Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021 Limited, got it home from dealer with 25 miles on it, and it creaked when turning into my driveway (was a straight shot freeway drive home, so no tight turns), It continued creaking with any turning flex, or both tires slowly over a speed bump, and even on breaking some time. It was fairly loud. I Googled the crap out of it. It was NOT spare tire tools or styrofoam. It was NOT hatch struts, latch or any plastic rubbing.

At the dealer, with just 238 miles on the car, two big guys moved the car as the tech checked control arm, bushings, test drive, sway bar bushings, test drive, and finally...... He heard and felt the problem on the right wheel Emergency Brake cable hose. It flexed with suspension and moved inside a metal bracket, causing the noise. I would never have believed it caused that type of noise. Pics below of the fix, but basically grease and a zip tie to keep the cable/hose at certain point.

Agree with the grease, but not sure I want the zip tie there. Seems like it will cut into the hose protection. Any way, quiet as a church mouse now. New car never should have had that annoyance.....

https://flic.kr/p/2kdK4hj https://flic.kr/p/2kdJFy3

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
273 Posts
Do not worry about zip tie. If it break off, just replace it with another one if noise returns. Silicone grease might be enough, though.
I think he is concerned about the zip tie cutting into the brake hose sheath - not about the zip tie breaking...
I would suggest maybe put a second zip tie on in a different position maybe to spread the load? Or remove zip and wrap the sheath with an additional layer of protection - and then re-zip tie?

Reactions: xv-v

·
Registered
75 Posts
The cable/hose (probably steel sheathed cable if it's for the parking brake) appears to already have an extra protective sheath over it. A zip tie won't cut through all of that material, especially if the zip tie is kept tight. The only way the tie will do any damage is if the zip tie is loose and there is a frictional movement between the cable/hose and the tie or bracket. For extra piece of mind you could place a few wraps of electrical tape over the area to keep things stationary. Zip ties are the next best thing to duct tape, sometimes the best thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he is concerned about the zip tie cutting into the brake hose sheath - not about the zip tie breaking...
I would suggest maybe put a second zip tie on in a different position maybe to spread the load? Or remove zip and wrap the sheath with an additional layer of protection - and then re-zip tie?
Right. If I wasn't clear I'm thinking I've used zip ties in solutions before and after a relatively short time they've worn through either the thing I was tying down, or the fixed point anchor. The rubber sheath is constantly moving up and down in that area, and I'm not sure additional zip ties will keep pressure from increasing and decreasing constantly on the sheath. I'm wondering whether generous grease by itself would keep it quiet. I failed to ask the tech if both were required and if he tried grease only.

One thing is certain--the creaking sound was with every chassis flex or rear suspension compression. It was audible over moderate radio volume. And with this fix it is 100% gone. Honestly I'm anal enough that the noise would still bother me, but it's mmmmm ~68% tolerable if I'm certain what is causing it and it's not serious. Kudos to the tech.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting! I just picked up a 2021 limited on Wednesday last week. It’s been making noticeable creaking noises as I enter my driveway which is on a slight incline. Now I know how to resolve. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting! I just picked up a 2021 limited on Wednesday last week. It’s been making noticeable creaking noises as I enter my driveway which is on a slight incline. Now I know how to resolve. Thanks for posting!
Yep. And I tested the emergency brake. It still works fine......... :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 2021 limited has had same noises since I got it (month ago). Should I take it in or just live with it

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
407 Posts
Cut the tie off and see if the creak starts again. If not problem solved.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
121 Posts
I checked mine and both sides are under small tension (cable is pushing down on bracket bottom and at the wheel side it is pushing upward to the top of the bracket, other word it is angled inside bracket) with car on flat surface. The cable outer shell to the bracket interface feels a bit tacky/sticky when cable pushed upward. I think small amount of silicone grease (gel like) will keep it squeak free for a while. Mine does not make any noise though.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
292 Posts
I also had something similar on my 2020 - especially the part about entering my driveway. I now have 10,500 miles on the car and, at some point, the sound went away on its own. I can't say when but, one day, I just noticed it was gone. Of course, who knows if my creak was caused by the same thing as yours or the OP. I don't know if this helps or not but I guess what I'm saying is you may want to wait a bit - unless, of course, it really bothers you. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
2021 Limited, got it home from dealer with 25 miles on it, and it creaked when turning into my driveway (was a straight shot freeway drive home, so no tight turns), It continued creaking with any turning flex, or both tires slowly over a speed bump, and even on breaking some time. It was fairly loud. I Googled the crap out of it. It was NOT spare tire tools or styrofoam. It was NOT hatch struts, latch or any plastic rubbing.

