Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited - Magnetite Gray Metalic
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly triggers the icy conditions warning to come up? When (at what temperatures) does this warning light automatically comes on/off. Is there a way to adjust the default (temperature threshold) that triggers this warning or a way to turn it off.
Yesterday, it was cold ~30 degrees F and windy, but the roads were completely dry. When I turned on the car I got a white text + icon warning about the icy condition and then a small yellow icon on the dashboard that stayed on for the duration of my trip. I searched the .pdf file of the manual for details about this warning, but couldn't find anything, but maybe I didn't search hard enough.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Page 3-34 of the OM.

Icy road surface warning indicator (if equipped) When the outside temperature is 37F (3C) or less, the icy road surface warning will illuminate to inform the driver that the road surface may be frozen

Once the icy road surface warning screen appears, it will not disappear unless the outside temperature has increased to 41F (5C) or higher.

On older versions like with my '14, the temp display just blinked as it passed the magic number.

·
Registered
599 Posts
In my MY18 the vehicle chimes, the message displays momentarily and the icon lights at 3c. I'm sure the vehicle doesn't know if there is ice on the road just that there could be ice on the road.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I find this feature a PIA. It beeps at 3 Celsius and keeps the warning light on permanently until the temp goes up...so it’s on on our car from November to March...ish. Totally not needed. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together and/or winter driving experience...that’s me...knows what the possible road condition will or can be in cold weather. Sometimes I think that there are too many nanny devices in cars these days. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited - Magnetite Gray Metalic
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone... Now that I know when it's triggered... I'm OK with it. It would have been nice to have a way to either adjust the threshold or turn it off. I've been reading the hard-copy manual bit by bit whenever I find myself bore and waiting in the car. I have soft-copies of the manual in my phone and tablet, but there are usually more "exciting" things to do. :sleep:

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,033 Posts
I find this feature a PIA. It beeps at 3 Celsius and keeps the warning light on permanently until the temp goes up...so it’s on on our car from November to March...ish. Totally not needed. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together and/or winter driving experience...that’s me...knows what the possible road condition will or can be in cold weather. Sometimes I think that there are too many nanny devices in cars these days. :rolleyes:
While it might be a PIA for you, might save someone else from a bad accident. Where I live on the west coast, some of our mtn highways go in and out of black ice conditions, and that warning is often a welcome reminder. Our Sea to Sky hwy (Vancouver to Whistler) is notorious for accidents due to ice with skiers racing up to the mountain early mornings to get the best parking spots. I know, because I am a skier and do that road often, and you sometimes can't sense black ice until it is too late.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
540 Posts
Thank you.. I feel the same. While it could be arguably useful in autumn or spring nightime driving when you can have local frost and black ice on rural roads, the bloody icon is on for 6 months a year. With an outdoor temperature display, it's as useful as having a warning icon that the car moves.😒

·
Registered
448 Posts
While it might be a PIA for you, might save someone else from a bad accident. Where I live on the west coast, some of our mtn highways go in and out of black ice conditions, and that warning is often a welcome reminder. Our Sea to Sky hwy (Vancouver to Whistler) is notorious for accidents due to ice with skiers racing up to the mountain early mornings to get the best parking spots. I know, because I am a skier and do that road often, and you sometimes can't sense black ice until it is too late.
Yep...driven that. Most cars have an ambient outdoor temp display on the dash and anyone driving that highway is paying attention to that...or they should be. With their kids in the ski school, My sister and her family drive it every weekend And have told me stories of what they’ve seen...yikes! Mypoint was that any driver who deserves to be driving pays attention to everything...including that magic 3 degrees C. Most accidents are a result of people not driving for the conditions...that includes ignoring the temp any of the related the nanny warnings.

Reactions: Bluefoton

·
Registered
1 Posts
Page 3-34 of the OM.

Icy road surface warning indicator (if equipped) When the outside temperature is 37F (3C) or less, the icy road surface warning will illuminate to inform the driver that the road surface may be frozen

Once the icy road surface warning screen appears, it will not disappear unless the outside temperature has increased to 41F (5C) or higher.

On older versions like with my '14, the temp display just blinked as it passed the magic number.
Is there a way to disable this warning?

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,524 Posts
"Mypoint was that any driver who deserves to be driving pays attention to everything...including that magic 3 degrees C. Most accidents are a result of people not driving for the conditions...that includes ignoring the temp any of the related the nanny warnings."

it's a feature that i don't mind and you may be giving drivers too much credit

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,033 Posts
It's like EyeSight, don't need it if you are always a perfect driver. But black ice is a very insidious thing, and not easy to detect until too late. Where I live we get it a lot in winter, and don't mind at all getting that warning.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,637 Posts
First move was from Buffalo to Indianapolis. In Buffalo, frozen is frozen, everything freezes. Never heard of black ice and could not understand the warnings about bridges freeze before the roads do. I learned VERY quickly.

Reactions: sas-XV
1 - 14 of 14 Posts