Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just buy an Odyssey FFS. So many posts here like this!
Hopefully I won't need another battery for some time (as the dealer replaced it). However, I was wondering - any chance the auto stop/start (which I have learned to like) could be placing undo stress on the battery?
Just trying to figure out why my battery (on a new car with under 5K) died? Maybe just a clunker or maybe just an aberration?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Hopefully I won't need another battery for some time (as the dealer replaced it). However, I was wondering - any chance the auto stop/start (which I have learned to like) could be placing undo stress on the battery?
Just trying to figure out why my battery (on a new car with under 5K) died? Maybe just a clunker or maybe just an aberration?
I think so...

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
750 Posts
If the car sits a lot between drive cycles and your driving is mostly short trips when you do drive, this will shorten the life of any battery unless you put a charger on it periodically.

I suppose auto start/stop could be an issue if you regularly drive in stop and go traffic. The time stopped at red lights is time you are not charging at all. I believe you can disable this feature, but it must be done at the beginning of every drive cycle.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
If the car sits a lot between drive cycles and your driving is mostly short trips when you do drive, this will shorten the life of any battery unless you put a charger on it periodically.

I suppose auto start/stop could be an issue if you regularly drive in stop and go traffic. The time stopped at red lights is time you are not charging at all. I believe you can disable this feature, but it must be done at the beginning of every drive cycle.
This - leaving a battery at a low state of charge will kill it.

There's also the stop/start eliminator to permanently turn it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have decided to no longer use the auto start/stop feature as I believe it contributed to the quick demise of my battery.
It is so very simple to disengage - requires no more effort than turning on the lights. I must say that I did get used to it (after the initial "break in" period) and thought it useful - not so much for the gas savings, which was minimal, but for the reduced emissions.
So, we will see.

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
I have decided to no longer use the auto start/stop feature as I believe it contributed to the quick demise of my battery.
It is so very simple to disengage - requires no more effort than turning on the lights. I must say that I did get used to it (after the initial "break in" period) and thought it useful - not so much for the gas savings, which was minimal, but for the reduced emissions.
So, we will see.
Just get an Odyssey...

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
I hope Odyssey is paying you a commission, Astro.
They should be!

Any AGM should be be better than the POS Panasonic battery...

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
750 Posts
About the same price as the Subaru Q85 OEM replacement battery.
Replacement Battery Efb SOA821B600 | Subaru Parts For You
But with ~75% greater capacity.
Except that the battery is covered under the standard factory warranty, so a standard replacement costs nothing if the original dies in the first 3 years or 36K miles.

The reason to spend the extra $$ on a better battery is peace of mind and less downtime which can be priceless.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,726 Posts
lol … yeah, spending 300 bucks on a Subaru OEM replacement battery would be fairly hilarious. But that sure doesn’t automatically imply that the Odyssey is a decent value.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
750 Posts
lol … yeah, spending 300 bucks on a Subaru OEM replacement battery would be fairly hilarious. But that sure doesn’t automatically imply that the Odyssey is a decent value.
I'm pretty sure a standard lead-acid replacement battery from your local auto parts store is still $100 or less with trade-in. The most important thing is to check the date code of any battery you buy.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
33 Posts
Out of curiosity, I tried a search on ODYSSEY® Battery - Official Manufacturer's Site and there was no available battery listed for the 21 Crosstrek Sport. It has the same engine as the 21 Forester and there was no available battery listed for that either. Does Odyssey still make one for the Crosstrek or are people installing a different size than OEM?

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Out of curiosity, I tried a search on ODYSSEY® Battery - Official Manufacturer's Site and there was no available battery listed for the 21 Crosstrek Sport. It has the same engine as the 21 Forester and there was no available battery listed for that either. Does Odyssey still make one for the Crosstrek or are people installing a different size than OEM?
You can contact them directly and they're very responsive and helpful. It's just a 12V battery so if you can get it to fit in the compartment it will work. They're very dense and I recall how much heavier it was than the OEM battery I took out.

As for the snipes about the cost, we had just bought a new $30K off road vehicle and nearly got stranded in snowy mountains due to a crappy OEM battery. It was a no-brainer to me to get a good quality replacement. How much do y'all spend on mods? That was my mod...

Reactions: MA Subie and sas-XV

·
Registered
167 Posts
I too have pretty basic 'mods". Paint protection film on the front, upgraded front speakers, trailer hitch and a new AGM battery. Most recent is a set of new Nokian All Weather tires. Try to contain your excitement people!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts