Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
121 Posts
Most likely they just loosen and re-torque all bolts to spec while car was resting on its tires (on alignment station). Loose bolts usually cause clanks and clicks though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 Limited, got it home from dealer with 25 miles on it, and it creaked when turning into my driveway (was a straight shot freeway drive home, so no tight turns), It continued creaking with any turning flex, or both tires slowly over a speed bump, and even on breaking some time. It was fairly loud. I Googled the crap out of it. It was NOT spare tire tools or styrofoam. It was NOT hatch struts, latch or any plastic rubbing.

At the dealer, with just 238 miles on the car, two big guys moved the car as the tech checked control arm, bushings, test drive, sway bar bushings, test drive, and finally...... He heard and felt the problem on the right wheel Emergency Brake cable hose. It flexed with suspension and moved inside a metal bracket, causing the noise. I would never have believed it caused that type of noise. Pics below of the fix, but basically grease and a zip tie to keep the cable/hose at certain point.

Agree with the grease, but not sure I want the zip tie there. Seems like it will cut into the hose protection. Any way, quiet as a church mouse now. New car never should have had that annoyance.....

https://flic.kr/p/2kdK4hj https://flic.kr/p/2kdJFy3
I'm researching for a to replace my 2016 Rav4 Hybrid stolen 3 weeks ago. The Crosstrek Sport (I love the look) is top on my list. But wow. When a dealer fix on a new car is grease and a zip-tie, it's not confidence inspiring. That sounds like a design flaw. If I pay $29,000+ for a new car, I don't expect zip-ties to be the answer to any problem.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
668 Posts
I had a similar noise on my 2020 over bumps. It went away after the first 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’m laughing my *** off over here. So let me get this straight, you get a squeak on your trek, the squeak is coming from a rubbing of a cable and a guide. And the solution is to rub some silicone grease on it? Sounds like it’s a non-issue. Just deal with it until the cable and guide creates its own non-interference buffer. A.k.a. it chafes until it doesn’t squeak anymore.
These technical service bulletin‘s are hilarious

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
8 Posts
2021 Limited, got it home from dealer with 25 miles on it, and it creaked when turning into my driveway (was a straight shot freeway drive home, so no tight turns), It continued creaking with any turning flex, or both tires slowly over a speed bump, and even on breaking some time. It was fairly loud. I Googled the crap out of it. It was NOT spare tire tools or styrofoam. It was NOT hatch struts, latch or any plastic rubbing.

At the dealer, with just 238 miles on the car, two big guys moved the car as the tech checked control arm, bushings, test drive, sway bar bushings, test drive, and finally...... He heard and felt the problem on the right wheel Emergency Brake cable hose. It flexed with suspension and moved inside a metal bracket, causing the noise. I would never have believed it caused that type of noise. Pics below of the fix, but basically grease and a zip tie to keep the cable/hose at certain point.

Agree with the grease, but not sure I want the zip tie there. Seems like it will cut into the hose protection. Any way, quiet as a church mouse now. New car never should have had that annoyance.....

https://flic.kr/p/2kdK4hj https://flic.kr/p/2kdJFy3
Thank you OP for this informative post. I've implemented the fixes to both the ebrake line and the floating jack in the trunk. I have less than 1k on it so far and while I had never noticed any noises, when I tested the ebrake cable/guide by hand it did make a small sound and was definitely not lubed. A little silicone and it moved easily and quietly.

The floating jack is a weird one. Kinda disappointing. But a small, fitted bit of foam and potential thumping was eliminated.

And I had thought it perfect already. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts