Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,202 Posts
My cop magnet was a graphite Jag XJ-S when I was 19. Probably the way I drove it, LOL!

·
Super Moderator
242 Posts
Well bummer on the demise of your `13...

Congrats on your new purchase. I had a feeling you'd pull the trigger on the 2.5L when it came out. Sadly it was on a shortened timeline. But at least they were in stock!

No pictures of the carnage?

I'm sure your dog will acclimate quickly to the new ride...

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well bummer on the demise of your `13...

Congrats on your new purchase. I had a feeling you'd pull the trigger on the 2.5L when it came out. Sadly it was on a shortened timeline. But at least they were in stock!

No pictures of the carnage?

I'm sure your dog will acclimate quickly to the new ride...
Thanks! And funny thing ... I was just sitting here thinking, "Crap, I hope Chris doesn't read my Forester snark!" 😉

And yeah, I would have been a lot more upset if this had happened a month earlier, because I would have needed to get a 2020, or bought a short-term junker car to hold me over until the 2021s made it out here.

Here's a pic of the carnage, and of the traumatized dog:

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,202 Posts
Holy crap! Any news on the deer?

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Let's just say it was a successful suicide attempt.

Deer collisions are definitely the major source of business for local body shops this time of year -- nearly all the cars at the place I went to were there because of deer damage. (And even though my Crosstrek was totaled, it still could have been worse -- the person who did my estimate told me about another car that was towed in a couple days later, that still had a severed deer head embedded in the vehicle! 😮😮 )

·
Super Moderator
242 Posts
I've been window shopping the `21 with the 2.5L... It's very enticing, but the XT is paid for.

And with the EcoMap @5psi I can achieve 30mpg... lol
My go to map is quite less than that at ~14.5psi

I totally get your reasoning for the Forester.

... I was just sitting here thinking, "Crap, I hope Chris doesn't read my Forester snark!" 😉...
Multiple answer question... Sweet. :geek:

Did it bound away, Bambi style?
Did it cook up nicely?
Is it still drying out to make jerky?
None of the above.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,202 Posts
And the extra horsepower is really nice to have ... more of a difference than I'd thought it would be.
How does the second gen compare to the first. Was there a performance improvement? Just wondering if first gen to the 2.5l is a bigger step up.

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've been window shopping the `21 with the 2.5L... It's very enticing, but the XT is paid for.

And with the EcoMap @5psi I can achieve 30mpg... lol
My go to map is quite less than that at ~14.5psi

I totally get your reasoning for the Forester.

Multiple answer question... Sweet. :geek:

Did it bound away, Bambi style?
Did it cook up nicely?
Is it still drying out to make jerky?
None of the above.
Hey, a 2021 Crosstrek would be a GREAT upgrade for any Forester owner! 😛

Seriously, though, it would be hard for me to give up an XT, especially one from the generation that still had hood scoops. The car world has changed a lot in 8 model years, though ...

As for the deer, I'm pretty sure it's still mouldering in the ditch alongside the road, snack food for the local raptors. At least they're happy.

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
How does the second gen compare to the first. Was there a performance improvement? Just wondering if first gen to the 2.5l is a bigger step up.
Different people will have different opinions on that, for sure, depending both on their expectations and their driving habits. With that disclaimer:

I've driven a couple of second-generation Crosstreks with the 2.0, both CVT and manual, and it was easy to see improvements from the first-gen cars in a couple areas -- the second-gen cabin is quieter, the steering is a little more fun, and the car feels a little more solid, sure-footed, and planted. Both transmission types have improved substantially since 2013 ... the old 5-speed manual really sucked, but the 6-speed is definitely decent. And the tuning on the CVT has markedly improved over the years, making the acceleration feel smoother. None of that, though, was anywhere near enough to make me think that upgrading my 2013 was worthwhile.

At least for me, though, the 2.5 feels like a game-changer. Acceleration is much more responsive and confident, and I no longer feel like I'm abusing the engine when I rev up to pass someone. When I used to pass a slower car on a 2-lane road in the 2013, I was always subconsciously nervous about the sight distance, because I knew it took the 2013 a while to get moving ... and with the 2021 that feeling is now pretty much gone. And less-aggressive maneuvers just feel a whole lot smoother, partly because I don't have to push the engine quite as hard, and partly because the 2.5 feels like it mates really well with the CVT. For me, it's a big-enough change that I'd feel an upgrade was worthwhile, even if my 2013 were still intact.

All that said, though, the Crosstrek will never be a WRX, or anything close to it! But the 2021 is definitely a confident, refined, and fun crossover ... and despite the circumstances, I'm glad for the upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, my beloved 2013 Crosstrek had a high-speed encounter with a suicidal deer on a rural Montana highway a few days ago. It was pretty exciting -- the airbags deployed and everything, and my dog is probably going to need extensive canine psychotherapy. 😏 I just had a few cuts from the airbag deployment, but the Crosstrek suffered far worse -- the left-front quarter of the car was pretty well caved in, and for a 7-year-old vehicle with 145,000 miles, the damage was way more than enough for my insurance carrier to total the thing.

Man, I loved that car.

Anyhow, it was time to start looking for a new vehicle ... and for me, there was no question that it would be a new Crosstrek. I'm still totally impressed with Subaru, and the model is a great fit for my lifestyle. (One of the salesmen I encountered tried to push me into a Forester, and I openly laughed at him. 😉) I did a lot of looking, even driving one of the 6-speed manuals, but pretty quickly decided that getting a 2021 with the 2.5 engine was the only way to go. In a lot of ways, the specs of the new Sport model would have worked well for me, but man -- the yellow interior accents on those cars are hilariously and incredibly ugly. I sat in one for all of ten seconds and knew I could never look at that shade of yellow for a couple hundred thousand miles. So that narrowed my search down to the Limited.

Buying a new Subaru in Montana is a challenge, especially at the beginning of a model year, because most of the dealers are low-volume and the cars are always in demand. My local dealer in Bozeman has never been very impressive, and I can also now report that buyers should avoid Subaru of Missoula like the plague. So I started looking out of state, and ended up getting an easy, fair deal at Parker Subaru in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, of all places.

I strongly prefer that cars have some color to them, so I knew I wanted either the cool gray or the pure red, and in the end the red won out ... it's a great shade of red and is going to be a less-common Crosstrek color, and honestly, the cool gray is actually really just baby blue. (And besides, my sister just bought a cool gray one.) So here it is:

View attachment 301172

I like the bright color quite a bit, though it does darken some in different light, especially when covered in road dust:

View attachment 301173

Anyway, I put 450 miles on the thing in its first two days with me, mostly two-lane mountain driving along with some dirt roads, and my initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive. This car has advanced a lot since 2013!

-- The big thing is the 2.5 liter engine ... it really makes a difference. The car is markedly more responsive on mountain grades and when passing, especially with Sport mode engaged, and it's just a more satisfying driving experience all around. While I was never really unhappy with the 2.0, a few minutes with the 2.5 convinced me that this is the engine the Crosstrek deserved all along. Unless someone's budget is really tight, I would not recommend the 2.0 anymore.

-- Most of the EyeSight features work well, and the adaptive cruise control is excellent. The lane assist features are getting better, but still aren't quite there -- in my testing, the car nearly always recognized the highway centerline, but for some reason didn't do as well identifying the striping on the road shoulder. And the automatic lane centering feature is a little jerky and problematic ... when I first started driving the car, I thought I'd gotten one with a bad front end until I realized it was just the lane centering feature doing its thing.

-- I'm with the 99.9% of Americans who find auto start/stop to be a royal pain in the butt. By my rough calculations, every time the car auto stops it saves me roughly a penny's worth of fuel -- nowhere near close to worth it.

-- The Crosstrek's LED headlights are very good, and the steering responsive headlights are better than the gimmick I thought they were. And as someone who does a lot of rural driving, I am super-happy with the automatic high beams.

-- Others here are more focused on the Head Unit than I am, but I'll just say that I'm bummed that the car no longer recognizes my ancient iPod. I need to find a new way to get my insanely large MP3 collection in the car.

Anyhow, that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts as I keep driving. If this car were Tangerine Orange, though, it would be pretty close to perfect.
We own a 2.0 Crosstrek and a Forester (2.5 motor). I love the 2.5 on the Forester.

Now, on the auto-start-stop, check out www auto stop eliminator .com. I bought their eliminator for the Forester. It may work on your new Crosstrek.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So, my beloved 2013 Crosstrek had a high-speed encounter with a suicidal deer on a rural Montana highway a few days ago. It was pretty exciting -- the airbags deployed and everything, and my dog is probably going to need extensive canine psychotherapy. 😏 I just had a few cuts from the airbag deployment, but the Crosstrek suffered far worse -- the left-front quarter of the car was pretty well caved in, and for a 7-year-old vehicle with 145,000 miles, the damage was way more than enough for my insurance carrier to total the thing.

Man, I loved that car.

Anyhow, it was time to start looking for a new vehicle ... and for me, there was no question that it would be a new Crosstrek. I'm still totally impressed with Subaru, and the model is a great fit for my lifestyle. (One of the salesmen I encountered tried to push me into a Forester, and I openly laughed at him. 😉) I did a lot of looking, even driving one of the 6-speed manuals, but pretty quickly decided that getting a 2021 with the 2.5 engine was the only way to go. In a lot of ways, the specs of the new Sport model would have worked well for me, but man -- the yellow interior accents on those cars are hilariously and incredibly ugly. I sat in one for all of ten seconds and knew I could never look at that shade of yellow for a couple hundred thousand miles. So that narrowed my search down to the Limited.

Buying a new Subaru in Montana is a challenge, especially at the beginning of a model year, because most of the dealers are low-volume and the cars are always in demand. My local dealer in Bozeman has never been very impressive, and I can also now report that buyers should avoid Subaru of Missoula like the plague. So I started looking out of state, and ended up getting an easy, fair deal at Parker Subaru in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, of all places.

I strongly prefer that cars have some color to them, so I knew I wanted either the cool gray or the pure red, and in the end the red won out ... it's a great shade of red and is going to be a less-common Crosstrek color, and honestly, the cool gray is actually really just baby blue. (And besides, my sister just bought a cool gray one.) So here it is:

View attachment 301172

I like the bright color quite a bit, though it does darken some in different light, especially when covered in road dust:

View attachment 301173

Anyway, I put 450 miles on the thing in its first two days with me, mostly two-lane mountain driving along with some dirt roads, and my initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive. This car has advanced a lot since 2013!

-- The big thing is the 2.5 liter engine ... it really makes a difference. The car is markedly more responsive on mountain grades and when passing, especially with Sport mode engaged, and it's just a more satisfying driving experience all around. While I was never really unhappy with the 2.0, a few minutes with the 2.5 convinced me that this is the engine the Crosstrek deserved all along. Unless someone's budget is really tight, I would not recommend the 2.0 anymore.

-- Most of the EyeSight features work well, and the adaptive cruise control is excellent. The lane assist features are getting better, but still aren't quite there -- in my testing, the car nearly always recognized the highway centerline, but for some reason didn't do as well identifying the striping on the road shoulder. And the automatic lane centering feature is a little jerky and problematic ... when I first started driving the car, I thought I'd gotten one with a bad front end until I realized it was just the lane centering feature doing its thing.

-- I'm with the 99.9% of Americans who find auto start/stop to be a royal pain in the butt. By my rough calculations, every time the car auto stops it saves me roughly a penny's worth of fuel -- nowhere near close to worth it.

-- The Crosstrek's LED headlights are very good, and the steering responsive headlights are better than the gimmick I thought they were. And as someone who does a lot of rural driving, I am super-happy with the automatic high beams.

-- Others here are more focused on the Head Unit than I am, but I'll just say that I'm bummed that the car no longer recognizes my ancient iPod. I need to find a new way to get my insanely large MP3 collection in the car.

Anyhow, that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts as I keep driving. If this car were Tangerine Orange, though, it would be pretty close to perfect.
So does the limited and sport come with crossbars included? I see they are on in one pic and off in another pic

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
So does the limited and sport come with crossbars included? I see they are on in one pic and off in another pic
Nope, they’re not standard in any of the Crosstrek trim levels, but they get added to a lot of dealer orders. Easy way to pad the price a little, I suppose.

There’s a decent chance I might actually use the crossbars at some point, but I took them off soon after I took delivery on the car. I was getting a little wind noise from them, and didn’t have time to investigate what that was all about.

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
141 Posts
Nope, they’re not standard in any of the Crosstrek trim levels, but they get added to a lot of dealer orders. Easy way to pad the price a little, I suppose.

There’s a decent chance I might actually use the crossbars at some point, but I took them off soon after I took delivery on the car. I was getting a little wind noise from them, and didn’t have time to investigate what that was all about.
I think they may be standard in the new 2021 Sport, but no other models. I gather this from looking at Window stickers. Had to purchase a set for my 2021 Limited, and that option is noted on the right side of the window sticker, along with all other options. I’ve seen Sport window stickers with crossbars listed on the left side, along with all other standard equipment. Anyone with a Sport care to comment?

·
Registered
380 Posts

they are noisy especially it you have a sun roof. I have a 2016 limited with crossbars and a cargo basket. You can’t really have the sun roof open at any decent speed without some pretty intense noise. I like the look though.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Congrats on the new and sorry to hear about the demise of the old.

That car really does look nice in that pure red although for me, I'd be afraid of it being a cop magnet even though I'm nowhere near as much of a speeder as I used to be.

Get a pair of deer whistles for this one. They're only around $4 a pair. I don't know how well they work, but I figure they can't hurt.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey @NoSlushbox4Me I see you've listed your accessories in your signature. Is the rear seat AC Vent something you've added yourself or something you had the dealership add pre-delivery?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I added it myself. The details are on the Impreza site:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just picked up my pure red 2021 limited with the sport package (STI wheels, spoiler and shift knob). The black STI wheels look great with the red body.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts