• No

Votes: 6 18.8%
201 - 220 of 270 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,807 Posts
Ahh gotcha.

I think, with the information, someone in the same area can get an idea of what kind of floored pricing people are getting, what dealerships are good to work with, and get an idea how much they could negotiate (whether they should negotiate by just playing hard to sell to, or hitting up more dealerships around the area to get lower quotes and getting others to beat it, or something else). But yeah, dropping into a dealership and pointing at what someone else on the internet may have paid isn't probably going to yield great results.

It's all an information game and knowing how to use it...
Yep, I take some of these posts with a pinch of salt. To use an extreme example, someone in Hawaii, where there's only one dealer, doesn't have much room for negotiation. When we bought mom-in-law's '19 I shopped around the nearest five dealers and the price range was quite dramatic for nearly the exact same car. The difference between the one we bought and the highest offer was over $2K, and this was in the Los Angeles area with several dealers within a few miles.

@C_CGK's post is more useful than most, assuming he's not an employee of Royal Moore, LOL!

I know you already received a response, but chiming in since I’m also in Oregon and just decided which dealership to go with.

I contacted these dealerships:
  • Gresham Subaru
  • Lithia Subaru
  • Wilsonville Subaru
  • Subaru of Portland
  • Royal Moore Subaru
  • Carr Subaru
  • Capitol Subaru

I had the best interactions and quotes from Royal Moore and Carr Subaru. I chose Royal Moore in the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know you already received a response, but chiming in since I’m also in Oregon and just decided which dealership to go with.

I contacted these dealerships:
  • Gresham Subaru
  • Lithia Subaru
  • Wilsonville Subaru
  • Subaru of Portland
  • Royal Moore Subaru
  • Carr Subaru
  • Capitol Subaru

I had the best interactions and quotes from Royal Moore and Carr Subaru. I chose Royal Moore in the end.
Thanks for the info. Looking around and being in Portland I think Carr or Moore is where I will end up, I need to sell my truck first and I might wait for Memorial day regardless. Looks like Subaru of Portland's crosstrek inventory is partly comprised of lifted on 15 inch wheel, crazy to see these in a showroom!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
57 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looking around and being in Portland I think Carr or Moore is where I will end up, I need to sell my truck first and I might wait for Memorial day regardless. Looks like Subaru of Portland's crosstrek inventory is partly comprised of lifted on 15 inch wheel, crazy to see these in a showroom!
They’ll charge you a pretty penny for all the lifted gear too! Same with Wilsonville. But it is great to look at.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,807 Posts
The dealers here also have tricked out versions in the showrooms. They cost a fortune! Then they can discount the add-ons and you think you're getting a deal...

·
Registered
7 Posts
@C_CGK's post is more useful than most, assuming he's not an employee of Royal Moore, LOL!
Lol definitely not, but I was worried about someone thinking that as I was writing my post. I could have gotten into more detail, but I think it’ll be apparent once someone reaches out to the same dealerships I listed.

Still waiting for my car as it’s still in transit, but will report back with price paid once I settle everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to confess, the paperwork to me is confusing. I posted this in another thread, but it changes depending on what paper I look at. I literally have a different "total price" in three places. For my thread about my new car, I used the loan documents. For this, I am going to use the buyer's order since it gives a better breakdown.

1a. Crosstrek limited with moonroof, auto dimm HL mirrors, splash guards, rear bumper protector, rear seat back protector. MSRP $31,077

1b. Virginia

1c. Half cash, half finance at 0.9% No trade.

2. According to KBB the invoice price of this car with this trim is $28,499

3. OTD price, minus taxes and tags was $26,776. The document fees were an additional $799. So that makes a total of $27,575 for #4 below.

4. $3,502 (Price under MSRP) and $924 (Price under invoice).

5. Optional -I really don't have any ratios, but I should add under optional that I got the dealer to throw in all weather mats and body side molding for free. I really wanted those things and figured it would be easier to ask for them for free vs. asking for another $400 off. I figured the dealer makes profit on them, so they pay pennies on the dollar for those things. But for me, it's still a $400 value since if they didn't give them to me, I would have bought them.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport - Ice Silver
3 Posts
1a. 2021 Sport Ice Silver - $28,342 (Homelink mirror, splash guard, bumper cover, seat back protect)
1b. DC
1c. No trade, Cash deal
2. No clue

Here’s the full break down:

MSRP $26,495.00
Options: 797.00
Delivery: 1050.00
Retail: 28,342.00

Dealer price: 24,743.00
Tax: 1039.24 (Virginia is 4.15%)
Business tax: 43.24
Dealer fee: 799.00
Filing fee: 19.99
DMV: 98.50
OTD: 26,743.00
Loyal coupon: -500.00
Cash paid: 26,243.00

·
Registered
7 Posts
1a. Limited with MSRP of 31,255. Package 32 that came with port installed accessories
  • rear bumper cover
  • all weather mats
  • rear seat back cover
  • crossbar set
  • interior/exterior auto dimming mirrors with Homelink)
1b. Oregon

1c. 1/2 cash, 1/2 finance. No trades

2. Invoice price: $29,132 including the port installed accessories listed in 1a

3. Price paid:
  • $28,553 (includes everything from 1a and window deflectors and side body molding) excluding anything listed below
  • Add $150 doc fee
  • Add DMV fees + Taxes
  • Add optional warranty: $1975 for Subaru gold plus 10 year/100k miles with no deductible
  • Add optional maintenance plan: $1000 for 3 years
My thoughts: I originally wasn’t even going to consider buying a warranty until closer to the 3 year/36,000 miles mark. I think $1975 is pretty good for the Subaru gold plus warranty based on internet research, but I still have a month to decide.

I’m starting to second guess the maintenance plan, so I’ll have to do some research on how much maintenance the first three years would cost from dealerships in my area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Optional warranty: $1975 for Subaru gold plus 10 year/120,000
Hmm I didn’t know SoA’s SAS Gold Plus offers a 10 year/120k. At 120k miles I thought it caps at 8 years. And at 10 years it caps at 100k. Whats the deductible on the plan? Their website states the max coverage and from my own research all plan lists I’ve seen do not have that kind of combination. On your paperwork for the insurance who is the obligor? Just want to make sure finance didn’t get one over you with a third party plan...

Optional maintenance plan: $1000 for 3 years
Seems pretty pricy for a few oil changes, tire rotation, filter change, and a couple fluid changes. Definitely do your research on whether this is worth it to you or not...

$28,553 (includes window deflectors and side body molding as well)
Is this price inclusive of all the other fees you listed or exclusive?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,807 Posts
Hmm I didn’t know SoA’s SAS Gold Plus offers a 10 year/120k. At 120k miles I thought it caps at 8 years. And at 10 years it caps at 100k. Whats the deductible on the plan? Their website states the max coverage and from my own research all plan lists I have been given do not have that can of combo. On your paperwork for the insurance who is the obligor? Just want to make sure finance didn’t get one over you with a third party plan...

Seems pretty pricy for a few oil changes, tire rotation, filter change, and a couple fluid changes. Definitely do your research on whether this is worth it to you or not...

It may have changed over the years, or in different markets. We have the 10yr 100K Gold because we tend to not put a lot of miles on cars and keep them for a while. Also, the Gold covers electronics and with how cars are these days the repairs and replacements can add up fast...

·
Registered
57 Posts
It may have changed over the years, or in different markets. We have the 10yr 100K Gold because we tend to not put a lot of miles on cars and keep them for a while. Also, the Gold covers electronics and with how cars are these days the repairs and replacements can add up fast...
Right, SoA offerings could have changed. But the person I’ve quoted is in the same market as me. In fact the same city, I think. And from my own research (getting full SoA SAS lists from multiple finance offices) the 10 year/120k combination is something I haven’t seen. I did my research and SAS Gold Plus purchased within the last month. But because I haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exists. It just triggered a red flag on my end, so I’d suggest the person double check the paperwork.

I think SAS Gold Plus is worth it for the reasons you stated as well (I also have a 10 year/100k miles/$0 deductible).

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,807 Posts
Right, SoA offerings could have changed. But the person I’ve quoted is in the same market as me. In fact the same city, I think. And from my own research (getting full SoA SAS lists from multiple finance offices) the 10 year/100k combination is something I haven’t seen. I did my research and SAS Gold Plus purchased within the last month. But because I haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exists. It just triggered a red flag on my end, so I’d suggest the person double check the paperwork.

I think SAS Gold Plus is worth it for the reasons you stated as well (I also have a 10 year/100k miles/$0 deductible).
Also, be wary of dealer plans that the finance guy pushes that are not from Subaru. They make huge margins on these, often more than the car. Some dealers were selling the Gold plan online for $1,600 which goes to show how much other dealers were making on it... :rolleyes:

[Really need to find a cat version of that emoji!]

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Also, be wary of dealer plans that the finance guy pushes that are not from Subaru. They make huge margins on these, often more than the car. Some dealers were selling the Gold plan online for $1,600 which goes to show how much other dealers were making on it... :rolleyes:
For sure. I got this from either Forester forum or Outback forum, don't remember which. It was posted about a year ago. I kept it around for reference.

Other forum post starts below______________________________________

I posted these in the main pricing thread (about page 41) from Liberty Subaru in NJ. Subaru Gold Plus Added Security. They collect 6.625 NJ sales tax.

4 year / 60,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,020 – Your price: 610
5 year / 60,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,160 – Your price: 680
6 year / 60,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP:1,410 – Your price: 805
7 year / 70,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,850 – Your price: 1,025
6 year / 80,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,840 – Your price: 1,020
8 year / 80,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,990 – Your price: 1,095
5 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,125 – Your price: 1,205
6 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,220 – Your price: 1,300
7 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,370 – Your price: 1,450
8 year / 120,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,940 – Your price: 2,020
10 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,570 – Your price: 1,650

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is the list I was given for $0 deductible from a known financial manager giving those $1600 discounts for 10/100/0 before SoA enforced only selling within their market.

“Your price” is higher given my area it is difficult to get the better rates then what people on the East coast were getting and its the latest pricing as of February. At least thats what this finance manager informed me. Note we have 0% sales tax in Oregon. Was told anything $400-$500 below MSRP is considered “good” for my area.

6 year / 60,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP:1,410 – Your price: 1,105
7 year / 70,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,850 – Your price: 1,325
6 year / 80,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,840 – Your price: 1,320
8 year / 80,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 1,990 – Your price: 1,395
5 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,125 – Your price: 1,505
6 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,220 – Your price: 1,600
7 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,370 – Your price: 1,750
8 year / 120,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,940 – Your price: 2,320
10 year / 100,000 miles - $0 deductible – MSRP: 2,570 – Your price: 1,975

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm I didn’t know SoA’s SAS Gold Plus offers a 10 year/120k. At 120k miles I thought it caps at 8 years. And at 10 years it caps at 100k. Whats the deductible on the plan? Their website states the max coverage and from my own research all plan lists I’ve seen do not have that kind of combination. On your paperwork for the insurance who is the obligor? Just want to make sure finance didn’t get one over you with a third party plan...

Oof you’re correct, I double checked my paperwork and it actually is 100k miles (no deductible) and not 120k, will edit my post shortly. Thank you for catching that and looking out for a fellow Subie owner!

The price is exclusive of all the other fees, will update to prevent confusion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No problem. It looks like you got a great deal on the front-end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right, SoA offerings could have changed. But the person I’ve quoted is in the same market as me. In fact the same city, I think. And from my own research (getting full SoA SAS lists from multiple finance offices) the 10 year/120k combination is something I haven’t seen. I did my research and SAS Gold Plus purchased within the last month. But because I haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exists. It just triggered a red flag on my end, so I’d suggest the person double check the paperwork.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your warranty? Hope it’s not a repetitive question if you already posted it somewhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your warranty? Hope it’s not a repetitive question if you already posted it somewhere.
Yeah, I paid $2050 for the 10 year/100k/$0.

The finance manager at the dealership (Carr Subaru) wasn't offering any SoA SAS plans above 7 years; they were pushing the third party stuff pretty hard. So I declined getting extended warranty through them. I e-mailed a bunch of Subaru dealership's finance offices in Washington and Oregon. And the lowest I was able to negotiate was $2,050. Didn't matter that people were getting $1,600 over out in the midwest and east coast. Only leverage I had were other offers within the our geographic area.

You went with Royal Moore, yeah? They quoted me higher and wouldn't budge. Maybe because I ended up choosing Carr over them for the car purchase. I wish I was able to procure the plan via Carr since I would have had more leverage. Or went with Royal Moore. But it sounded like they would have had to do a dealership trade with Carr to get the car I want and Carr was offering lower.

I took the $2050 deal after weighing in how much time I needed to invest to get a hundred or so off. Decided it wasn't worth my time to do so. I got the deal from Subaru of Bend.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have negotiated the extended plan alongside the car price negotiation when I was shopping around via email.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,807 Posts
Yeah, I paid $2050 for the 10 year/100k/$0.

The finance manager at the dealership (Carr Subaru) wasn't offering any SoA SAS plans above 7 years; they were pushing the third party stuff pretty hard. So I declined getting extended warranty through them. I e-mailed a bunch of Subaru dealership's finance offices in Washington and Oregon. And the lowest I was able to negotiate was $2,050. Didn't matter that people were getting $1,600 over out in the midwest and east coast. Only leverage I had were other offers within the our geographic area.

You went with Royal Moore, yeah? They quoted me higher and wouldn't budge. Maybe because I ended up choosing Carr over them for the car purchase. I wish I was able to procure the plan via Carr since I would have had more leverage. Or went with Royal Moore. But it sounded like they would have had to do a dealership trade with Carr to get the car I want and Carr was offering lower.

I took the $2050 deal after weighing in how much time I needed to invest to get a hundred or so off. Decided it wasn't worth my time to do so. I got the deal from Subaru of Bend.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have negotiated the extended plan alongside the car price negotiation when I was shopping around via email.
The $1,600 prices were when dealers were selling online but Subaru clamped down on that. $2K is probably par for the course these days...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The $1,600 prices were when dealers were selling online but Subaru clamped down on that. $2K is probably par for the course these days...
Yeah, its a bummer. And the clamping down happened within the last year.

There are people who would say "you have three years to get the extended warranty. if you don't like the price, then you have all the time to find a price you like" Tell that to the people who purchased their car within the last three years and are now not able to procure one for the $1600 pricing 🤣

201 - 220 of 270 Posts