Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
If that's true, I'm surprised on so many levels. I was expecting the '21 Crosstrek to be the Crosstrek version of the '20 Impreza hatch. It also will impact their ability to meet mileage and emission requirements, putting in a bigger engine, not a smaller one with a turbo. This will be an interesting thread to watch... 馃樃

Registered
If that's true, I'm surprised on so many levels. I was expecting the '21 Crosstrek to be the Crosstrek version of the '20 Impreza hatch. It also will impact their ability to meet mileage and emission requirements, putting in a bigger engine, not a smaller one with a turbo. This will be an interesting thread to watch... 馃樃
i'll bet it gets as good as gas mileage or better.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted my salesman with this news. He told me was "quite confident" the 2.5 will only be offered on the Limited trim. However, I posted a question to the man who posted the aforementioned Youtube video and he replied saying he was led to believe the 2.5 will be across all trims.

Obviously, it's very early so who knows what/who to believe at this point.

Other mitigating factors (at least for me) is the question of which, if any, models will still offer a manual transmission. We all know those days are numbered too.

saint 馃槆

Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
It makes sense to me to put it on the Limited trim only. There's not enough added value with the '20 Limited over the Premium, but the added power would make the difference.

This is what I've thought since I first test drove a '19: the 2.0 power is fine. Adequate. But, it would make sense to have the 2.5 as an option. You wouldn't want to compete with Forester sales, so just offer the 2.5 in a fully loaded Crosstrek.

But seriously, as much as I'm completely happy with the amount of power my car has, 30hp more at the peak would be just right :)

Registered
I contacted my salesman with this news. He told me was "quite confident" the 2.5 will only be offered on the Limited trim. However, I posted a question to the man who posted the aforementioned Youtube video and he replied saying he was led to believe the 2.5 will be across all trims.

Obviously, it's very early so who knows what/who to believe at this point.

Other mitigating factors (at least for me) is the question of which, if any, models will still offer a manual transmission. We all know those days are numbered too.

saint 馃槆
i'll bet it's all trims.

Registered
2016 Crosstrek
Premium, 2.5, 6 speed, and sunroof. If they do that I'll buy. If any of that is missing I'll drive my '16 until if disintegrates.

Registered
Premium, 2.5, 6 speed, and sunroof. If they do that I'll buy. If any of that is missing I'll drive my '16 until if disintegrates.
I'm with you....O'dog....all paid for now, so next one up....keeping the 15 for a long while.

Registered
But will they continue offering a manual transmission?
If dropping in a 2.5, I suspect it鈥檒l be the new FB25D but I鈥檓 pretty (extremely) sure that Subaru doesn鈥檛 have a manual transmission for it.

i expect the death of the MT will be with the next generation. Keep an eye on the Imprezas and we鈥檒l know many months before the new XV is showcased.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If dropping in a 2.5, I suspect it鈥檒l be the new FB25D but I鈥檓 pretty (extremely) sure that Subaru doesn鈥檛 have a manual transmission for it.

i expect the death of the MT will be with the next generation. Keep an eye on the Imprezas and we鈥檒l know many months before the new XV is showcased.
Wow, that's very interesting and definitely something to keep in mind. As I sit here waiting for my 2020 6MT to arrive, this news of a larger engine bummed me out. However, if what you're saying is true, then I guess it eases the sting a bit as manual transmissions are important to me.

I was wondering if you could clarify something you said. You mention "the death of the MT will be with the next generation". Since, I'm assuming, the 2021 model year will still be considered the current generation, are you saying the manual transmission will live on next year or do you believe it will go away since you don't think Subaru has a manual transmission for the FB25D?

Thanks for your input!

saint 馃槆

Registered
Wow, that's very interesting and definitely something to keep in mind. As I sit here waiting for my 2020 6MT to arrive, this news of a larger engine bummed me out. However, if what you're saying is true, then I guess it eases the sting a bit as manual transmissions are important to me.

I was wondering if you could clarify something you said. You mention "the death of the MT will be with the next generation". Since, I'm assuming, the 2021 model year will still be considered the current generation, are you saying the manual transmission will live on next year or do you believe it will go away since you don't think Subaru has a manual transmission for the FB25D?

Thanks for your input!

saint 馃槆
I specifically bought the 18鈥 manual because I was fearful of when a manual would no longer be available in something decent, they took my MT Limited away with the 17鈥檚 but thankfully we have the CDN Sport so I got every Limited feature I wanted except the heated steering wheel.

While grocery shopping, I got to thinking what difference will another half liter really do? Better acceleration? Sure, it鈥檚 got a higher compression ratio and those 38 extra ponies must do something in addition to having more weight to haul around with increased gas consumption.

One thing to consider when discussing the FB20 and 25 engines Is that they鈥檙e both direct injected. That increases efficiency and helps with power but it has three disadvantages; gasoline detergents no longer clean the valves, their performance suffers at high rpm as the combustion cycle is much shorter and the injection pressure is limited to prevent excessive wear. Is this the real cause of our general displeasure in acceleration from a stop and when passing? I don鈥檛 know but it鈥檚 a thought.

I believe that Subaru will have a manual transmission for the FB20D until it鈥檚 phased out with the next major overhaul, expected in 23鈥. However, there is nothing saying it can鈥檛 be phased out at any given time, as indicated by my very least sentence at the bottom, but it survived both the recent XV and Impreza face lifts.

I believe it鈥檚 going away because:

1. a Subaru Corp exec once mentioned that Subaru wants the safest car on the road and they can鈥檛 do it without EyeSight but it doesn鈥檛 work with a manual.
2. Subaru is shooting for fuel efficiency as well. CVTs are easier on gas and if those two don鈥檛 crystal ball it...
3. manual transmissions make a small percent of sales; a rower will drive an auto/CVT but a sheep can鈥檛 drive a stick. As the pool gets smaller, its a huge cost to keep making them.

which rolls me to:

With the FB25B鈥檚 makeover making the D more fuel efficient, it may be conceivable that the FB20D (currently in the Impreza, XV, BRZ and WRZ) will be removed from the lineup, or limited to base models. This concept would fit their global platform model As everything else runs the 2.4 and 2.5; effectively, why do they need so many engines and subsequent transmission parings? My corporate sense is tingling: if it were me, the FB20s and manuals could be gone once all lines are on the global platform, which is currently scheduled for each model鈥榮 next generation.

As we can see, the manuals has been dropping for a number of years. Already gone from the Fozzie and Aussie, the only one confirmed to have a manual was the newest gen, 2020, BRZ, announced in early 19鈥. Like the global platform, I suspect that was influenced by Toyota. Or rather, necessary as it鈥檚 the same damn car as the Toyota 86 and they don鈥檛 use the proprietary Subaru global platform in their toys.

The 6th Gen Impreza should hit auto shows this year and production specs should be announced by winter-spring next year. If manuals are dropped there, it will be gone for the XV as well. That decision rests at both Subaru Corp鈥檚 desire for efficiency and safety in addition to the volume of manuals ordered by national distribution agents.

Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
Interesting. Only one thing's for sure, here: if this guy really does work for a Subaru dealer, and he really does have inside info -- he's risking his job for the sake of some YouTube clicks.

Ordinarily I'd be pretty suspicious of this, since changes like that seldom happen during a mid-cycle model refresh -- but Crosstrek sales have definitely plateaued lately, and this would be the perfect way to restore interest in the model. If it happens, my guess is that it would only be an option for upper-trim levels, similar to the way the turbo is in the current Outback.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts