiny car?
The distances involved in the USA vs. UK make a HUGE difference.;)
Yep, the distances involved make a difference but you don't "need" to drive to Florida. The car manufacturers made that possible and flogged their wares... 😸

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Yep, the distances involved make a difference but you don't "need" to drive to Florida. The car manufacturers made that possible and flogged their wares... 😸
Yeah, I don't "need" to ever leave my town/city. But what a boring life that would be...

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,875 Posts
Why, it is just a bigger Subaru, and looks very similar to the smaller ones?
Well, from my perspective, I'd say that Subaru's product philosophy is largely based on practicality combined with fun ... at least one of the two, but usually both in varying ratios. The Ascent is neither of those things -- it's just Subaru's attempt to profit from the recognition that a good chunk of the American car market is based on the principle of excess. Most people who claim that they "need" vehicles of that mass honesty don't, and those things will lumber through town mostly empty 98% of the time.

That said, I'm sure those things are high-margin vehicles for Subaru ... so more power to them, I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts