Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry...

Take as many of those pictures as you can. It's a monocoque, which means that the body and frame are all one big piece of metal. I doubt they could pull that straight...
Ahh, I know the word but didn't know it's meaning. I'll for sure take more detailed pictures in the morning. I'll jack it up off the ground as well to get better angles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
very sorry to hear the accident to your 21 veh. Please ask your wife to have a check by your internal/family dr. Sometime the soft tissue injury does not show up for days/weeks.
I used to work for Allstate. In general, insurance company will total a vehicle when the cost of repair is more than 60% of the vehicle value. I understand the veh is hit from behind. Just wondering if any of the airbag was deployed. Because that added to the possible damage and complexity for repair.
These day, body shops are getting better at fixing unibody car damages. They will use high power/strength hydraulic stretcher to pull the body straight to insurance company standard.
One last thing, if the vehicle is not totaled, take the car to car max or dealer to have it appraised. If any of the appraisal notice the accident and deduct any value of the vehicle, you can reopen the case with state farm and ask for the depreciation due to the accident because they are suppose to “make you whole”. Also, if any future body rust or issue to the rear half of the vehicle, you need to document it and should be able to get another free fix because it is most likely due to the accident.
Last thing is make sure there is no damage to rear differential. Because the impact may have damage the rear diff but you don’t see it during inspection.
Best wish.
We got a call back this evening. C4 and C5 are out of wack now. I bet both her and the car would have been worse if I hadn't installed the hitch kit. It seemed to take most of the impact and held up better then the unibody frame that buckled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
very sorry to hear the accident to your 21 veh. Please ask your wife to have a check by your internal/family dr. Sometime the soft tissue injury does not show up for days/weeks.
I used to work for Allstate. In general, insurance company will total a vehicle when the cost of repair is more than 60% of the vehicle value. I understand the veh is hit from behind. Just wondering if any of the airbag was deployed. Because that added to the possible damage and complexity for repair.
These day, body shops are getting better at fixing unibody car damages. They will use high power/strength hydraulic stretcher to pull the body straight to insurance company standard.
One last thing, if the vehicle is not totaled, take the car to car max or dealer to have it appraised. If any of the appraisal notice the accident and deduct any value of the vehicle, you can reopen the case with state farm and ask for the depreciation due to the accident because they are suppose to “make you whole”. Also, if any future body rust or issue to the rear half of the vehicle, you need to document it and should be able to get another free fix because it is most likely due to the accident.
Last thing is make sure there is no damage to rear differential. Because the impact may have damage the rear diff but you don’t see it during inspection.
Best wish.
Should we call our dealer as well and let them know what happened? I mean it's brand new and under warranty. Not warrantied from what happened for this rear end but was thinking about the rear differential you mentioned. My faith in honest humans as of late has diminished so if what you mentioned could be covered up by dishonest repair shops or insurance companies. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Contact Allstate and they will follow up with the person’s insurance company that hit you. Don’t make any statements to the other insurance company. I’m guessing police showed up and there is a report. You can have your car repaired at any Allstate shop you choose after it is examined by Allstate. There’s a possibility that it will be totaled. I’m sorry for your situation and hope you’re wife is not hurt. That’s the most important thing. Cars can always be replaced, no matter how attached to them or exciting it is to own your first new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
Like Astrocat said. More pictures the better. Back of the differential and front of diff with the prop shaft would help.
Also, body shop would give you some idea too.
I assume statefarm has been notified and gave you a claim number? If so, you can take it to their approved shop for estimate. Also, ask your friends if they know any good body shop (not cheap one) they can recommend for your estimate. Lastly, find a good mechanic to take it in for rear diff inspection. If you like to take it to a dealer service, let statefarm know and ask them to pay for the inspection.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
349 Posts
Contact your insurance company, even though it was clearly the fault of the other driver. That's what you pay them for--they should deal with the other driver's insurance company for you. At least that's what good ins. companies do. And your insurance company can advise you on damage inspections, estimates, whatever. If the car is totaled, as it's new, make sure you get enough to actually purchase a replacement, the current market is a little crazy and vehicle availability is low.

I'm sorry that your wife was injured, that's terrible. She should definitely see her doctor immediately if she hasn't already done so in order to fully document her injuries. Don't settle any medical or injury claims UNTIL she is fully healed and all the bills have been received, including all time off work missed, rehab time, and pain and suffering damages. Again, your insurance company should be able to help you with this stuff.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,967 Posts
Reactions: Deadgar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Contact your insurance company, even though it was clearly the fault of the other driver. That's what you pay them for--they should deal with the other driver's insurance company for you. At least that's what good ins. companies do. And your insurance company can advise you on damage inspections, estimates, whatever. If the car is totaled, as it's new, make sure you get enough to actually purchase a replacement, the current market is a little crazy and vehicle availability is low.

I'm sorry that your wife was injured, that's terrible. She should definitely see her doctor immediately if she hasn't already done so in order to fully document her injuries. Don't settle any medical or injury claims UNTIL she is fully healed and all the bills have been received, including all time off work missed, rehab time, and pain and suffering damages. Again, your insurance company should be able to help you with this stuff.
Thank you for the advice in settling medical claims.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,967 Posts
Thank you for sharing this link. I really appreciate it.
As I wrote before; they guaranty the work as long as you own the car. Chose a well rated shop in your area. Allstate assigned a coordinator to handle all aspects of my claim. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I am thinking so too, but you never know.

A friend of mine had a single car accident that did $37K of damage to the car (Lexus performance model, but I don't remember which one). It was in the shop for 5 or 6 months before he got it back. They didn't total it. Of course, it was never the same and he finally sold it after complaining about wind noise and 4 or 5 more trips back to the repair facility for various other issues.
I had a beautiful Lexus IS300h f sport and got hit on the rear offside. Barely any bodywork damage but shifted the rear right wheel in by half an inch (the mini that hit it was totally wrecked and minus a front wheel and suspension. Car was repaired by insurance and having gone back twice to get it right I traded it as the repairs were so poor and the car was less than 3 years old. Had a great history as the previous owner was Sir Geoff Hurst the 1966 World Cup final football legend. The dealer didn't tell me until after I bought it. Very sad to move it on but it would never have been right.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
I believe that if the hitch hadn't been installed our situation could have been compounded 10 fold.
I wonder how that compares? The same energy is imparted to the car, it's just being hit on the hitch that's bolted to the underside versus via the rear crumple zone. I'm curious as we recently got a hitch installed for a bike rack. If anything, I would expect the crumple zone to do a better job of absorbing the impact as that's what it's designed to do. Dunno...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I wonder how that compares? The same energy is imparted to the car, it's just being hit on the hitch that's bolted to the underside versus via the rear crumple zone. I'm curious as we recently got a hitch installed for a bike rack. If anything, I would expect the crumple zone to do a better job of absorbing the impact as that's what it's designed to do. Dunno...
[/QUOTEi
I was hypothesizing something similar. It's a trade off in my brain. Major injury to human without the hitch but less visible damage from rear looking at it. But then more structural damage because the hitch caught the impact and bent the unibody with maybe slightly less bodily harm to my wife. I'm really not sure either. I'd still go with a hitch from the dealership in the future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I was hypothesizing something similar. It's a trade off in my brain. Major injury to human without the hitch but less visible damage from rear looking at it. But then more structural damage because the hitch caught the impact and bent the unibody with maybe slightly less bodily harm to my wife. I'm really not sure either. I'd still go with a hitch from the dealership in the future.
I meant to say more physical damage to car without hitch. Not less, I'm typing on a cell. Drives me bonkers on a phone to type. Android keyboard blows chunks. Love my phone, hate the android keyboard. Wish it was as responsive and forgiving as apples keyboard. I

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
I meant to say more physical damage to car without hitch. Not less, I'm typing on a cell. Drives me bonkers on a phone to type. Android keyboard blows chunks. Love my phone, hate the android keyboard. Wish it was as responsive and forgiving as apples keyboard. I
Again, sorry about your wife. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery...

I use a PC app to connect to my phone so I can text from my PC, etc. I agree, though, if you only the phone to type on it's not the greatest.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
349 Posts
Again, sorry about your wife. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery...

I use a PC app to connect to my phone so I can text from my PC, etc. I agree, though, if you only the phone to type on it's not the greatest.
Sorry for continuing the off-topic topic, but I've recently switched to "swiping" on my Android and I'm faster and more accurate than using my thumbs.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Premium 6MT
4 Posts
definitely use insurance. I was rear ended, and thought I was ok, and now have pains. If your wife's back is hurt, it will only get worse.
I second this! My bf and I were involved in a rear end collision, and I (who didn’t really have any neck or back problems before) now have back and neck problems a lot. I have to go to the chiropractor, get massages done, use electro therapy, and all that jazz and have to heat and ice it a lot. It’s no fun at all!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts