Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Not really sure how to call it but basically the below is how i explained it to the dealer.

Out on the highway at speed, want to do the drop it down a gear to get over or something, and use the paddle shifter ( that i also have on my 2016). I get what almost seems to be a quick jerking or something then it engages. Doesn't do it all the time. Had it to A&T Subaru for its first checkup along with a vibrating more than normal side mirror ( they replacing the whole thing so that's cool), but they couldn't replicate. No codes or any updates available for it or anything.

I just want to make sure this is normal-ish or maybe its just not fully broken in yet, its only at 5K right now. Anyone else with a 21 Sport have this when you attempt that? I cant remember if its one of those things that i've had when its right after a start or not, but its definitely not been when the blue "im not at temperature" light is on.

Maybe its different with the newer ones I have no idea, I just use my 2016 vs 2021 experience as this giving me a red flag.

They want me to try to test drive it with their service adviser but alas I can never do so since they are 8-4pm and I work when they want me to do that so I just tried to explain it the best I could to them to see if they could re-produce.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,411 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, or can tell you if it's normal from that description. Obviously we don't literally have gears, it's a CVT. So to simulate gear changes, it jerks slightly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's one of those "hard to describe correctly" kinds of things. I'm fully aware it's not real gears too and all that, it's one of those things I was just curious if anyone had something similiar happen. My wife had the loaner which is a impreza with the lesser motor and I can't reproduce on that so it may be just how the Sport and above are setup with the different motor.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
I hardly ever use the paddles, except when in the mountains. It is a bit weird, to me, as this is the first CVT I've driven. It's not truly continuous as they have added fake shift points to emulate an AT. I can see how that would be a bit weird.

Just let the CVT do its thing...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm fine with it, just one of those comparisons between my 2016 and the 2021 that shot a red flag but hey if it is an issue later it's on the service history as fine now sooooo I'll be leaving the CVT do its thing now hahaha

·
Registered
846 Posts
I notice on the '21 with the fake shift points programmed in that it is a bit more jerky compared to the '14. It's a CVT, why program shift points so people think it is a regular auto transmission? Kinda defeats the purpose of going with a CVT. .

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
978 Posts
If you're giving it a lot of throttle as you shift you will feel the jerk but if you let off the throttle slightly, shift, then go it shouldn't jerk.

I know Crosstreks starting in 2020 have SI drive, maybe you had it in I mode and it's causing the jerk in manual mode? Have you tried switching it to S mode?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I haven't tried it in S mode, I don't think I've spent more than a few minutes in that mode, this has all been in I which I'm guessing is "intelligent" mode.

Figured I'd be better off leaving it in I vs S for mileage but maybe I'll try that when I get it back. They are keeping it till Friday for the mirror replacement so I'll be putting some miles on a loaner impreza till then.

·
Registered
846 Posts
S mode really wakes the car up with the 2.5 . Until I used it, was sort of disappointed in the power compared to the older car. Night and day with S mode selected. Push that button most every time I get in the car. Defaults to I every time you start the car though. Too bad they don't have that function also added to the *** module.

·
Registered
978 Posts
S mode just changes throttle input and allows the CVT to "shift" instead of holding the rev/shifting slowly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It raises the RPMs for a given speed also probably to put you in a better part of the power band vs the best for MPGs. If I switch between the I and S, the RPMs jump at least 500 with no change in vehicle speed. That is done with the CVT. Something like a pedal commander product is not even close as S mode is far more than pedal sensitivity.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
It raises the RPMs for a given speed also probably to put you in a better part of the power band vs the best for MPGs. If I switch between the I and S, the RPMs jump at least 500 with no change in vehicle speed. That is done with the CVT. Something like a pedal commander product is not even close as S mode is far more than pedal sensitivity.
PC works for those of us that don't have the 2.5L... 😸

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven’t tried it in my new sport yet, but my 2015 WRX with the cvt you could do two quick stabs of the gas pedal and it would bypass the fake shift points and behave like a real cvt.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I haven’t tried it in my new sport yet, but my 2015 WRX with the cvt you could do two quick stabs of the gas pedal and it would bypass the fake shift points and behave like a real cvt.
The only way to do that in a Crosstrek is to brake torque it. If you don't, it'll fake shift as usual.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The S mode appears change the response of the throttle plate to the accelerator pedal. That is, in I mode you step on the accelerator pedal quickly and the throttle plate moves slower to save gas. The S mode does away with that to a point and changes the CVT "gearing". I also wonder if it also effects engine and valve timing..

Reactions: Arthur
1 - 15 of 14 Posts