• Yes

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.5%
301 - 320 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's an insane > 14% discount! Like you got the premium for cheaper than I got the base! I need to have you on speed dial when I go to buy another car in a decade or so!
It's nuts. All I did was take the offered price off Truecar and then I bounced the price between two dealers until one of them refused to do business with me and let me just go to the other dealer.

At that point I picked the pricier option since it was about 20 minutes closer and I figured taking an uber for 20 minutes extra would have costed around the same anyway.

My only regret at this point is that I didn't go for the Sport or Limited trims; I would have been happy to pay a little extra to get the 2.5L and the push button start. But at that point, I would have also potentially considered the Premium Forester. But who knows if I would have been able to get anywhere near the same discount I got with the Premium Trek

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone buy a base model?

This is probably what I am going to end up buying to replace my totalled car (rear ended on the freeway a couple months ago). Also considering a base model Wrangler 4 door and a few other manual transmission vehicles.

I'm thinking about asking the dealers around me to get me OTD price for MSRP price. Subtract fees and taxes, that should be close to 10% off MSRP. Sound like a reasonable request? This will only be my second new car (to replace my first new car), hopefully my last.
If your not too picky with color. You can ask which cars have been in the lot for 3 month or more or approaching . This is when most dealerships need to start paying interest on the cars. They are more willing to discount. Most sales guy will be able to tell you. Since all they want is to sell the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there! New to the forum and looking to get a 2021 Crosstrek Sport soon. I test drove my preferred car today and I really like it. Here's the breakdown of what they have offered. Let me know if you guys think this is a good deal or if I should try to negotiate a little more.

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport - Crystal White Pearl: at Lithia Reno Subaru - MSRP $26,495.00

Option package 22 - $1,600.00

• 8.0" Multimedia Plus System
  • Blind Spot Detection w/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Lane Change Assit
  • Power Moonroof
Sport Model Only Package #2C - $858.00
  • Mirror Compass w/ Homelink
  • Rear Bumper Cover
  • Cargo Net
  • Rear Seat Back Protectors
  • Splash Guards
Additional Options
  • Body Side Molding - $292.00
  • Exterior Auto Dim Mirrors -$235.00
  • Crossbar Set - Aero - $201.00
  • LED Map and Dome Lights - $101.00
Total MSRP w/ D&D: $30,832.00
Total Invoice w/ D&D: $28,589.00

Full Break down:
MSRP: $30,832.00
Invoice: $28,589.00
Best Price Negotiated So Far: $27,389.00
Dealer Add-on: $395.00 (Some BS called Permaplate, I'd ask them to remove or refuse to pay this)
Docs: $449
Taxable Price: $28,233.00 ($27,838.00 w/o Permaplate)
Taxes (8.265%): $2,333.46 ($2,300.81 w/o Permaplate)
DMV Fees: $29.25 (non taxable)

OTD = $30,595.71 ($30,168.06 w/o Permaplate)
MSRP OTD = $34,323.27 ($33,895.63 w/o Permaplate)
% off MSRP = 11%
% off Invoice = 4%

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
153 Posts
Hi there! New to the forum and looking to get a 2021 Crosstrek Sport soon. I test drove my preferred car today and I really like it. Here's the breakdown of what they have offered. Let me know if you guys think this is a good deal or if I should try to negotiate a little more.

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport - Crystal White Pearl: at Lithia Reno Subaru - MSRP $26,495.00

Option package 22 - $1,600.00

• 8.0" Multimedia Plus System
  • Blind Spot Detection w/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Lane Change Assit
  • Power Moonroof
Sport Model Only Package #2C - $858.00
  • Mirror Compass w/ Homelink
  • Rear Bumper Cover
  • Cargo Net
  • Rear Seat Back Protectors
  • Splash Guards
Additional Options
  • Body Side Molding - $292.00
  • Exterior Auto Dim Mirrors -$235.00
  • Crossbar Set - Aero - $201.00
  • LED Map and Dome Lights - $101.00
Total MSRP w/ D&D: $30,832.00
Total Invoice w/ D&D: $28,589.00

Full Break down:
MSRP: $30,832.00
Invoice: $28,589.00
Best Price Negotiated So Far: $27,389.00
Dealer Add-on: $395.00 (Some BS called Permaplate, I'd ask them to remove or refuse to pay this)
Docs: $449
Taxable Price: $28,233.00 ($27,838.00 w/o Permaplate)
Taxes (8.265%): $2,333.46 ($2,300.81 w/o Permaplate)
DMV Fees: $29.25 (non taxable)

OTD = $30,595.71 ($30,168.06 w/o Permaplate)
MSRP OTD = $34,323.27 ($33,895.63 w/o Permaplate)
% off MSRP = 11%
% off Invoice = 4%

What do you guys think?
I think this is a good price. 11% off of MSRP is within the ballpark I would expect to get for a Subaru.

For Reno, this is what I am seeing for cars in the configuration you listed. I used Truecar. It isn't perfect. It lists reported recent sales of cars in your configuration (or close to it). So, it does give you somewhat an idea where the goal post is. Looks like you cleared it.

Get rid of the add-on.

What are doc fees like in your area? Is $449 "reasonable"? Can you get that zero'd out? In Oregon car doc fees are capped at $115.

And silly question, what does D&D mean?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
Looks good but what does the doc fee include?

Reactions: Chadster152

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think this is a good price. 11% off of MSRP is within the ballpark I would expect to get for a Subaru.

For Reno, this is what I am seeing for cars in the configuration you listed. I used Truecar. It isn't perfect. It lists reported recent sales of cars in your configuration (or close to it). So, it does give you somewhat an idea where the goal post is. Looks like you cleared it.
View attachment 305297
View attachment 305298

Get rid of the add-on.

What are doc fees like in your area? Is $449 "reasonable"? Can you get that zero'd out? In Oregon car doc fees are capped at $115.

And silly question, what does D&D mean?
Ya definitely will get rid of the add-on. Doc fees are advertised as $449 pretty much everywhere, I'm not sure if Nevada has a cap or not. Figured I could try to whittle them down with that one though.

And I used D&D as short hand for Destination and Delivery which is $1050 for my area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Doc fees are advertised as $449 pretty much everywhere, I'm not sure if Nevada has a cap or not. Figured I could try to whittle them down with that one though.

Looks like there isn't a max in Nevada. And the "average" is supposably $499. You could probably chip away at it. One good way to do it is see if another dealer can beat the price, as stated by @Blueredgreen. They either have to decrease cost from the car itself or from the doc fees to beat the price from Lithia. Either way, you'll know if there is still meat to be shaved off or not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have sent out quote requests to the only other Subaru dealer in my area, as well as some in Auburn and Sacremento, CA as that's a reasonable drive from Reno. Just waiting on replies now.
For California, it is to my understanding the car must be delivered by truck and across the State border to avoid CA taxes on the car. The car once it leaves the dealership after the sale cannot touch CA road first. Just something to take into account if you haven't already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For California, it is to my understanding the car must be delivered by truck and across the State border to avoid CA taxes on the car. The car once it leaves the dealership after the sale cannot touch CA road first. Just something to take into account if you haven't already.
California taxes for Sac and Auburn are actually less than Reno (7.75 vs 8.265). I believe they remit the tax paid in Cali to the Nevada DMV and I'd have to pay the difference when I register it here. At least that's what I gathered from the DMVNV site.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts
MSRP $30,832
Price w/o sales tax & motor vehicle fees $27,389 is good.

Reactions: Chadster152

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if others are experiencing the same. With the chip shortage, I'm getting quoted full MSRP price for 2021 Limited. There's a few that are fully loaded with 3% off MSRP. I wish I bought a few weeks ago when they were offering 5-8% off MSRP =(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if others are experiencing the same. With the chip shortage, I'm getting quoted full MSRP price for 2021 Limited. There's a few that are fully loaded with 3% off MSRP. I wish I bought a few weeks ago when they were offering 5-8% off MSRP =(
Where are you located?

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
For a few years, 10% off MSRP has been common. Surprised it's that way now...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me too. My daughter got her Forester Premium from a Seattle-area dealer for $1000 off MSRP back in December. I went to same dealer yesterday and they didn't discount one dollar. I was $34k out the door with a Limited. At least I got the car, the options and the color I wanted which is more than some are getting. Up here in the PacNW unless you 'reserve' a car that 'In Transit' and might be weeks away you wont get anything unless it happens to be one of the few on the lot.

The only break that that I expected to get was on sales tax - I asked for home delivery as my home is in an unincorporated area in a fairly low tax county but the dealership is in a city with high city and county tax. They said that the tax is calculated where the papers are drawn up, not where they are signed, dammit. So I took delivery at the dealership.

I feel worse for those buying used - the used prices are 'almost new' IMHO.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Here, the DMV collects the tax based on the zip code where the car is registered and we have probably the highest local rate in the country at 10.25%

Couldn't get around that, even the time I bought a car in Las Vegas...

301 - 320 of 368 Posts