• Yes

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.5%
321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here, the DMV collects the tax based on the zip code where the car is registered and we have probably the highest local rate in the country at 10.25%

Couldn't get around that, even the time I bought a car in Las Vegas...
DMV ie license tax - yes, same for me, I got the lower rate for my county. The problem was the sales tax being based on the dealership location not my home.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
DMV ie license tax - yes, same for me, I got the lower rate for my county. The problem was the sales tax being based on the dealership location not my home.
It's also the sales tax here. Still almost half of the 20% VAT in the UK...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Boston too and I plan to buy a limited crosstrek soon. May I ask have you bought one already? If not, are you interested in collaborating for better deals? e.g. we can share the best quote we get and ask dealers if they can do better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Boston too and I plan to buy a limited crosstrek soon. May I ask have you bought one already? If not, are you interested in collaborating for better deals? e.g. we can share the best quote we get and ask dealers if they can do better.
I haven't bought one yet. More than happy to collaborate. All the quotes I've received are all at MSRP or a little below (-$500).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't bought one yet. More than happy to collaborate. All the quotes I've received are all at MSRP or a little below (-$500).
Same here, some (and not just one) even give me higher than MSRP...

It seems I can't send you a private message through the forum. How may I contact you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received lots of help here and also learned a lot. Time to contribute. There is not much premium price information here.

I am new to buying a car. I actually ordered a car, but I need it in July (in less than 2 mo). So the dealer raised the price. I paid deposit and will purchase it in July.

1a. List trim and MSRP for your specific vehicle, including all options, packages and port installed items.
Crosstrek Premium+ package 14 + all weather floor liner
MSRP: 27822

1b. Geographic location
St. Louis MO

1c. Trade? Cash? Financing?
Financing

2. If known, list invoice price for your specific vehicle, including all options, packages and port installed items.
Invoice price: 26140

3. List price paid OTD, EXCLUDING sales tax (as that varies by location). “Price paid”. Mention if you used SoA Loyalty coupons to get you down to this price. Include doc fees on this line as well.
OTD: 26121 (after 500 coupon)

4. Subtract 3 from 1 (Price under MSRP) and 3 from 2 (Price under invoice). This may result in a negative number, meaning you paid more than invoice.
-1701 and -19

5. Optional - Ratios are helpful, like percentage of MSRP you paid for your specific car.
I probably did not do a good job negotiating price. Just for your reference.

I know nothing about car, just fell in love with Crosstrek. If given another chance, I probably will buy limited or sport considering the price difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the used marked so crazy right now, couldn't pass up trading in my 3 year civic for $4k less than I bought it for.

1a. List trim and MSRP for your specific vehicle, including all options, packages and port installed items.
2021 Limited with option package 33 and popular package #5. MSRP was $31,554 plus $1,050 destination for $32,604 total

1b. Geographic location
Southwest Ohio

Traded in a Civic Si, financed around $19,600.

2. If known, list invoice price for your specific vehicle, including all options, packages and port installed items.
Not known

3. List price paid OTD, EXCLUDING sales tax (as that varies by location). “Price paid”. Mention if you used SoA Loyalty coupons to get you down to this price. Include doc fees on this line as well.
OTD ended up being $30,591 as I used the Costco auto program. I got a Costco membership at the beginning of COVID and I guess it finally paid for itself! Doc fee was $250.

4. Subtract 3 from 1 (Price under MSRP) and 3 from 2 (Price under invoice). This may result in a negative number, meaning you paid more than invoice.
$2,013 less than MSRP including destination fee.

5. Optional - Ratios are helpful, like percentage of MSRP you paid for your specific car.
I ended up paying 93.8% of MSRP, 8.2% discount isn't bad with how few Crosstreks the area had available and the massive trade in I got.

·
Registered
109 Posts
With the used marked so crazy right now, couldn't pass up trading in my 3 year civic for $4k less than I bought it for.

2021 Limited with option package 33 and popular package #5. MSRP was $31,554 plus $1,050 destination for $32,604 total

1b. Geographic location
Southwest Ohio

Traded in a Civic Si, financed around $19,600.

Not known

OTD ended up being $30,591 as I used the Costco auto program. I got a Costco membership at the beginning of COVID and I guess it finally paid for itself! Doc fee was $250.

$2,013 less than MSRP including destination fee.

I ended up paying 93.8% of MSRP, 8.2% discount isn't bad with how few Crosstreks the area had available and the massive trade in I got.
8%+ off in this market is good. Hard to tell given the trade in variable, but seems like that dealer is willing to discount a bit relative to market. Can you share the dealer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2021 Limited bought on 04/30/2021 / MSRP $30,571 paid $27,849.00 + 250 doc fee OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT AND OTHER ITEMS Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $27,995.00 Exterior Color: Pure Red Full Tank of Gas INCLD Standard Option: 31 Popular Package #4 $1,265.00 Mirror Compass w/ homelink Rear Bumper Cover Splash Guards All-Weather Floor Liners LED Map and Dome Lights Ext Auto Dim Mirror Rear Seat Back Protector Crossbar Set - Aero $201.00 Cargo Net - Rear $61.00

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,424 Posts
Nice garage!

Reactions: regguy1

·
Registered
60 Posts

1b. Geographic location

Wisconsin

Combination of Cash/financing

According to dealer: $28,784

Didn't take delivery of it yet. Just placed order for it on 6/21. Agreed to $27,999 + $249 dealer fee = $28,248

$30,890 - $28,248 = $2,642 under MSRP
$28,784 - $28,248 = $536 under Invoice

8.55% off MSRP

·
Registered
109 Posts
New 2020 Crosstrek Plug In Hybrid
MSRP $37,162
Selling Price - $35,000 (5.9% off) - includes $500 nyseda POS rebate for EV's and $500 loyalty coupon.
EV tax credit - ($4,500)
Net Cost before taxes,fees: $30,500
Taxes, fees: $1,815 (NY doc fee capped at $75, taxes net of trade in)
Total Price: $32,316

In addition, I got $17k for my 2015 limited with 70k that needed two new cv axles and new wheel bearings.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
New 2020 Crosstrek Plug In Hybrid
MSRP $37,162
Selling Price - $35,000 (5.9% off) - includes $500 nyseda POS rebate for EV's and $500 loyalty coupon.
EV tax credit - ($4,500)
Net Cost before taxes,fees: $30,500
Taxes, fees: $1,815 (NY doc fee capped at $75, taxes net of trade in)
Total Price: $32,316

In addition, I got $17k for my 2015 limited with 70k that needed two new cv axles and new wheel bearings.
It's great to see folks are still getting good discounts under MSRP, even with the massive shortages. I posted in another thread that our dealer usually has 300-400 new cars in inventory. They have 11!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just reserved a 21 premium in khaki grey coming in end of July. Located in NorCal. How does this sound?

I’m being quoted
Msrp: 26996
Government fee: 492
Process/doc fee: 85
Taxes: 2530
Military rebate: -500
Total: 29604

also how do I negotiate with a dealer claiming there’s no negotiating due to chip shortages and only selling at “msrp”. I’ll be the first to admit I roll over really easy andcan’t negotiate to save my life.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Just reserved a 21 premium in khaki grey coming in end of July. Located in NorCal. How does this sound?

I’m being quoted
Msrp: 26996
Government fee: 492
Process/doc fee: 85
Taxes: 2530
Military rebate: -500
Total: 29604

also how do I negotiate with a dealer claiming there’s no negotiating due to chip shortages and only selling at “msrp”. I’ll be the first to admit I roll over really easy andcan’t negotiate to save my life.
Not much you can do in the current market. It's the age old supply and demand rule. Some dealers are marking them up over MSRP. It's worth asking, and especially if there's another dealer nearby that you could go to, to get a better price. Also, ask for some accessories at cost, etc.

Better still, wait a while and the situation will eventually improve. If you have a trade, it doesn't make much difference right now. You'll get a better price on the trade and pay more for the new car, so it's awash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not much you can do in the current market. It's the age old supply and demand rule. Some dealers are marking them up over MSRP. It's worth asking, and especially if there's another dealer nearby that you could go to, to get a better price. Also, ask for some accessories at cost, etc.

Better still, wait a while and the situation will eventually improve. If you have a trade, it doesn't make much difference right now. You'll get a better price on the trade and pay more for the new car, so it's awash.
yeah slight problem with that is I traded my Tacoma for an 18 crosstrek only to realize the use prices for these are so inflated I could have got a brand new one for just a little more. I have 30 days 1500mi to return my 18 no questions asked so I may just do it. I’ve got a 21 on hold and it doesn’t arrive til the end of the month.

321 - 340 of 368 Posts