At the dealer, with just 238 miles on the car, two big guys moved the car as the tech checked control arm, bushings, test drive, sway bar bushings, test drive, and finally...... He heard and felt the problem on the right wheel Emergency Brake cable hose. It flexed with suspension and moved inside a metal bracket, causing the noise. I would never have believed it caused that type of noise. Pics below of the fix, but basically grease and a zip tie to keep the cable/hose at certain point.

Agree with the grease, but not sure I want the zip tie there. Seems like it will cut into the hose protection. Any way, quiet as a church mouse now. New car never should have had that annoyance.....

https://flic.kr/p/2kdK4hj https://flic.kr/p/2kdJFy3
Got the 2021 limited on 15 Sep 2020. No problems.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
121 Posts
Also, I found another noise source in the trunk. It is insert on top of the spare tire, holding jack, lug nut wrench and etc. - it is not secured and when going over speed bump or pavement transition - it causes some loud thud. I put a small block of foam to jam it in the center under the trunk floor cover. Maybe possible to use short rubber straps or bungee cords to secure the jack on top of the insert to the wheel below to hold the whole assembly down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own a 2020 Crosstrek Limited with 15k miles. Love the car but want more power with the 2.5l engine now available. I've recently driven three 2021 Crosstrek Limiteds and all had the rear creaking problem. Dealer service dept called Subaru and they told them to replace rear struts. They did, I drove one again with the service mgr in the car with me, and it was worse. Service mgr looked concerned, and then said they would have the Subaru engineer visit this dealership in Atlanta. The engineer visited and drove several more which all had the same problem. The engineer said don't worry about it since it was not a problem. Unfortunately, the service mgr was on vacation when the engineer was in the dealership. I then got 2 calls telling me the car was ready to pickup. I will speak with the service mgr this week when he returns from vacation. No plans to take the car as of now, but would like to know if the simple fix of the grease and zip tie has actually worked after driving more miles?

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
121 Posts
I ended up slightly bending the parking brake cable brackets with small adjustable wrench between control arm and the cable, so it is not putting tension (twist) on the cable in normal wheel position and used two small bungee straps to secure spare wheel tool insert and 2 small foam blocks to jam jack in the insert as it is recessed a little in the insert slot. The bending part could be done on the driveway, just put a piece of rag on the ground and brackets are reachable without any disassembly. No any noises from the rear now.

Do not underestimate spare tire insert - it was not designed to be secured by any means and just rests on top of spare wheel nut (design issue) and it makes loud thuds and noises on speed bumps, pot holes and other irregularities on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 2021 limited has had same noises since I got it (month ago). Should I take it in or just live with it
I ended up doing nothing and the rear creaking noise that I heard upon entering the (slightly uphill) driveway has gone away. Guess that is a good thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do not worry about zip tie. If it break off, just replace it with another one if noise returns. Silicone grease might be enough, though.
Right. Ever try cutting through an E brake cable? I have. Even with an angle grinder and brand new cut off wheel it took forever and frayed long before it severed. E brake cables are invincible.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
121 Posts
BTW, it is easy to diagnose the spare tire insert noise - simply lift trunk floor cover and remove insert with lug nut wrench and jack from the top of the spare wheel. If noises are gone - it was the source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own a 2020 Crosstrek Limited with 15k miles. Love the car but want more power with the 2.5l engine now available. I've recently driven three 2021 Crosstrek Limiteds and all had the rear creaking problem. Dealer service dept called Subaru and they told them to replace rear struts. They did, I drove one again with the service mgr in the car with me, and it was worse. Service mgr looked concerned, and then said they would have the Subaru engineer visit this dealership in Atlanta. The engineer visited and drove several more which all had the same problem. The engineer said don't worry about it since it was not a problem. Unfortunately, the service mgr was on vacation when the engineer was in the dealership. I then got 2 calls telling me the car was ready to pickup. I will speak with the service mgr this week when he returns from vacation. No plans to take the car as of now, but would like to know if the simple fix of the grease and zip tie has actually worked after driving more miles?
When the service manager returned, he called Subaru again to try and get a fix to the creaking. A different Subaru engineer came to the dealership and took the car to the local Subaru distribution center for a more in depth analysis of the creaking. The solution was to reset all the suspension bolts to new torque settings. I drove the car after the adjustments, and there was absolutely no creaking when going slowly over a speed bump or any road imperfections. The only very small creaking I could hear was on entering my uphill driveway. Even that has now disappeared after about 1500 miles. The service mgr told me that any car with the creaks, gets the revised torque settings. For me, the creaking problem has been solved, and I received a service record describing what was done - just in case it ever comes back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts