Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am thankful for the blind spot monitoring. My wife was driving home from work late one night on the highway. She was signaling and the beep came on. She didn't see anything but it was enough for her not to move into the other lane.

A second later, a car with their headlights off zooms right past her. If she was in the old Crosstrek, who knows what would have happened.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes. Because I have to share my main route with a lot of heavy (and often speeding trucks) I've developed the habit of driving closer to the verge to give them space. Being able to choose between the LKA and LDW depending on driving conditions and distance is great.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Had the car out on a primitive and super-remote dirt road in Colorado last week, and got a slow-leaking flat tire. In the 2013 I would have just gotten the generic TPMS warning light indication ... but of course the dash display on the 2021 gave both an audible and a text alert along with all the details, and I was able to watch my tire lose pressure in real-time as I searched for a flat area where I could change it. It was definitely useful.

It took another hour of driving after that before I got back in cell range, and when I did I was suprised to discover that Subaru had sent me both a text and an e-mail alerting me that one of my tires was low on air! I couldn't decide if that was cool, or unnecessary, or slightly creepy, or all of the above.

And why does the TPMS system require sensors in all four tires for anything to work?? When I was driving on the doughnut tire, the TPMS readouts from the three remaining "real" tires were unavailable, so if I'd gotten another flat the system wouldn't have let me know ...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
Got that with a screw in L.A.

What are we to do?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It took another hour of driving after that before I got back in cell range, and when I did I was suprised to discover that Subaru had sent me both a text and an e-mail alerting me that one of my tires was low on air! I couldn't decide if that was cool, or unnecessary, or slightly creepy, or all of the above.
D. All of the above

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited in Horizon Blue Pearl
54 Posts
Had the car out on a primitive and super-remote dirt road in Colorado last week, and got a slow-leaking flat tire. In the 2013 I would have just gotten the generic TPMS warning light indication ... but of course the dash display on the 2021 gave both an audible and a text alert along with all the details, and I was able to watch my tire lose pressure in real-time as I searched for a flat area where I could change it. It was definitely useful.

And why does the TPMS system require sensors in all four tires for anything to work?? When I was driving on the doughnut tire, the TPMS readouts from the three remaining "real" tires were unavailable, so if I'd gotten another flat the system wouldn't have let me know ...
I've noticed that the volcanic rock in the San Juans is always more likely to produce a flat than elsewhere in CO. The loops between Silverton, Ouray, and Lake City are especially treacherous for punctures.

·
Administrator
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I haven’t wandered around in the San Juans since I started driving Subarus, but I’d love to get back down there with the Crosstrek.

This happened a little north of Baxter Pass, which is northwest of Grand Junction near the Utah line. Desolate country, but really cool ...

·
Administrator
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
If you follow the various Subaru forums, you've probably heard that sometimes Subaru will send out a random gift to new car buyers. Well, the UPS guy left an unsolicited box from Subaru at my door yesterday, and there was a Dyson rechargeable vacuum inside!

Not a bad score! And there's another box from Subaru out for delivery to me today ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Just joined this forum after getting my Pure Red 2021 Crosstrek limited. I’ve driven Imprezas for the past 6 years, and am very excited to “step up”!
The Pure Red is beautiful - it’s my first non-Black/Silver/Blue car, and I love it. First of it’s kind in my neighborhood. (Plenty of tangerines, and new Cool Greys, but no Reds!)

I agree the car is way smoother than the Impreza. Almost boringly so. Luckily fighting with the lane-centering system keeps me engaged. Ha!
It works well, but I find I drive slightly off-center in the lane (esp if there is oncoming traffic, or someone in the lane next to me, so the system is constantly “fighting” me.

Otherwise I love it!

Question - Cargo Net for $50. Worth it? I’ve never really had a problem with Cargo jumping around in the back...

·
Super-Duper Moderator
876 Posts
Welcome to the forums @Avni,

Net placement right behind the seat? Totally worth it, imo. I find it helpful to keep the spare hoodie, blanket for the minions or a random (adult) beverage from rolling around the cargo area.

C.

·
Administrator
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Yep, welcome!

And yeah, I think it's definitely helpful to have something in the hatch area to keep groceries and stuff from rolling around. I think the net would work great, but I personally use one of those folding cargo organizers:

You can find those online for close to the same price as the cargo net. Totally a matter of personal preference, though ...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
OAK has a series of bags and folding boxes she uses for Costco runs. Didn't help the time she left a Costco-sized bag of chicken thighs in the car for three days, in the sun. The cargo area mat saved the day... 😸

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
614 Posts
Yeah, after the bag exploded, even with a cargo mat, it took a few weeks for the stink to dissipate...
I remember you relaying this story in a post in a different thread here. There is not much, if anything, that reeks more that a rotten, dead chicken after being brought to full stink in a sun baked car.
I'm glad for you that the smell was finally eliminated.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,823 Posts
I remember you relaying this story in a post in a different thread here. There is not much, if anything, that reeks more that a rotten, dead chicken after being brought to full stink in a sun baked car.
I'm glad for you that the smell was finally eliminated.
LOL, thanks! It amazed me how it permeated the interior. The rotten chicken juice was totally contained by the cargo mat that we thoroughly cleaned but it took a while for the stink to go away.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Welcome to the forums @Avni,

Net placement right behind the seat? Totally worth it, imo.
Hi and welcome @Avni Excellent colour choice!
I agree with @HeyChris that the rear seat back nets are totally worth it. Great for keeping the smaller items stowed and out of the way. I couldn't get an XV one in Australia (just the ones that are right up near the tailgate that get in the way). Ended up buying and installing the Forester rear seat back one.

141 - 160 of 181 Posts