Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We never owned a brand new car off a lot before. First time. My wife was rear ended at a full stop by another drive at around 40 plus an hour. Both passenger doors are now completely pushed out and trailer hitch and everything is pushed down from the bumper down. Looks like the frame is bent. Should it be totalled since it was brand new and the frame seems to be bent? Also, person who hit her has State Farm. We have All State.

How should we handle this? To be clear we are NOT going to go to a State Farm suggested collision center. We were thinking of taking back to the Dealer for an inspection since we bought it there. It just over 1,000 miles. we've had it for 2 months I believe or just shy of that. We also had to wait 5 months to get it due to chip shortage.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT
3 Posts
Depending on how badly damaged it is. I recently totaled my 2014 crosstrek limited. Hit a deer going 40mph and blew the driver's airbags.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on how badly damaged it is. I recently totaled my 2014 crosstrek limited. Hit a deer going 40mph and blew the driver's airbags.
Oh dang. Weird thing is the airbags didn't deploy. Wife's back is jacked up now. We're at an InstaCare. She's more worries about devalue if we get our leg pulled thinking a collision center can straighten the frame back to new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely totaled. Hard to say.
Either way demand a deminished value check from your insurance. You will probably get a couple thousand dollar one.
Thank you for the input and device. We will for sure do that on Monday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
definitely use insurance. I was rear ended, and thought I was ok, and now have pains. If your wife's back is hurt, it will only get worse.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Generally the insurance company determines whether to total a car on it's cost to repair versus the "worth" that is paid out if it's totaled. Obviously if it can't be repaired because of safety issues it would be totaled. Brand new car would need high level of repair cost to get totaled.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How should we handle this? To be clear we are NOT going to go to a State Farm suggested collision center. We were thinking of taking back to the Dealer for an inspection since we bought it there. It just over 1,000 miles. we've had it for 2 months I believe or just shy of that. We also had to wait 5 months to get it due to chip shortage.
the good thing is you walked away from the accident. i was rear-ended at a much lower speed in another car. my agent gave me the option to go the other insurance company or wait longer for payment if i used my insurance. i felt like he wanted me to do the job i paid him for for 25 years (i already knew he was lazy) and i told him to deal with it.

it took me longer to get reimbursed but the amount of time to get the car repaired was the same.

wait....you got the car two month ago and you waited five months because of the chip shortage? that's seven months

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Generally the insurance company determines whether to total a car on it's cost to repair versus the "worth" that is paid out if it's totaled. Obviously if it can't be repaired because of safety issues it would be totaled. Brand new car would need high level of repair cost to get totaled.
Thank you. I'll pay close attention. I was finally able to look at the frame and it's for sure jacked up.
Tire Hood Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the good thing is you walked away from the accident. i was rear-ended at a much lower speed in another car. my agent gave me the option to go the other insurance company or wait longer for payment if i used my insurance. i felt like he wanted me to do the job i paid him for for 25 years (i already knew he was lazy) and i told him to deal with it.

it took me longer to get reimbursed but the amount of time to get the car repaired was the same.

wait....you got the car two month ago and you waited five months because of the chip shortage? that's seven months
Yeah, took forever to get the damn thing. We're in Utah. Seems to be extremely popular.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
Sorry...

Take as many of those pictures as you can. It's a monocoque, which means that the body and frame are all one big piece of metal. I doubt they could pull that straight...

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
It's a Unibody. Monocoque is a bit different.
Yeah you're probably right. Just reacting to comments about straightening the "frame"...

Reactions: BobNH

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,967 Posts
I totaled my 2016 Limited last February. It was the second significant accident I had with it. The first time it was repaired properly, at 2,400 miles and 87 days old, by an Allstate approved shop, Nanuet Collision Center. I had it towed to the same body shop this time. They determined with the adjuster that I would never be happy with the repair, so it was totaled. They guaranty the work as long as you own the car. I received 16,698 after 500 the deductible on collision. Check the link below. Chose a well rated shop in your area. Allstate assigned a coordinator to handle all aspects of the claim. Good luck.
Collision Repair | Allstate Car Insurance

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
500 Posts
Unibody frames can be fixed to the insurers satisfaction, but hopefully, they total it. Most insurance companies total a vehicle when repairs exceed 75% of the market value. This may not work in your favor, as you can pretty much sell a 1 year old crosstrek for about what you paid for it in my area due to demand.

If they do not total it, you need to DEMAND a diminished value claim against the at fault insurer.

Diminished Value Claims Explained - ValuePenguin

I'd probably get a lawyer involved myself. The insurance companies are going to try and get this settled for the least amount of money they can. Sure, he's going to take 33%, but you will likely get more than you would otherwise. Plus, you want the agreement to cover your wifes current AND FUTURE medical bills.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
500 Posts
i'd bet it'll be totalled
Yeah, I am thinking so too, but you never know.

A friend of mine had a single car accident that did $37K of damage to the car (Lexus performance model, but I don't remember which one). It was in the shop for 5 or 6 months before he got it back. They didn't total it. Of course, it was never the same and he finally sold it after complaining about wind noise and 4 or 5 more trips back to the repair facility for various other issues.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, I am thinking so too, but you never know.

A friend of mine had a single car accident that did $37K of damage to the car (Lexus performance model, but I don't remember which one). It was in the shop for 5 or 6 months before he got it back. They didn't total it. Of course, it was never the same and he finally sold it after complaining about wind noise and 4 or 5 more trips back to the repair facility for various other issues.
This.
A brand new vehicle had a very high value. Look up the Utah Total Loss law. It seems to compare cars actual value against cost of repairs and salvage. If repair+salvage is higher, car is totaled.
Hete in NH, it is actually 75% value against repair and salvage cost.
But an impact like that is brutal to the car. And the occupants. Hope she is okay. As to the car, drivetrain in total is a concern. Bent prop shaft, impacted drivetrain internals etc.
Hope for totaled,it will almost certainly never be right again. And work through YOUR insurance. Not theirs. Yours can go after them later. And will.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
very sorry to hear the accident to your 21 veh. Please ask your wife to have a check by your internal/family dr. Sometime the soft tissue injury does not show up for days/weeks.
I used to work for Allstate. In general, insurance company will total a vehicle when the cost of repair is more than 60% of the vehicle value. I understand the veh is hit from behind. Just wondering if any of the airbag was deployed. Because that added to the possible damage and complexity for repair.
These day, body shops are getting better at fixing unibody car damages. They will use high power/strength hydraulic stretcher to pull the body straight to insurance company standard.
One last thing, if the vehicle is not totaled, take the car to car max or dealer to have it appraised. If any of the appraisal notice the accident and deduct any value of the vehicle, you can reopen the case with state farm and ask for the depreciation due to the accident because they are suppose to “make you whole”. Also, if any future body rust or issue to the rear half of the vehicle, you need to document it and should be able to get another free fix because it is most likely due to the accident.
Last thing is make sure there is no damage to rear differential. Because the impact may have damage the rear diff but you don’t see it during inspection.
Best wish.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts