Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
141 Posts
And since we’re talking about STI add-ons, I really hope someone with a 2021 splurges on the flexible strut tower brace, and lets us know what they think. 😉
Can’t seem to find one for the 2.5l, only the 2.0l.
Edit: Same one, apparently. On order...

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,118 Posts
I'm on my second AWD vehicle and I always use winter tires here. I'm in a city but still would rather have them than not. It's not so much about getting stuck as it is about stopping when you want to!

P.S. I really like the STI wheels! I agree they look great with the red!

Sure. And if I lived in Canada I would to. But most of southern New England just doesn't get that level of cold or uncleared roads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, that was fast! Very cool. I'm definitely curious to hear what you think.

I imagine you'll need to beat on the car a little to notice a lot of difference ...
I’m pretty impressed with this “flex” brace. Steering feels noticeably sharper and cornering flatter. I didn’t really have to beat on the car to have the new addition put a smile on my face! Paid $313 for it via online Subaru dealership near me. Got the STI shift knob and installed that the day the car came home. Like the full leather knob as compared to the plastic topped leather trimmed that came with the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’m pretty impressed with this “flex” brace. Steering feels noticeably sharper and cornering flatter. I didn’t really have to beat on the car to have the new addition put a smile on my face! Paid $313 for it via online Subaru dealership near me. Got the STI shift knob and installed that the day the car came home. Like the full leather knob as compared to the plastic topped leather trimmed that came with the car.
Did a lot more driving with the brace. I recommend it as a great add. While not a problem needing to be solved, the brace helps cope with the heavier new engine up front. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
1,144 Posts
That red is not orange enough :p

Looks great Montanan! Haven't seen too many red ones but they sure are purty.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
That red is not orange enough :p

Looks great Montanan! Haven't seen too many red ones but they sure are purty.
Agreed! As much as I love this new car, if they ever bring back Tangerine Orange there's a good chance I'll be first in line at the dealership. ;)

And I really like the fact that red is a less-common color. In the end, I'd narrowed my color choices to red and the Cool Gray, but there are already a million of the Cool Gray cars on the road ...

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Quick story from yesterday. I was driving US 89 in north-central Montana ... a long, empty road through the prairies with almost no traffic. I was just enjoying the roadtrip and listening to music -- not thinking about my speed, but just adjusting my driving in response to the sound of the vehicle and the feel of the engine. Based on my years driving the 2013, I would have figured I was doing probably 70 or 75.

When I finally thought to look down at the speedometer, I was shocked to see I was doing 105! And the car wasn't even breathing hard.

Anyway, just thought that was a good illustration of the differences that a bigger engine and 8 years of engineering refinements can make. :)

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Quick story from yesterday. I was driving US 89 in north-central Montana ... a long, empty road through the prairies with almost no traffic. I was just enjoying the roadtrip and listening to music -- not thinking about my speed, but just adjusting my driving in response to the sound of the vehicle and the feel of the engine. Based on my years driving the 2013, I would have figured I was doing probably 70 or 75.

When I finally thought to look down at the speedometer, I was shocked to see I was doing 105! And the car wasn't even breathing hard.

Anyway, just thought that was a good illustration of the differences that a bigger engine and 8 years of engineering refinements can make. :)
105? Yikes! Cruise control has helped me avoid many tickets over the years. :)

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,118 Posts
Just an indicator of just how incredibly visible pumpkin Crosstreks are, I knew this was a 1st gen pumpkin in my rearview even at that distance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did a lot more driving with the brace. I recommend it as a great add. While not a problem needing to be solved, the brace helps cope with the heavier new engine up front. YMMV.
Subaru says the 2020 Limited with 2.0 engine weighs 3263lbs and 2021 Limited with 2.5 engine weighs 3298lbs. The Base and Premium didn't change official weight, so the 35lb increase is likely due primarily to the engine change.

Reactions: Phil76

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on the new red Crosstrek. Saw one(red crosstrek) on my cycle ride up to Canada the other day. It suits the car. The start/stop feature is best designed for city dwellers with loads of traffic. It was difficult changing plugs on our 2018 2.0, can't imagine how they show horned in a 2.5 liter engine.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
192 Posts
Congrats on the new red Crosstrek. Saw one(red crosstrek) on my cycle ride up to Canada the other day. It suits the car. The start/stop feature is best designed for city dwellers with loads of traffic. It was difficult changing plugs on our 2018 2.0, can't imagine how they show horned in a 2.5 liter engine.
The bore in the FB25 is 94mm and the bore in the FB20 is 84mm, but both have the same stroke of 90mm.
I believe that they should be very nearly the same width (with the same stroke), but the FB25 might be a little longer between the radiator and firewall with its larger cylinder bore. Also maybe a little taller because of the bore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also went with the Magnetite Grey on my '21. The only accessory I've added so far is a plate delete to cover the license plate holes on the front. (My state only issues rear plates).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is different than this one, but should give you an idea. It's just a plate to cover the license plate holes on the front.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts