• No

Votes: 5 25.0%
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
i asked the salesman to take the 10 year warranty off but when i got to the finance person he wouldn’t take no as answer and told me it’s a good idea because of all the electronics/tech on the car, stating the screen and back up cam fixes are expensive. he lowered it but it was still 3k. the maintenance i believe was about $1,400. i figured i would look into the benefits and just cancel but didn’t know i only had 3 days. today i found scratches on the car itself and 2 tiny ones on the screen. feeling a little bummed w everything since it’s supposed to be brand new :/
Many states have a “buyer’s remorse” laws; ones that allow you to get out of any purchase contract in 1-3 days. Here in WA it’s three days. You might look into that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

New member without a Crosstrek here, but hoping to change that in the near future.

I am from the Orange County, California area trying to receive quotes from local dealers.

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Crystal White Pearl, Option Package 21, "Popular Package #3":

Selling Price: $26,995
Sales Tax: $2,098.70
Registration Fees: $440.75
Doc Fee: $85

Total OTD: $29,619

My initial impressions are this is overpriced.
Again, this is the first quote I receive so now I'm simply letting the dealers battle it out.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

New member without a Crosstrek here, but hoping to change that in the near future.

I am from the Orange County, California area trying to receive quotes from local dealers.

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Crystal White Pearl, Option Package 21, "Popular Package #3":

Again, this is the first quote I receive so now I'm simply letting the dealers battle it out.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!
Was the Total MSRP (after destination) $28,683?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Hi all,

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!
Seems okay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems okay.
Thanks for your feedback.

Got a few last questions:

Financing. My plan is to get pre-qualified through my credit union.
Let's assume OTD is $29K and I can afford a $9K down payment, so financing an estimated $20K.

At that point, it's probably wise to see who can offer the better financing between the dealer and the credit union, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The total MSRP (including destination) is $28,683.
Got it so it has Splash Guards and All-Weather Liners.

Obviously tax and license are not negotiable, I suppose the capped $85 doc fee may be.
Your deal: Total Suggested Retail Price $28,683.00
Price of 26,995 is a discount of about 5.8%. Not a great deal from what I have seen.

To compare, I got a quote in San Diego for a Limited as follows:
MSRP: $30,511.00
Price:$27,409 (before T&L)
Just over 10% off MSRP.

So at this price for $400 more you could have a limited. Not sure if they are discounting Sport at the same %. This was Kearny Mesa Subaru. And yes, get preapproved with your CU, but if you have very good (750+) FICO, Subaru's 1.9% likely can't be beat.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
Got it so it has Splash Guards and All-Weather Liners.

Obviously tax and license are not negotiable, I suppose the capped $85 doc fee may be.
Your deal: Total Suggested Retail Price $28,683.00
Price of 26,995 is a discount of about 5.8%. Not a great deal from what I have seen.

To compare, I got a quote in San Diego for a Limited as follows:
MSRP: $30,511.00
Price:$27,409 (before T&L)
Just over 10% off MSRP.

So at this price for $400 more you could have a limited. Not sure if they are discounting Sport at the same %. This was Kearny Mesa Subaru. And yes, get preapproved with your CU, but if you have very good (750+) FICO, Subaru's 1.9% likely can't be beat.
I agree, 5.8% off MSRP doesn't seem like a good deal from what I've seen posted here over the years. One would think that dealers would be falling over themselves to sell cars at this time but there have also been some shortages due to production lines having to close.

Many dealers promote how much below invoice they will go (so it makes it look like they're making a loss on the car - they're not!) and the invoice price is around 93% of the MSRP. Last time I checked, the car buying programs like TrueCar and CostCo were $300-500 under invoice, and the dealer has to pay them a commission. If I were in the market right now I'd be looking for around 9% off MSRP or better.

Also agree that you likely won't do better than Subaru's subsidized financing. We were going to pay cash but it made no sense as the finance rate was lower than a CD. It even bumped our credit score as we carry no debt and having a car loan being paid off is a good thing, LOL.

And don't let the finance guy talk you into an extended warranty. Not saying don't get one, we have one, but you don't need to buy it with the car and can probably get a better deal after the fact.

PM me for contacts at dealers in the LA area if you want to venture beyond the Orange Curtain... 😸

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Thanks for your feedback.

Got a few last questions:

Financing. My plan is to get pre-qualified through my credit union.
Let's assume OTD is $29K and I can afford a $9K down payment, so financing an estimated $20K.

At that point, it's probably wise to see who can offer the better financing between the dealer and the credit union, right?
Subaru subsidized financing will probably be the lowest rate you find. Some dealers take on 1/2% or more to that rate, so make sure you know the Subaru rates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback.

I just only started sending inquiries to numerous dealers yesterday so I'm still shopping around.

I received another quote from a dealer in the LA area last night with a slightly higher MSRP but close to 8.5% off:

At least now I'm starting to get an idea of what they're going for.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I received another quote from a dealer in the LA area last night
That doesn't sound bad at all. According to TrueCar, in the upper midwest, an equivalent Sport is averaging about 7.5% off MSRP. You should check truecar.com and see what holds for your region. You can get averages like below without triggering sales offers from dealers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That doesn't sound bad at all. According to TrueCar, in the upper midwest, an equivalent Sport is averaging about 7.5% off MSRP. You should check truecar.com and see what holds for your region. You can get averages like below without triggering sales offers from dealers.

View attachment 302634
Not bad to check, but I have always done better than any of these big online "price paid" sites predict. Definitely don't pay more than they say you should, as you likely can do better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think I got a screaming deal, but better than Subaru.com by about $1000.

Subaru.com ($29,895)
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport ($26,495) with the following packages:
-Power Tilt/Sliding Moonroof ($1,600)
-Auto Dimming Mirror w/Compass & ($365)
-Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light ($235)
-Rear Bumper Cover ($150)
-Destination & Delivery ($1,050)

Dealer price (including doc fee which is complete BS) ($28,750)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I don't think I got a screaming deal, but better than Subaru.com by about $1000.

Subaru.com ($29,895)
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport ($26,495) with the following packages:
-Power Tilt/Sliding Moonroof ($1,600)
-Auto Dimming Mirror w/Compass & ($365)
-Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light ($235)
-Rear Bumper Cover ($150)
-Destination & Delivery ($1,050)

What is the $799 “Dealer administration fee,“ to you if you feel the $249 doc fee is bs? That’s over a $1000 in dealer fees... Congrats on being a new CT owner and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is the $799 “Dealer administration fee,“ to you if you feel the $249 doc fee is bs? That’s over a $1000 in dealer fees... Congrats on being a new CT owner and welcome to the forum!
Yeah so they dropped MSRP like $2,000 but then kept like $800 in dealer fees... so in the end you feel like you got a better deal than you did. I think the doc filing fee is obviously inflated, but they did handle all the paperwork with the DMV. Not sure what the cost of that truly was for NC. In the end I really like my car (minus **** headlights) so I'm happy with it. And I didn't get totally hosed.

Wish you can just order direct from the factory like many mountain bike companies are doing now. Direct to Consumer model. Sign me up.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium Black • CVT
82 Posts
This Crosstrek Sport's MSRP is $29,895,00 and invoice is $27,984.00.

The invoice shows the dealer's selling price as 27,951.00 which is $33.00 below invoice. The Document Handling Fee, Electronic Filing Fees and the Dealer Administrative Fee total $1,201.00. After these fees are added, the actual selling price is $29,152.00.

$29,152,00 is $1,168.00 over invoice which represents a $743.00 discount off MSRP (2.485%). Whether this is a good deal or not depends upon the value of the redacted trade-in.

This transaction is a typical example of how cars are sold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah so they dropped MSRP like $2,000 but then kept like $800 in dealer fees... so in the end you feel like you got a better deal than you did. I think the doc filing fee is obviously inflated, but they did handle all the paperwork with the DMV. Not sure what the cost of that truly was for NC. In the end I really like my car (minus **** headlights) so I'm happy with it. And I didn't get totally hosed.

Wish you can just order direct from the factory like many mountain bike companies are doing now. Direct to Consumer model. Sign me up.
That pretty much amounts to price controls. Subaru comes pretty close to this now. You just don't see huge markups at Subie dealerships, like you would at US manufacturers. I got $12K off of MSRP for my Super Duty, three years ago.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
This Crosstrek Sport's MSRP is $29,895,00 and invoice is $27,984.00.
How do you get that information on invoice?

Also I forgot to add the weather mats and rear seatback protector (total $250) So MSRP was actually $30,145

The trade in was thrown at end of negotiations because I didn't want it to play in. I believe I did OK there. Selling private may have provided additional $1000 but didn't want to hang on to it.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts