Votes: 26 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.8%
181 - 200 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,258 Posts
Well we got my sister a 21 Premium Crosstrek, She traded in her 19 Impreza and is thrilled. I'll just say we got a good deal. But more importantly, because now she has Eyesight and the other safety features her Base Impreza didn't, her insurance has gone down $400 a year. I found the same happened for me when I bought my '17 Crosstrek. I remember posting about it at the time.
Safety features are a double-edged sword. Although they prevent accidents they also make what accidents do happen a lot more expensive to repair. My guess is that the Impreza, in general, has higher insurance rates than the Crosstrek.

Case in point. When I was shopping for a 2018 Forester, Eyesight was an option on the Limited. I was curious how much money Eyesight might save me insurance-wise so I called my insurance company (USAA) with the VIN's of two identically equipped Limited's except one had the Eyesight option. The insurance premium for the Eyesight equipped Limited was actually $16 more which I attributed to the Eyesight vehicle costing more.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,456 Posts
When I asked my agent, who represents many companies about the difference, he said it was a s simple as some companies give you a discount, and some don't. If they care about your business, they do. Progressive does, so they get my business.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,825 Posts
When I asked my agent, who represents many companies about the difference, he said it was a s simple as some companies give you a discount, and some don't. If they care about your business, they do. Progressive does, so they get my business.
We got a discount with AAA...

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 Crosstrek Touring - Magnetite Gray

Ontario, Canada

Basic MSRP $28,195.00
Holiday Bonus Cash -$500.00
Adjustment -$1,558.42

Total Vehicle Price
$26,136.58

Administration Fee New $249.00
Air $100.00
Freight $1,800.00
OMVIC Fee $10.00
Tire Recycling Fee $23.00

Subtotal $28,318.58
HST 13% $3,681.42

TOTAL: $32,000.00

My first quote all-in was 34 944.00. I negotiated almost 2k off that price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boston Area
2021 Limited with option package 32 - power moonroof.
(msrp $27,995 + $1000 moonroof + $1005 - destination and delivery = $30,045

I paid $27,800 (no trade and finance half)
PLUS:
Doc prep - $299
Inspection, registration, and title - $170
100K service contract - $1,850
MA State tax - $1,756

TOTAL - $31,875
Hi - new here and looking to buy my first Subaru. Which dealership did you go to?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi - new here and looking to buy my first Subaru. Which dealership did you go to?
quirk in braintree - ask for greg 7819171326 and tell him Tony from walpole sent you. Let me know how you make out - use my numbers as a starting point - either with him or any dealership - but didnt seem to have much wiggle room -

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so here's mine looking at the dealer worksheet:

Trading in a 2018 BMW M2 w/64K miles on the clock - getting $31.5 for it - kbb.com says in "Very Good" condition (which mine is) - I should expect $30K max on a Trade-In - it's a manual btw. Payoff: $19,150.00

I have a 2021 Limited Cool Gray Khaki coming in this Monday.
MSRP - $30,371
Discount - $2553.00
Ambassador Coupon - $500 - Thanks again @orndog
Adjusted Price - $27,318.00
Adm fee - $799 - that one sucks
Tags etc - $110.75

(No tax on the Crosstrek because the trade-in price of my M2 is higher than the sell price ($27,318.00)

Balance: $15,877.75 - at 0.9% - 48 monthly payments: $338.00.

The dealer is still in business:) but, I think I did pretty well - had to really work them for it though.
How does one get an ambassador coupon?

Looking to buy a crosstrek in the next month or two so am curious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
60 Posts
Second new car purchase in my life and subsequently the second time I ever price negotiated for a car...

Portland, Oregon area.

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Plasma Yellow Pearl

$26,495 MSRP
$1,600 Option Package 22
  • Subaru Starlink 8" Multimedia Plus Sustem
  • Blind Spot Detection w/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Lane Change Assist
  • Power Moonroof
$929 Sport Model Only Package
  • Mirror Compass w/ Homelink
  • Rear Bumper Cover
  • Splash Guards
  • All-Weather Liners
  • Rear Seat Back Protector
$235 Exterior Auto Dim Mirror
$61 Cargo Net Rear
$1,050 Destination and Delivery

$30,370 Total Suggested Retail Price
$28,290 Invoice Price listed on Edmunds and NADA Guides

Only finance/cash incentive going on was a 0.9% financing for Crosstreks.

I was able to to negotiate $28,119.95 OTD (includes TTL). Negotiating was just contacting all dealerships by email within a 50 mile area and asking for quotes. Then just passing quotes around until the lowest price came out of it. Portland, I think, is a tough market to negotiate for Subarus since the PNW is like Subaru Capital USA.

In the email copy I sent to every dealership I was straight up honest, telling them my intentions, which was to extract quotes from them and passing it around until I got the lowest price and looking to sign a deal by the end of the week if not earlier (email was sent out on Monday). Some salesman were very receptive to my directness, honesty, and going straight to business, while a couple didn't want to play the game. I signed for the car the next day (Tuesday).

Apparently there were only two Crosstreks in Plasma Yellow within a 50 mile radius. Some dealers tried to use that as leverage for quotes. Other's promised to source one at a decent-to-great quotes. I ended up buying from a dealership which had one in inventory and was able to get the rate using a quote from another dealer who said they'll source me the car. They responded $100 under the competitor's quote.

Forgot I wanted Smokey the Bear plates instead of the Oregon Tree and I added the 3 year Starlink Security subscription, so that was another $120 on top. So really OTD was $28,239.15.

Price breakdown:

$27,184.95 Total Vehicle Sales Price
$552.50 License & Registration (4 years)
$103 Title Fee
$115 Title & Registration Processing Fee
$35 Electronic Vehicle Registration
$112.78 Oregon Corporation Activity Tax
$135.92 Privilege Tax

Total $28,239.15

So comparing to invoice price:

$50.85 below invoice price when using OTD
$1,105.05 below invoice price when using Total Vehicle Sales Price

10.5% off of Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price when using Total Vehicle Sales Price

According to Truecar I did pretty good for my area. Excellent pricing is listed at below $28,143 for my area. I am assuming this doesn't include TTL.

I opted to finance at 0.9% for 48 months at 0% down. Could have paid cash too. Didn't want to put anything down since at that rate I rather just put the downpayment/cash in some mutual fund. Pretty confident I can beat out 0.9% over 4 years in the market. Not too worried about being underwater.

Reference material below:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got a quote today and wondering if it worth it.

Crosstrek Limited 1.9% 63 months – Package 32 + Popular 3
$27,042 (sale price)
$1641 (approx sale tax)
$$303.60 (IL doc)
$50 (drive away tag)
$29,036 TOTAL OTD

I am in FL so dealers here add way to many "non-negotiable" dealer fees.

This quote is from Grand Subaru and they can deliver to me for $975 so wondering if it is worth it to purchase from so far or if delivery could be negotiable.

Also worried about buying a car from a dealer in another state that I will not personally see.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
53 Posts
Based on my experience at Grand Subaru, they are excellent. Your price appears good too. However, not sure you have to pay IL taxes if you are in FL. Grand Subaru can handle that or you can take care of registration etc. in FL yourself, after you get the paperwork from the dealer.

I bought an OB from them in 2017, but registered it in PA. They gave me a temp tag and sent the paperwork to PA and I was able to take care of the rest. I did not have the car shipped, but picked it up in Chicago.

Recently, I bought a 21 Sport. Initially, I was going to go to Grand from Pitt to pick up one (without a moonroof), but found an excellent deal locally on one with the moonroof package. I called Grand and they were even nice enough to tell me that the price I received was great, comparable to what they would sell the car, and it would save me a trip to Chicago etc. I picked up my Sport locally. In summary, I would not hesitate to buy from Grand, but my preference would be to pick up the car and not have them ship it. I am wary about making such a purchase, sight unseen.

If you are willing to play the waiting game with the FL dealers, they may buckle down and work with you. Right now they may be on a high however, since Subaru sales hit the ceiling in January; I believe Subaru has sold @46K vehicles.

Subaru Sales in January

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based on my experience at Grand Subaru, they are excellent. Your price appears good too. However, not sure you have to pay IL taxes if you are in FL. Grand Subaru can handle that or you can take care of registration etc. in FL yourself, after you get the paperwork from the dealer.

I bought an OB from them in 2017, but registered it in PA. They gave me a temp tag and sent the paperwork to PA and I was able to take care of the rest. I did not have the car shipped, but picked it up in Chicago.

Recently, I bought a 21 Sport. Initially, I was going to go to Grand from Pitt to pick up one (without a moonroof), but found an excellent deal locally on one with the moonroof package. I called Grand and they were even nice enough to tell me that the price I received was great, comparable to what they would sell the car, and it would save me a trip to Chicago etc. I picked up my Sport locally. In summary, I would not hesitate to buy from Grand, but my preference would be to pick up the car and not have them ship it. I am wary about making such a purchase, sight unseen.

If you are willing to play the waiting game with the FL dealers, they may buckle down and work with you. Right now they may be on a high however, since Subaru sales hit the ceiling in January; I believe Subaru has sold @46K vehicles.

Subaru Sales in January
Thanks for the all the info, it really goes far. The tax is actually my zip code as I gave it to them to price me the car fully OTD. I just test drove the Crosstrek and will not go with it since the driver foot area is not wide enough for me to feel comfortable long term.

I also don't want to fly to Chicago to be able to buy and drive the car down as I have never driven in snow and with all the storms happening up north I dont think I can make it all the way down safely. Now trying to decide between Outback / Forester.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Second new car purchase in my life and subsequently the second time I ever price negotiated for a car...

Portland, Oregon area.

2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Plasma Yellow Pearl

$26,495 MSRP
$1,600 Option Package 22
  • Subaru Starlink 8" Multimedia Plus Sustem
  • Blind Spot Detection w/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Lane Change Assist
  • Power Moonroof
$929 Sport Model Only Package
  • Mirror Compass w/ Homelink
  • Rear Bumper Cover
  • Splash Guards
  • All-Weather Liners
  • Rear Seat Back Protector
$235 Exterior Auto Dim Mirror
$61 Cargo Net Rear
$1,050 Destination and Delivery

$30,370 Total Suggested Retail Price
$28,290 Invoice Price listed on Edmunds

I was able to to negotiate $28,119.95 OTD (includes TTL). Negotiating was just contacting all dealerships by email within a 50 mile area and asking for quotes. Then just passing quotes around until the lowest price came out of it. Portland, I think, is a tough market to negotiate for Subarus since the PNW is like Subaru Capital USA.

In the email copy I sent to every dealership I was straight up honest, telling them my intentions, which was to extract quotes from them and passing it around until I got the lowest price and looking to sign a deal by the end of the week if not earlier (email was sent out on Monday). Some salesman were very receptive to my directness, honesty, and going straight to business, while a couple didn't want to play the game. I signed for the car the next day (Tuesday).

Apparently there were only two Crosstreks in Plasma Yellow within a 50 mile radius. Some dealers tried to use that as leverage for quotes. Other's promised to source one at a decent-to-great quotes. I ended up buying from a dealership which had one in inventory and was able to get the rate using a quote from another dealer who said they'll source me the car. They responded $100 under the competitor's quote.

Forgot I wanted Smokey the Bear plates instead of the Oregon Tree and I added the 3 year Starlink Security subscription, so that was another $120 on top. So really OTD was $28,239.15.

View attachment 303773

Price breakdown:

$27,184.95 Total Vehicle Sales Price
$552.50 License & Registration (4 years)
$103 Title Fee
$115 Title & Registration Processing Fee
$35 Electronic Vehicle Registration
$112.78 Oregon Corporation Activity Tax
$135.92 Privilege Tax

Total $28,239.15

So comparing to invoice price:

$50.85 below invoice price when using OTD
$1,105.05 below invoice price when using Total Vehicle Sales Price

10.5% off of Total Suggested Retail Price when using Total Vehicle Sales Price

According to Truecar I did pretty good for my area. Excellent pricing is listed at below $28,143 for my area. I am assuming this doesn't include TTL.

I opted to finance at 0.9% for 48 months at 0% down. Could have paid cash too. Didn't want to put anything down since at that rate I rather just put the downpayment/cash in some mutual fund. Pretty confident I can beat out 0.9% over 4 years in the market.

Reference material below:
View attachment 303772
View attachment 303771

View attachment 303774
Thanks for this, I am in the market in Portland for a crosstrek! Maybe I missed it but what dealership did you end up going with.

Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for this, I am in the market in Portland for a crosstrek! Maybe I missed it but what dealership did you end up going with.

Cheers!
I ended up going with Carr Subaru in Beaverton.

When I was price shopping I hit up the following dealerships by email.

• Subaru of Portland
  • Armstrong Subaru
  • Gresham Subaru
  • Lithia Subaru of Oregon City
  • Royal Moore Subaru
  • Wilsonville Subaru
  • Carr Subaru

I had good interactions and competitive quotes from Armstrong, Royal Moore, and Carr. They answered all the questions I had, understood the rules I laid out with the car buying and played along with it, and were all very accommodating and professional. Your experience may vary.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Isn’t this far too specific to list? Everyone lives somewhere else, has all sorts of options for each vehicle, and the timeline of when they bought, versus someone in the future.
It doesn’t seem like that would work for me to walk into the dealer and say “hey this guy 200miles from me paid this for a differently optioned vehicle. The sale guy just has to say “take it or leave it.”

·
Registered
60 Posts
Isn’t this far too specific to list? Everyone lives somewhere else, has all sorts of options for each vehicle, and the timeline of when they bought, versus someone in the future.
It doesn’t seem like that would work for me to walk into the dealer and say “hey this guy 200miles from me paid this for a differently optioned vehicle. The sale guy just has to say “take it or leave it.”
You are doing it wrong if you are just pointing out some stranger paid a certain price to the sales person and you want the price. You don't ask your boss to give you a raise because a colleague is getting paid higher than you, yeah?

I don't know who you are referencing to, but for my post I think the important take away is the methodology in how the price was obtained in my area and what resulted, not the price or the trim/year/options of the vehicle. All of that information is just for context.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You are doing it wrong if you are just pointing out some stranger paid a certain price to the sales person and you want the price. You don't ask your boss to give you a raise because a colleague is getting paid higher than you, yeah?

I don't know who you are referencing to, but for my post I think the important take away is the methodology in how the price was obtained in my area and what resulted, not the price or the trim/year/options of the vehicle. All of that information is just for context.
Ah. Perhaps I misunderstood the point. I thought this was to help folks see what someone paid for a crosstrek. And using that info to get the same deal elsewhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ah. Perhaps I misunderstood the point. I thought this was to help folks see what someone paid for a crosstrek. And using that info to get the same deal elsewhere.
Ahh gotcha.

I think, with the information, someone in the same area can get an idea of what kind of floored pricing people are getting, what dealerships are good to work with, and get an idea how much they could negotiate (whether they should negotiate by just playing hard to sell to, or hitting up more dealerships around the area to get lower quotes and getting others to beat it, or something else). But yeah, dropping into a dealership and pointing at what someone else on the internet may have paid isn't probably going to yield great results.

It's all an information game and knowing how to use it...

·
Registered
7 Posts

Cheers!
I know you already received a response, but chiming in since I’m also in Oregon and just decided which dealership to go with.

I contacted these dealerships:
  • Gresham Subaru
  • Lithia Subaru
  • Wilsonville Subaru
  • Subaru of Portland
  • Royal Moore Subaru
  • Carr Subaru
  • Capitol Subaru

I had the best interactions and quotes from Royal Moore and Carr Subaru. I chose Royal Moore in the end.

181 - 200 of 275 Posts