Votes: 26 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.8%
221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,824 Posts
Yeah, its a bummer. And the clamping down happened within the last year.

There are people who would say "you have three years to get the extended warranty. if you don't like the price, then you have all the time to find a price you like" Tell that to the people who purchased their car within the last three years and are now not able to procure one for the $1600 pricing 🤣
Yeah, sorry.

To be fair, though, a lot of dealers were telling new customers that they had to buy the extended warranty at the time of the car purchase which was a total lie...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I paid $2050 for the 10 year/100k/$0.

The finance manager at the dealership (Carr Subaru) wasn't offering any SoA SAS plans above 7 years; they were pushing the third party stuff pretty hard. So I declined getting extended warranty through them. I e-mailed a bunch of Subaru dealership's finance offices in Washington and Oregon. And the lowest I was able to negotiate was $2,050. Didn't matter that people were getting $1,600 over out in the midwest and east coast. Only leverage I had were other offers within the our geographic area.

You went with Royal Moore, yeah? They quoted me higher and wouldn't budge. Maybe because I ended up choosing Carr over them for the car purchase. I wish I was able to procure the plan via Carr since I would have had more leverage. Or went with Royal Moore. But it sounded like they would have had to do a dealership trade with Carr to get the car I want and Carr was offering lower.

I took the $2050 deal after weighing in how much time I needed to invest to get a hundred or so off. Decided it wasn't worth my time to do so. I got the deal from Subaru of Bend.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have negotiated the extended plan alongside the car price negotiation when I was shopping around via email.
Ooh good to know, don’t think I’ll shop around then since it sounds like ~$2000 for this particular warranty is a good price for our region.

Kind of regret not paying for the warranty outright (got it rolled into my monthly payment), as it’ll cost me slightly more in the long run. I did get my car from Royal Moore, so maybe that’s why they were willing to lower the warranty price in the end.

I just remembered I may also get 15% off services with my Costco membership, so that’ll probably turn out to be a better cost than the maintenance plan I paid for. I declined getting clear bra from the dealership since I plan to shop around for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, sorry.

To be fair, though, a lot of dealers were telling new customers that they had to buy the extended warranty at the time of the car purchase which was a total lie...
Dealership told me if I purchased the warranty after I drive off the lot, it would be a preowned car warranty instead of new car warranty.

I believe that’s only true IF I reached a certain mileage bracket and then tried to get a warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
60 Posts
Kind of regret not paying for the warranty outright (got it rolled into my monthly payment), as it’ll cost me slightly more in the long run. I did get my car from Royal Moore, so maybe that’s why they were willing to lower the warranty price in the end.
You can just do a one-off payment of $1975 towards your principal. That’ll be equivalent to paying it outright. You will no longer be accruing interest on the amount. Is Chase financing your loan? They don’t do prepayment penalties.

I declined getting clear bra from the dealership since I plan to shop around for that.
I had the full front and hood, lights, door edges, and rockers done by Elite Window Tinting down in Milwaukie. I highly recommend them. They use XPEL Ultimate Plus and the work is top notch. I also got my windows tinted using XPEL Prime XR Plus (I wanted the heat and UV rejection than the darkening of windows). Their front desk person, Dennis, is a great guy as well. He has been around the industry (Google him up with Dennis Pittsenbarger).

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts
Dealership told me if I purchased the warranty after I drive off the lot, it would be a preowned car warranty instead of new car warranty.

I believe that’s only true IF I reached a certain mileage bracket and then tried to get a warranty.
That's exactly what I was referring to. Dealers will lie to you about the warranty options. It's pretty clear if you look on Subaru's site that you can buy the official Subaru warranty at any point up until the factory warranty expires, from any dealer. It's not an inferior product once you've driven off the lot. Did I mention that dealers lie?

Reactions: sas-XV

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,591 Posts
You should be able to get a loyalty coupon from SOA.

Clayton Mantell, the sales manager at Ramsey Subaru in Ramsey NJ used to offer $1K under invoice deals on this site. Tell him AstroKats sent you... 😸
I live in Ramsey, NJ good to know.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,456 Posts
Hint. Hint: That is also where I bought my SOA Gold Plus Extended Warranty. :cool:

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,591 Posts
See the attached Options PDF for MSRP & invoice prices for port installed options. The second PDF shows MSRP and invoice price for the Crosstrek that I bought.

Go to the NADA website, select your model and options to get MSRP and invoice pricing for any Crosstrek.
Great Site, Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,591 Posts
The invoice price isn't really what the dealer paid for the car, with all the incentives and sales bonuses they get. Some dealers are happy sell at $500 to $1,000 under invoice. Of course, then they tack on their ridiculous fees. Fortunately, here in California, they're capped at $80.
Does this include the Holdback?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts
Does this include the Holdback?
Yeah, the invoice price is inflated by the holdback which is returned to them when they sell the car.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,591 Posts
I had an accident last week. No one has injured. I think my Crosstrek will be totaled, around $12,000 estimated damage.

I'm looking to get a 2021 Limited with $2,395 moonroof package. MSRP $32,887 , Invoice $30,670. AstroKats said in a

previous post, it should go for around $29,700. I'll try my best to get this good deal.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts
I had an accident last week. No one has injured. I think my Crosstrek will be totaled, around $12,000 estimated damage.

I'm looking to get a 2021 Limited with $2,395 moonroof package. MSRP $32,887 , Invoice $30,670. AstroKats said in a

previous post, it should go for around $29,700. I'll try my best to get this good deal.
Oh no, so sorry... glad no one was hurt and that you can now get a new car!

That would be a good price around here. Of course, it's all supply and demand. you might get a slightly better price at the end of the month.

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,591 Posts
Oh no, so sorry... glad no one was hurt and that you can now get a new car!

That would be a good price around here. Of course, it's all supply and demand. you might get a slightly better price at the end of the month.
Thank you

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,591 Posts
So happy to hear nobody was injured! So silver lining is a new steed at least.
Thanks, I'm sure it will be totaled.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I would also check TrueCar and see what the "Excellent Price" is for the car you want and in your area. What gets reported on TrueCar is dependent on dealerships reporting sales, but it should give you a starting point of what to expect for your area.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,824 Posts
I would also check TrueCar and see what the "Excellent Price" is for the car you want and in your area. What gets reported on TrueCar is dependent on dealerships reporting sales, but it should give you a starting point of what to expect for your area.
Be careful with TrueCar and other car buying services like CostCo. It's not the best price a dealer will offer (because they have to pay the dealer a commission). Also, since they have agreements with the dealers that subscribe to their service, once you get the TrueCar price the dealer won't offer you anything better. It's probably in their contract so people don't just use TrueCar to shop around for a better price.

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is a good point. You can most likely get a better price than what a TrueCar or Costco quote can give you. I believe Costco tends to be $500 above invoice. Many can definitely get well below invoice just by using any of the effective negotiation strategies.

Like I said though, on TrueCar, there is historic data of actual reported sales in your area and having access to the information is free (you aren’t tied to a no negotiation quote). It is just a starting part to get an idea of what is plausible for your area. Have to know where the general area of the field goal is, yeah? The more information you have for your negotiation, then the better off you’ll be in how to approach your negotiations and getting an excellent price for the car.

Also some other bits in helping your price negotiation. Subaru rarely has incentives other than financing. The couple of non-financing incentives: a military one and if you can get it a $500 Subaru Loyalty coupon (this you may be able to get if you call SoA, and share the story of your 2016 getting total and looking to buy a new Subaru). If you have this coupon just don’t mention it until you are done negotiating and got the best OTD price you can get. Then you ask to apply said coupon. Also I believe the holdback on Subarus is 2% (someone correct me if I am wrong).

221 - 240 of 275 Posts