Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently purchased a rebuilt 2020 Crosstrek Premium (therefore I can't do a warranty repair). I cannot get the dual USB port in the center to recognize anything. I was really excited to be able to use apple carplay but am not seeing a work around if the USB is not working. It will not charge my iPhone or any other devices I have tried it with. The 12v next to it works. I checked the fuse (I'm assuming it was #4 audio/nav) and it was alright. I have reset the head unit a couple times. I have tried various cables and devices. Anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping it is just disconnected in the back but I am not sure if theres a single cable connecting this. What else can I try? Thanks!

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,441 Posts
Hello,

Recently purchased a rebuilt 2020 Crosstrek Premium (therefore I can't do a warranty repair). I cannot get the dual USB port in the center to recognize anything. I was really excited to be able to use apple carplay but am not seeing a work around if the USB is not working. It will not charge my iPhone or any other devices I have tried it with. The 12v next to it works. I checked the fuse (I'm assuming it was #4 audio/nav) and it was alright. I have reset the head unit a couple times. I have tried various cables and devices. Anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping it is just disconnected in the back but I am not sure if theres a single cable connecting this. What else can I try? Thanks!
The infotainment system is fairly easy to remove, so you can see if it's hooked up in the back. You can probably find a YouTube video on how to do it. If you find a good one, post it back here.

·
Registered
2023 Dark Blue Pearl Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
402 Posts
I have had the same issue. The dealer didn't know why but on page 6-10 of the Owners Manual, it states that the console dual USB power supply is only that. I have to use the USB ahead of the gear shift for Apple Carplay.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
I have had the same issue. The dealer didn't know why but on page 6-10 of the Owners Manual, it states that the console dual USB power supply is only that. I have to use the USB ahead of the gear shift for Apple Carplay.
The OP says it doesn't charge either but I wasn't aware of the console USB only charging. That's a change from our '18 and mom-in-law's '19. Maybe they did that to improve connection reliability by shortening the cable from the HU?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited in Horizon Blue Pearl
55 Posts
As [email protected] points out, only the two ports under the dash work with CarPlay. The ones in the center console are for 2.1A charging only. Before you start pulling things apart, I would recommend trying several different USB cables and see if you can get any of them to work. Sometimes certain circuits are extremely finicky with the various OEM and aftermarket USB cables.

·
Registered
2021 Outdoors (Canada only model)
130 Posts
[...]only the two ports under the dash work with CarPlay. The ones in the center console are for 2.1A charging only.
Well that really sucks. I really want to use one of the USB's under the armrest for connecting to Android Auto. I can't stand the "cable management" when using the other 2 directly under the head unit/in front of the gearshift.

I wonder if I can do a swap... Anyone tried that, or is there a better solution?

2021 Outdoor model.

·
Resident topic drifter
17,441 Posts
Well that really sucks. I really want to use one of the USB's under the armrest for connecting to Android Auto. I can't stand the "cable management" when using the other 2 directly under the head unit/in front of the gearshift.

I wonder if I can do a swap... Anyone tried that, or is there a better solution?

2021 Outdoor model.
I'm sure you could run a USB extension from the back of the HU to the armrest. Apparently, the HU is easy to pop out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem in my 2020 Outback. After much head-banging, I found an obscure reference stating that the USB device needs to be in the FAT32 format. I reformatted the drive and, voila', problem solved.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
469 Posts
My 2021 has intermittent issues with the center console USB port also, I think it is normal however, seeing as the ports do work after a short time -

do your ports work after about a thirty second wait from starting the car? Mine are non reactive until about twenty to thirty seconds after startup, and then work fine for both my MagSafe iPhone charger, and my wireless CarPlay adapter that's plugged into the other port. Just that short delay at the startup that's a little annoying, but I'm guessing the system prioritizes power to the startup instead of to accessories.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,433 Posts
Hi how did you format the FAT32? I have the same problem. I thought it was a problem of Androidauto. Thank you.
Plug your thumbdrive into your computer and open 'file explorer' select the thumbdrive, select format, it gives you options on how to format between FAT32 and NTFS, select which you wish then OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your answer , but I think I'm missing something, the problem is at the car's usb port, not a thumbdrive....how can I format the usb port of the car? Do I have to do it via the car's computer...
Sorry for my misunderstanding.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,433 Posts
Thank you for your answer , but I think I'm missing something, the problem is at the car's usb port, not a thumbdrive....how can I format the usb port of the car? Do I have to do it via the car's computer...
Sorry for my misunderstanding.
There is no ability to change the file format of the USB port that I am aware of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts