• Yes

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.5%
341 - 360 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
also how do I negotiate with a dealer claiming there’s no negotiating due to chip shortages and only selling at “msrp”. I’ll be the first to admit I roll over really easy andcan’t negotiate to save my life.
Only set foot into a dealership to test drive. Once you do that and like it, go to Subaru.com and build the exact model you want, including ALL the options. Save the build and then it's assigned a number. Then figure out what approximate dealer invoice is and use that as your guide to shoot for. This can be found online. It's probably not exactly what the dealership paid for it, but it gives you a ballpark to shoot for. Then go back online to Subaru.com and email EVERY SINGLE dealership within the area you are willing to travel. Make sure the email Includes the build number you received from when you built it on Subaru.com, as the dealer can access this exact build on their end. Then just hope you get at least two willing to deal, once you have at least two, then use it as leverage against the other one(s). Kept going till there is only one standing. Again, this is all done via email.....no person to person. Sales tactics don't work very well over email, and you have access to all the information you need to make an informed decision. When you are in person they can use every single sales tactic in the book.

In my experience, even though I supplied the actual build number from Subaru.com and told them I wanted to place an order, I'd still get some telling me what they found similar to the one I want and they would give me a price for that one. I'd respond that I'm not interested and want their best price on the build I sent them. Make sure they give you a price for the one you built, in order to keep comparing prices easier.

I just ordered one at the end of June and got it for $800 -under dealer invoice-. Emailed 23 dealerships across all of WI and N IL. Wanted to place an order, not pick from what few cars they had coming in which were not already pre-sold before getting to lots. Some would not budge on MSRP, some would throw you a little bone ($500 - $1,500 under MSRP), some did not even respond. All it takes is TWO dealerships willing to deal. I found three out of the 23. Used one for leverage against the other two.

If you have a trade, once you get them down to the price you are comfortable with, NOW is the time to tell them you have a trade-in. Now you can try to get the most from your trade-in without convoluting the situation by having two moving pieces (price of new car and AND trade-in value).

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts
Only set foot into a dealership to test drive. Once you do that and like it, go to Subaru.com and build the exact model you want, including ALL the options. Save the build and then it's assigned a number. Then figure out what approximate dealer invoice is and use that as your guide to shoot for. This can be found online. It's probably not exactly what the dealership paid for it, but it gives you a ballpark to shoot for. Then go back online to Subaru.com and email EVERY SINGLE dealership within the area you are willing to travel. Make sure the email Includes the build number you received from when you built it on Subaru.com, as the dealer can access this exact build on their end. Then just hope you get at least two willing to deal, once you have at least two, then use it as leverage against the other one(s). Kept going till there is only one standing. Again, this is all done via email.....no person to person. Sales tactics don't work very well over email, and you have access to all the information you need to make an informed decision. When you are in person they can use every single sales tactic in the book.

In my experience, even though I supplied the actual build number from Subaru.com and told them I wanted to place an order, I'd still get some telling me what they found similar to the one I want and they would give me a price for that one. I'd respond that I'm not interested and want their best price on the build I sent them. Make sure they give you a price for the one you built, in order to keep comparing prices easier.

I just ordered one at the end of June and got it for $800 -under dealer invoice-. Emailed 23 dealerships across all of WI and N IL. Wanted to place an order, not pick from what few cars they had coming in which were not already pre-sold before getting to lots. Some would not budge on MSRP, some would throw you a little bone ($500 - $1,500 under MSRP), some did not even respond. All it takes is TWO dealerships willing to deal. I found three out of the 23. Used one for leverage against the other two.

If you have a trade, once you get them down to the price you are comfortable with, NOW is the time to tell them you have a trade-in. Now you can try to get the most from your trade-in without convoluting the situation by having two moving pieces (price of new car and AND trade-in value).
You'll probably have to order and wait 8 weeks.

·
Registered
'21 Crosstrek Premium, '21 Outback Premium
8 Posts
2021 Premium Automatic in Pure Red with Package #3; still in transit. Put a deposit down in order to secure the vehicle and I have received the VON.

Selling Dealer: Matt Slap Subaru in Newark, DE
MSRP: $26,546
Discount: $627
Selling Price: $25,919
Dealer Doc Fee: $110
Handling: $89
Tax: $1,730.32 (NJ Tax is 6.62%)
NJ Registration: $316
Total OTD: $28,164.32

I also have a Subaru Owner Loyalty coupon that I will apply to my down payment once we are at the dealer and finalize everything.

I think I did pretty well all things considered with the limited inventory. Car is expected in the beginning of August to the dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts
To bad you couldn't register in DE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hesitate to post this since I paid MSRP, but here goes...

On Wednesday I took delivery of my 2021 Premium 6 Speed in Cool Gray Khaki with some options. I factory ordered this car back in May from a guy I have dealt with before and I trust them not to bend me over. I had no extra fees or hard sells on anything in finance or sales. The process went very smooth for me.

MSRP: $23,295
Options: $1,071
Destination: $1,050
Total MSRP: 25,416
Doc Fee: $199
Sales Tax: $1,779 (7%)
Indiana Registration: $31.25

I put a lot down and financed at 0.9%. My total cost will be around $27,500 after interest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey friends...

I am a first-time buyer and my zipcode is 90025 (SoCal). This is what I get so far for 2021 Crosstrek Premium CVT in Cool Gray Khaki... Both need to pre-order and put a reserve fee $500.
Dealership A:
Selling price: $26,862
Tax(9.5%) $2,559.97
DMV(dealer fee incl.): $532.75
Total OTD: $29,954.72
Is it good these days...?

Dealership B:
I also got another lower quote with a dealer price of $26,465 and OTD $29,512. But they gave me a lease price (36/12) $361 with $0 down payment. This one's OTD is lower but the lease monthly payment is higher I think. What should I target for the monthly leasing payment?
And dealer A keeps saying that dealer B might have any hidden fee I don't know. Dealer B says they can process the reservation online and don't need to go to the site. Is it recommended to do what they said or I should go to the site for the best price?

What should I do? Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hey friends...

I am a first-time buyer and my zipcode is 90025 (SoCal). This is what I get so far for 2021 Crosstrek Premium CVT in Cool Gray Khaki... Both need to pre-order and put a reserve fee $500.
Dealership A:
Selling price: $26,862
Tax(9.5%) $2,559.97
DMV(dealer fee incl.): $532.75
Total OTD: $29,954.72
Is it good these days...?

Dealership B:
I also got another lower quote with a dealer price of $26,465 and OTD $29,512. But they gave me a lease price (36/12) $361 with $0 down payment. This one's OTD is lower but the lease monthly payment is higher I think. What should I target for the monthly leasing payment?
And dealer A keeps saying that dealer B might have any hidden fee I don't know. Dealer B says they can process the reservation online and don't need to go to the site. Is it recommended to do what they said or I should go to the site for the best price?

What should I do? Thanks a lot!!
i paid a hundred less OTD for a 2021 sport with package #3 two months ago. i used a broker. i basically told him i wanted a sport (least equipped) and the most i would spend was $30k OTD, and four days later he delivered.

i got the idea to use the broker after my neighbor bought a 2021 premium with package #3. i asked her what she paid and she said $28k-something OTD. asking someone what they paid for anything is like asking them how many miles they get to the gallon. the question is black and white to me but to some people it's not. just read this thread and you'll see what i mean.

so i think you're paying more than me or her but she bought three months ago and i bought a couple of weeks later. i'm not sure how much prices have changed since then

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is different now. Back in May, there were big discounts to be had in my area as well as some vehicles left on the lots. That all changed right after the memorial day weekend. Based on what others are experiencing the past month, seems to be the norm right now. Might be different where you are located.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got home with my vehicle, and joined to post here.
(long time Subaru owner, first time crosstrek, and first time ever buying a brand new vehicle.)

My "negotiation approach" for this car was simple. (probably too simple - I'm not claiming expertise here, just laziness)

My exact words were:
I don't care what you charge me for this car, and I don't care what you pay me for the trade in - I just want to walk out the door with a White 2021 Limited (popular package #3), financing $20,500 at 0.9% for 48 months.

(Why $20,500? That is invoice price (27461 oops, should've been 28094) minus the top of kbb tradein range for the old car (8800) plus 6.5% tax (1213) plus my guess of the remaining fees (625) )

And that is the deal I got. As you can see in the numbers below, I did NOT get an exciting purchase price. But I got 11,000 for the tradein. :)

1. Crystal White Pearl Limited (popular package #3) with Seat Back Protector, MSRP 29,045 $30,023
1b. Minneapolis area (St Cloud Subaru)
1c. 11k in trade for my '12 Forester with 92k miles (good condition)
2. Invoice - $27,461 $28,094
3. Paid - $29,741
4. $736 over $282 under MSRP; $2,300 $1647 over invoice; $125 Document Fee; $415 License and Fees
5. 102.5% 99% of MSRP

And then at the end I brought out the $500 SoA loyalty coupon, and asked him for two more of those expensive keyless fobs. (I am bad about losing expensive car key$) He said sure.

Critiques welcome, as I realize the above deal breaks many of the rules. Other dealerships had already told me "we can't find this car within a 400 mile radius" so I was excited to have the car today instead of sometime in September. :)

[Edited to correct my bad invoice/MSRP figures...]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am currently looking into extended warranties. I received a price of $1,690 for a Gold Plus extended (10 year/100,000 miles/$0 deductible). I'm thinking this is a good price....?? I'm waiting to see if another dealership will be able to beat it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
703 Posts
I am currently looking into extended warranties. I received a price of $1,690 for a Gold Plus extended (10 year/100,000 miles/$0 deductible). I'm thinking this is a good price....?? I'm waiting to see if another dealership will be able to beat it. What do you guys think?
Your price beat the price that I paid by $60.00.

·
Registered
60 Posts
(long time Subaru owner, first time crosstrek, and first time ever buying a brand new vehicle.)

My "negotiation approach" for this car was simple. (probably too simple - I'm not claiming expertise here, just laziness)

My exact words were:
I don't care what you charge me for this car, and I don't care what you pay me for the trade in - I just want to walk out the door with a White 2021 Limited (popular package #3), financing $20,500 at 0.9% for 48 months.

(Why $20,500? That is invoice price (27461) minus the top of kbb tradein range for the old car (8800) plus 6.5% tax (1213) plus my guess of the remaining fees (625) )

And that is the deal I got. As you can see in the numbers below, I did NOT get an exciting purchase price. But I got 11,000 for the tradein. :)

1. Crystal White Pearl Limited (popular package #3) with Seat Back Protector, MSRP 29,045
2. Invoice - $27,461
3. Paid - $29,741
4. $736 over MSRP; $2,300 over invoice; $125 Document Fee; $415 License and Fees
5. 102.5% of MSRP

And then at the end I brought out the $500 SoA loyalty coupon, and asked him for two more of those expensive keyless fobs. (I am bad about losing expensive car key$) He said sure.

Critiques welcome, as I realize the above deal breaks many of the rules. Other dealerships had already told me "we can't find this car within a 400 mile radius" so I was excited to have the car today instead of sometime in September. :)
Are you sure on the MSRP?

This is what it is according to Subaru's website:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

My exact words were:

(Why $20,500? That is invoice price (27461) minus the top of kbb tradein range for the old car (8800) plus 6.5% tax (1213) plus my guess of the remaining fees (625) )

1. Crystal White Pearl Limited (popular package #3) with Seat Back Protector, MSRP 29,045
2. Invoice - $27,461
3. Paid - $29,741
4. $736 over MSRP; $2,300 over invoice; $125 Document Fee; $415 License and Fees
5. 102.5% of MSRP

so what did you pay OTD?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,538 Posts
Grab it. Fast.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
so you're not counting the $11k trade-in as money you paid?

from an earlier post of mine on this thread:

"asking someone what they paid for anything is like asking them how many miles they get to the gallon. the question is black and white to me but to some people it's not. just read this thread and you'll see what i mean."

·
Registered
5 Posts
so you're not counting the $11k trade-in as money you paid?
Perhaps this newby is misusing the OTD terminology. I acknowledge that the dealership got 20,500 from me plus a car they decided was worth 11k. Should I be calling that "31,500 OTD?"

341 - 360 of 368 Posts